New RME Fireface UFX

Kinda sucks that it doesn't provide outputs for additional monitors. Once you want to hook up a second or third set for referencing you're going to need a dedicated monitor controller again...

Kinda sucks that it doesn't provide outputs for additional monitors. Once you want to hook up a second or third set for referencing you're going to need a dedicated monitor controller again...

Umm, 30 outputs is not enough for ya?

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_ufx.php#7

Monitor Controller
Fireface UFX

The UFX is not only a perfect desktop level controller, but a monitor switcher and source selector with integrated talkback function for modern Mix-In-the-Box studios. As the UFX includes the usually externally added monitoring controller, it also preserves the original sound, as its hardware output stays directly connected to the studio monitors.

Level Control . The big rotary encoder on the front of the UFX maintains precisely controls the three dedicated stereo monitor outputs Main Out, Phones 1 and Phones 2. Start turning the volume encoder and the display shows the current gain value in big numbers. The small encoder buttons provide direct access to pan and reverb for the selected output. Pushing the volume knob switches between the outputs.

Monitor Management . The above gain (volume) settings at the unit work hand in hand with the Control Room section of TotalMix FX. Any physical output can be assigned to the three, directly knob-controlled monitor outputs. E.g. just assign the AES/EBU output as Main Out, or as Phones Out - any output can be used. The functions Talkback, Listenback, Mono and Dim will work automatically for the assigned outputs in the expected way. Convenience at its best.

Hardware Remote . The UFX has a connector for the optional RME hardware remote, with controls for Volume, DIM, level storage and Recall.

LOL. Just accidently discovered the UFX while stalking on their website. I came all over my screen. This is a ridiculously great unit.
I love my FF800 and the UFX is just.. with everything better and a few features I've always wanted.
Seems like at least RME is listening to their buyers' concerns. Unlike AVID :lol:
The missing monitor controller always bugged me. I bought a Central Station just yesterday and now this :( FFFFFUUUUUUUU
TotalMix is already awesome and TotalMix FX looks like heaven to me. The built in effects are what I'm missing for (nearly) latency free headphone mixes for vocalists etc.
Goddamn it, massive fucking GAS.

PS: It looks absolutely tits, too.

Btw, the Fireface guys should download the driver 2.83. Note that you NEED Firmware 2.77 to do that! Make shure your FW is up to date (it's from 2009, though).
"- Improved low latency performance, roundtrip latency reduced by 32 samples."
:)

Btw, the Fireface guys should download the driver 2.83. Note that you NEED Firmware 2.77 to do that! Make shure your FW is up to date (it's from 2009, though).
"- Improved low latency performance, roundtrip latency reduced by 32 samples."
:)

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like they have fairly new drivers (from August) for the HDSP/HDSPe series cards too. Going to download those and see if I notice any improvement in latency on my HDSP 9632.

I just updated my driver for version 3.027, and i noticed that on phone output settings where i have HI gain, +4 db , and -10dbV settings, the -10 dbV is the loudest, is this normal? if i remember corectly it has to be the lowest?

Umm, 30 outputs is not enough for ya?

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_ufx.php#7

Monitor Controller
Fireface UFX

The UFX is not only a perfect desktop level controller, but a monitor switcher and source selector with integrated talkback function for modern Mix-In-the-Box studios. As the UFX includes the usually externally added monitoring controller, it also preserves the original sound, as its hardware output stays directly connected to the studio monitors.

Level Control . The big rotary encoder on the front of the UFX maintains precisely controls the three dedicated stereo monitor outputs Main Out, Phones 1 and Phones 2. Start turning the volume encoder and the display shows the current gain value in big numbers. The small encoder buttons provide direct access to pan and reverb for the selected output. Pushing the volume knob switches between the outputs.

Monitor Management . The above gain (volume) settings at the unit work hand in hand with the Control Room section of TotalMix FX. Any physical output can be assigned to the three, directly knob-controlled monitor outputs. E.g. just assign the AES/EBU output as Main Out, or as Phones Out - any output can be used. The functions Talkback, Listenback, Mono and Dim will work automatically for the assigned outputs in the expected way. Convenience at its best.

Hardware Remote . The UFX has a connector for the optional RME hardware remote, with controls for Volume, DIM, level storage and Recall.
Doesn't this mean that you can only control the Main Out and Phones 1+2 with the rotary control? That's actually what I meant. I know that there are plenty of outputs to monitors but what use are they if I can't control their level via a knob?

Another thing that bugs me about the (old and new) Fireface: Why don't they make the unit two rack spaces and place the preamps (and the second headphone out) on the back? I mean they are most likely going to end up in a rack anyway and I really wouldn't want those XLR-cables going from the live room somewhere to the front of the unit.

Sorry for the necro bump but what's the word on these now that they've been out a while? Those that own it, any issues?
No, it's fucking awesome and I regret every second I did not own it. :D A virtually infinite number of routing possibilities, zero-latency monitor mixes with EQ,comp and effects, doesn't affect the performance of the PC/Mac since it's all dsp based, absolutely stable and reliable it never crashed / stopped recording / make any problems at all.
You can control everything very smoothly and fast with the LCD screen and the buttons and knobs, or just do it in the software. I first thought the display would be too small or the handling too inconvenient but I do pretty much everything on the unit itself.
For my workflow it was a huge improvement over the FF800. RME updates the driver very frequently with new functions (you can record directly to a harddisk or USB-stick parallel to the normal recording, or do it standalone) and further improvements (allthough it's even fast enough, I run the system with a buffer size of 64 and it's flawless).
And yes, I fucking love this thing. ;)

PS: I run it via USB, but either FW or USB work just fine. I read somewhere that the early drivers were a bit faster for USB so I just sticked to it.

How low is the latency on these? Comparable to PCI cards? I know PCI-e have the lowest latency... my old rme 9632 pci is pretty damn good for how long it's been around. would the usb on this be faster than my 9632?

How low is the latency on these? Comparable to PCI cards? I know PCI-e have the lowest latency... my old rme 9632 pci is pretty damn good for how long it's been around. would the usb on this be faster than my 9632?
Well.. there is no latency when you record real instruments. You can do the full monitoring-mix with the zero-latency dsp chips in the UFX: You have faders, pan, dynamics, eq and FX for each channel and you can do several monitor mixes at once.

If you use amp sims etc, it's a different story. Here is a detailled list of tests regarding the latency of different interfaces:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/6960162-post117.html

The RME PCI-E cards are still faster, but the difference is shrinking ;)
And the new Total Mix FX >>>> the old Total Mix.
So personally, I chose the UFX over the existing PCI-E solutions by RME. Plus you can use it with both USB or FW which makes it easy to switch your system or record with a laptop with a portable setup etc.

PS: The PCI-E cards in his test setups are both newer and more expensive than the 9632 so I guess it is a little slower, but I found no data comparing it to the UFX.

Hmm, yeah it seems it would be awesome to have because of how good the latency is while still being USB. You could use this thing on subpar laptops and really old desktops at remote locations just for tracking, using the dsp effects for monitoring. pretty cool.