New RME Fireface UFX

In-built monitor controller... freakin sweet!

Looks like an awesome unit. All that aside, I've already created something that functions identically, if not better using an entirely modular RME rig, so no regrets. But someone looking to get into mid/high end interfaces should definitely look at it.

Want so bad... I already was gassing huge for the Fireface UC and this is now everything I could ever dream of! Really excited about the new RME USB stuff, it is setting new standards in USB audio with latency lower than any Firewire interfaces. Looks like USB was capable all along but nobody put the R&D into it to make the best of it. The idea of having an interface as powerful as the UFX that is compatible with any computer in the world thanks to the USB standard is so appealing. Also, the onboard tracking FX is really neat too, separate channel strip for every input and a reverb bus that's all controllable from TotalMix... Basically like "good enough" TDM plugins that someone running a native system can use while tracking and then replace with better plugs in the mix. So cool!

Fuck Firewire. Fuck it up it's stupid ass.

Yeah fuck firewire... PCI-E all the way :p

Can't disagree... When I put together another studio desktop and stop doing all my sessions on my Macbook Pro I might have to go the PCI-E route. No real reason not to. Just keep my Profire and Octopre and run them in via ADAT, should work okay...

Actually anybody know exactly how that would work? Say I had an RME 9652... I am guessing for clocking purposes, I would have to run the Octopre into the Profirec ADAT 1 in which would be in standalone mode, then send the Profire analog outputs to Profire ADAT Out 1 into the RME and send the Octopre through the Profire's ADAT Out 2 also into the RME, then ADAT out from the RME into the Profire ADAT in 2 which fed the analog outputs of the Profire? Complicated, haha...

I_Love_Firewire-20081018-064106.jpg

I don't think 1699 EUR is that expensive. I mean the old Fireface is still 1155 EUR!

Jeff, what did you use the SPDIF for? All I can think of are one/two chan pres that have SPDIF. But I remember looking them up when I still had my Firepod and there didn't seem to be any worth mentioning unless you were desperate for those two extra channels and you'd be willing to take whatever you could get.

Edit: Just found out that there are some SPDIF out there that are quite nice. But still, why bother for those one or two channels?

I don't think 1699 EUR is that expensive. I mean the old Fireface is still 1155 EUR!

Jeff, what did you use the SPDIF for? All I can think of are one/two chan pres that have SPDIF. But I remember looking them up when I still had my Firepod and there didn't seem to be any worth mentioning unless you were desperate for those two extra channels and you'd be willing to take whatever you could get.

Edit: Just found out that there are some SPDIF out there that are quite nice. But still, why bother for those one or two channels?

I think he just uses SPDIF for his POD XT to save an analog input.

Looks like it still has spdif
"2 x ADAT I/O (or 1 x ADAT I/O plus 1 x SPDIF I/O optical)" in the connectivity info box.
Focusrite ISA one digital has spdif on it, getting one soon planning on using it with my firepod till I can afford the FF800.

I use it for my PODxt Pro and am planning on eventually snagging a Finalizer, which I'd run via SPDIF as well.

There are some pres like the MiCO that I'm interested in getting, because I can get the preamp/conversion of the ASP008 but without 8 channels, which I don't really need/want to pay for.