New Record Tentatively Scheduled...

Italian metal heroes RHAPSODY OF FIRE have finished work on the new record, The Frozen Tears Of Angels, which is once again an outstanding, monumental and epic masterpiece.

Okay, so people actually listen to music (whatever the genre) which has the recordtitle "The frozen tears of angels" in the year of 2010!?
Ok, I'll admit it's funny to ocasionally listen to "Dawn of Victory" for fun at parties sometimes, when in lack of something with substance, when everyone is really, really, really drunk etc. but to listen to it for real, when sane/sober/a normal person etc.? This is something far, far, far, far, far, far beyond my comprehension. I never thought that this would happen. Not on this forum.

The thing is, I think that many of us can agree on many things. We all like Vintersorg on this thread. Most of us also like Borknagar, Otyg, Cronian and Havayoth (I know I do). Many of us also like bands such as Dark Tranquillity and Opeth (I know I definitly don't). Some of us even like Dream Theater (I know I most definitly fucking don't). But I can understand, comprehend and get why people like that sort of music.

I cannot understand how anyone who obviously has some kind of sane taste in music - be it Vintersorg, Opeth, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Aqua, Cannibal Corpse, Michael Jackson or whatever - I cannot never ever understand how anyone can listen to Rhaposdy, be serious and actually like it.
My two (very drunk) cents. I sincerly hope that someone agrees with me. Please!

Rhapsody sucks, like most of power metal as well. I remember when a friend lent me 3 cds from Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius, long time ago. I heard the first 2 songs from the Rhapsody cd and then the rest of the music was just the same shit with little variations on the choruses - mostly on the clean vocals, cause the song structures were all the same. The other 2 cds were the same, same speed, same double bass pattern, same choruses with let ring guitars, same flying solos from guitar and keys, even the same lyrics, etx. I can actually enjoy some Yngwie Malmsteen's material, but the classics' are almost the same shit.

I don't know why people still have some kind of faith on that style, which is really overplayed and so done, like actual melodeath. I don't see any power metal band doing something remotely new, just Dragonforce did it in a way and it sucks so hard that I think most of people wants to hear the same shit over and over, like Iron Maiden 'new' albums. I respect tastes tho.

I hope Mr V can give us an update soon.

Rhapsody sucks, like most of power metal as well. I remember when a friend lent me 3 cds from Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius, long time ago. I heard the first 2 songs from the Rhapsody cd and then the rest of the music was just the same shit with little variations on the choruses - mostly on the clean vocals, cause the song structures were all the same. The other 2 cds were the same, same speed, same double bass pattern, same choruses with let ring guitars, same flying solos from guitar and keys, even the same lyrics, etx. I can actually enjoy some Yngwie Malmsteen's material, but the classics' are almost the same shit.

I don't know why people still have some kind of faith on that style, which is really overplayed and so done, like actual melodeath. I don't see any power metal band doing something remotely new, just Dragonforce did it in a way and it sucks so hard that I think most of people wants to hear the same shit over and over, like Iron Maiden 'new' albums. I respect tastes tho.

I hope Mr V can give us an update soon.

i totally agree!
and being rhapsody italian, you can understand what kind of whorship-treatment they can receive here. :Smug:
i can only say that the singer is fucking panjandrum, he lives near where i live, and can be seen oftently in metal places and pubs. he acts uppity towards everybody and behaves like he is the founder of heavy metal :lol:
i really miss the times when power meant groups like running wild, rage, helstar, vicious rumours, grave digger....

as i said somewhere else, the only powermetal group i'm listening still today is falconer. but they are quite diverse....

In defense of Rhapsody, I think that what they're doing is so awesomely over the top that it's hard for me not to like. I guess it's hard for those who are not native speakers of English to appreciate how awesomely ridiculous this stuff is, but let me say that it's partially 'cause I love the music and it's partially 'cause I just think that the stuff is so silly that it's hard to not love it. A couple of examples: Tony Kakko from Sonata Arctica says "wengeance" instead of "vengeance". Or how Fabio from Rhapsody (great name, btw) sings: The EEEE-mehrahld SWORD! (pronouncing it with a long e like "keep" and "sword" with the "w". Now I know this is kinda mean.. but trust me, it's like when you meet someone with an accent in your language. It's cute and endearing, but sometimes it can lead to unexpected awkwardness and funny moments.

Rhapsody takes that shit to a whole new level. With the ridiculous Dungeons & Dragons lyrics and the over-the-top filmscore kind of music, it just makes me *happy*. There's sort of a swelling feeling that I get in my chest when I get to listen to music so innocent and fun and that's what I love about Rhapsody and older Sonata Arctica and shit like that.

In reference to what Lefay said: that those guys would ever take themselves really *seriously* is sort of funny to me. I mean, they're good musicians and the music is really fun to listen to—but honestly, who takes power metal really seriously anymore? That said, I love the genre when done right. In fact, I think that bands usually start to go downhill when they take themselves so seriously. The point of power metal is to be fun. If I started a band where we sang about fucking dragons and escaping from dungeons, I would definitely NOT take myself seriously.

Oh, I like big epic guitar solos, too.

please somebody does a funny scheme like the prog one that elvina posted using the 20 most powerful words of power metal.
you can create every fucking song title ever written using those 20 words.
fire
wind
steel
sword
king
mighty
valley
forest
emerald
land
power
iron
battle
warrior
hail
mountain
enemy
crown
kingdom
dragon

sometimes, i've to admit, i don't even remember what topics are about, neither reading the titles (sometimes titles are not so explanatory) :lol:
just read the latest post and continue the conversation :lol:

In defense of Rhapsody, I think that what they're doing is so awesomely over the top that it's hard for me not to like. I guess it's hard for those who are not native speakers of English to appreciate how awesomely ridiculous this stuff is, but let me say that it's partially 'cause I love the music and it's partially 'cause I just think that the stuff is so silly that it's hard to not love it. A couple of examples: Tony Kakko from Sonata Arctica says "wengeance" instead of "vengeance". Or how Fabio from Rhapsody (great name, btw) sings: The EEEE-mehrahld SWORD! (pronouncing it with a long e like "keep" and "sword" with the "w". Now I know this is kinda mean.. but trust me, it's like when you meet someone with an accent in your language. It's cute and endearing, but sometimes it can lead to unexpected awkwardness and funny moments.

Rhapsody takes that shit to a whole new level. With the ridiculous Dungeons & Dragons lyrics and the over-the-top filmscore kind of music, it just makes me *happy*. There's sort of a swelling feeling that I get in my chest when I get to listen to music so innocent and fun and that's what I love about Rhapsody and older Sonata Arctica and shit like that.

In reference to what Lefay said: that those guys would ever take themselves really *seriously* is sort of funny to me. I mean, they're good musicians and the music is really fun to listen to—but honestly, who takes power metal really seriously anymore? That said, I love the genre when done right. In fact, I think that bands usually start to go downhill when they take themselves so seriously. The point of power metal is to be fun. If I started a band where we sang about fucking dragons and escaping from dungeons, I would definitely NOT take myself seriously.

Oh, I like big epic guitar solos, too.

Haha yeah epic guitar solos are excellent! :headbang: Indeed, the point of power is not to take things too seriously, and be happy and in the case of epic power to talk about trolls and dungeons. If you don't like it, well don't listen to it, but let others enjoy the music.

I like the new song, more of the same stuff, but the tempo of the drumming is different. S(o)ELII was horrible, but TOA is much better. Hopefully the new album will top the last one.

EDIT:

The cover is pretty nice too, I like the whole 'angels versus dragons' theme.

Listening to the new song again it's obvious that they haven't changed their style (I'm glad they haven't), but they've managed to implement new things to keep it fresh.

please somebody does a funny scheme like the prog one that elvina posted using the 20 most powerful words of power metal.
you can create every fucking song title ever written using those 20 words.
fire
wind
steel
sword
king
mighty
valley
forest
emerald
land
power
iron
battle
warrior
hail
mountain
enemy
crown
kingdom
dragon

Well you seem to know little about Power metal since you didn't include the word 'metal' in the list.

Oh my Cthulhu, please stop this shit already. Let's try for once to keep this thread on topic instead talking about that shit?

Well you may think whatever you want, but Power Metal is far from shit. There may be some horrible songs, but there're also great ones. Prophet of the Last Eclipse from Luca Turilli is a masterpiece, it has excellent compositions. Helloween's Gambling with the Devil is brilliant too, on par with the Keepers, Ring, and Dark Ride. Dream Evil is also an excellent band, one of the new ones that are great, along with Falconer. Sonata Arctica's Ecliptica is very good, even if most of their discography is pretty lame. (I've noticed that I don't really like Finnish Power Metal hehe.)

So there's no need to be angry, just be happy and dance with the elves of the night! :)

That's why I said 'for once' :rofl:.

Anyway. I talk on behalf of myself saying power metal is shit. I do like Falconer and I think I can tolerate Ensiferum (they now sound pretty much like a harsh power metal band instead the epic folk they did on their debut). I kinda share what Novembers said about 'not taking it seriously'. I can't really imagine taking seriously to Manowar.

About Luca Turilli...I think Yngwie did it before and better.

That's why I said 'for once' :rofl:.

Anyway. I talk on behalf of myself saying power metal is shit. I do like Falconer and I think I can tolerate Ensiferum (they now sound pretty much like a harsh power metal band instead the epic folk they did on their debut). I kinda share what Novembers said about 'not taking it seriously'. I can't really imagine taking seriously to Manowar.

About Luca Turilli...I think Yngwie did it before and better.

Haha yeah, how can you take Manowar or olf Helloween seriously :p ?

Oh yeah Yngwie did it better, that's obvious, but Yngwie stagnated after 1996. Most of his current songs are really awful, he's just a fat Swedish guy with lots of money.

Haha yeah, how can you take Manowar or olf Helloween seriously :p ?

Oh yeah Yngwie did it better, that's obvious, but Yngwie stagnated after 1996. Most of his current songs are really awful, he's just a fat Swedish guy with lots of money.

Actually, I don't think that Yngwe did it better at all. His playing is really fantastic, but that dude can't write a song to save his life and his weakness is that he's never been able to deal with any other band or keep singers or anything. The guys from Rhapsody and Symphony X and bands like that are just waaaay better songwriters. They can do what he can do: plus write interesting, catchy songs.

Actually, I don't think that Yngwe did it better at all. His playing is really fantastic, but that dude can't write a song to save his life and his weakness is that he's never been able to deal with any other band or keep singers or anything. The guys from Rhapsody and Symphony X and bands like that are just waaaay better songwriters. They can do what he can do: plus write interesting, catchy songs.

I agree, but the thing is that Yngwie did that first, and in a way gave the basis for a lot of things (i.e. riffs, solos).

His first 3 album more or less shaped what power metal is today. His concerto suite is really well written IMO (he wrote ALL scores btw). 'Twas on the 2000's.

funny Mr.V haven't commented anything on the upcoming album.
but I guess he probably has his hands full with recording the album and also promoting the new borknagar album and god knows what else. Mr V is a busy bee but
he does post here every once in a while.

funny Mr.V haven't commented anything on the upcoming album.
but I guess he probably has his hands full with recording the album and also promoting the new borknagar album and god knows what else. Mr V is a busy bee but
he does post here every once in a while.

Tonight we completed some songs on guitar...guitar and bass left...and I think we've nailed three songs so far. It sounds amazing.I was concerned about the guitar sound as we wanted it to be very organic (if electric guitar can go into such a territory:)) so I just had so get my Marshall into my studio and it was just what we needed. It sound so crisp and at the same time thick and full of energy. We're just dying to start the mix...some time until that though.

mr V

Tonight we completed some songs on guitar...guitar and bass left...and I think we've nailed three songs so far. It sounds amazing.I was concerned about the guitar sound as we wanted it to be very organic (if electric guitar can go into such a territory:)) so I just had so get my Marshall into my studio and it was just what we needed. It sound so crisp and at the same time thick and full of energy. We're just dying to start the mix...some time until that though.

mr V

What kind? It's hard to go wrong with tube amps, innit? :headbang: