6. UNDERCODE - Great White Buffalo
7. KNIGHTMARE - Circle Of Light
8. SPECTRE DRAGON - Dogs Of War
9. WHEELS OF STEEL - Get Down And Dirty
10. ANGELCRYPT - Altar Of The Gods
11. XIRON - All Guns Blazing
12. UNDERCODE - Broken Heroes
13. TRAGIDIAN - Motorcycle Man

Can't say I've heard of too many bands here...

I got the first saxon tribute album which isent that good, think the band that covered rock n roll gypsies was good on there.

ill get this new saxon trib album, But cant we have a saxon tribute album with bands we no like judas priest maiden metallica etc etc covering saxon songs for a tribute album.

Just ordered the recent tribute album (Matrattz, Amazon owe you some kind of commision, Mate!) and whilst I was at it, I ordered the old tribute album as well!
Regarding the bands - well there is a band on there apparently called 'Wheels Of Steel'. That tells me they are a tribute band and obviously not signed or stuff. No problem with that, but it sounds like it may be a compilation made by amateur bands and stuff. I may be wrong - there could be a mix of some pro musicians in there simply using a quicky thought up name to come across like a band.
Saxon747 - I'm sure that there would be a good amount of artists interested in contributing to a tribute album. After all, Saxon were one of the big 3 in the NWOBHM period, along with Maiden and Leppard. They must've inspired an awful lot of young musicians at the time that have now become successful artists. I'm sure that members from Priest, Motorhead, Maiden etc would be willing to participate, as they seemed to work together well with Saxon during the early eighties and stuff.
It probably comes down to one thing - organising the project. It must be a pretty tough job.
Mind you, there must be a fair few pretty successful European bands out there that could participate?

By the way, Matrattz - you're setlist for the tribute album: I've never heard of a Saxon track called 'Broken Herpes' but I do know that the Doctor can give you some cream for it!!

Thanks for the links, MatRattz. I'm looking forward to getting my copy. It sounds as if there are at least a few interesting versions on it. I'd prefer if the bands did it in their own style, anyhow. That is what makes those kind of cover versions intriguing!

As for the 'Broken Herpes' - I'm not interested about that. I already had it and didn't think much of it. I decided to give it to a mate of mine...!

I'm joking, of course.... Or am I...?

MatRattz said:

Thanks for the links!

Time for Eagleution eh!

".......the anti-terror speech of Bush at the beginning of the album is totally misplaced"

".......Dark Age has made ‘Heavy Metal Thunder’ almost unrecognizable"

I dont think its gonna hurt too much if i decide to give this one a miss!!
Nightwar mate - I await your review with great (but not that great) interest!!

Well...
As I received my copy of the older tribute album the other day, I thought I could give it a little review. I should be receiving the new tribute album from the States shortly.

Now, I can recall what many forum members had to say about this tribute album - 'A Metal Crusade' - and none of it was good. Apparently, this CD was so bad it wasn't even funny to listen to!
Well, as a huge - and very protective - Saxon fan, you can understand my hesitation when I shoved this CD into my music system!
But...

To be honest, this ain't a bad album! It ain't a good album, either. But it is not as half as bad as some people suggested!
Now if this was a 'Star In Your Eyes' tribute album - ie: people trying to sound exactly like Saxon - I would have been uninterested and very critical. I mean, what is the point of that kind of thing? Not only is that method of tribute exceedingly boring, it exposes the performing tribute artists' creative impotence! Why try and copy something exactly? What is the performer (and the listener) getting out of it?

It is for this reason alone that 'A Metal Crusade' wins and loses!

The Eagle Has Landed - Steel Prophet: a faithfull version with a few sound effect added to the vocals to add atmosphere. The music is performed well, but when you listen to this, you realise just how good Glockler and Oliver were. 7/10.
Power & The Glory - October 31: Musically, this is a very good version. Nice and rough sounding. The vocals are a little tame compared to the Biff version, but you have a feeling the band genuinely liked playing this song. The only thing not up to scratch, compared to the original, is the guitar solo. 8/10.
20,000 Feet - Diary: Not very well produced, but you can tell that the performers were well into it and knew the song well. 7/10.
Heavy Metal Thunder - Agent Steel: This band fully exploited themselves on this track. It is 'Heavy Metal Thunder' but definately in their own way. Therefore, respect is due! Lots of energy. 8/10.
Fire In The Sky - Deceased: This is a band trying to sound like the original. It just isn't going to happen! Saxon are the one and only, and this proves that artists ought to provide their own flavour and colour to tribute songs. It's ok, but does not offer anything new. 6/10.
Set Me Free - Black Earth: Lots of energy, but messy production and it all sounds a little rushed when performed. 6/10.
747 (strangers) - Tyrant: The worst track on the album. This is a bit of an insult to some classic song writing! I have a suspicion that half the band did not really know the song they were playing! On a positive side, this is definately unlike the Saxon version and, therefore, kind of fresh sounding! But, if this is how Tyrant go about performing material, please count me out! I suppose the singer has a style, but it is a style that comes across like a moaning 4 year old! Absolutley horrible! If this was not such a classic song, I would not be so offended - but it is and I am!!! 2/10 (just for getting the chord structure correct!)
This Town Rocks - Brazen: Lots of energy. The band obviously knew the song and enjoyed themselves. But they aren't the tops vocally or musically! 6/10.
Motorcycle Man - Abattoir: Good solid version but, like above, the band has a sound that tells me they are not that professional. 6/10.
Rock n' Roll Gypsy - Silent Shadows: A sloppy version of a pretty basic (but well-written) rock track. This tells me that not all the members were familiar with the song. Nice enough, though. 6/10.

And that's it for the old tribute album. It's what I kind of expected and I'm glad I bought it! My main gripe is the track list. Out of the huge amount of classics that Saxon have done, there are some odd choices there!
But it looks like this new double CD tribute will rectify this.

thx Nightwar for your review:)

My eye fell on one band 'Wheels of Steel' on the latest tribute album. On this board 'OLBAHAT' (=nickname....topic :SAXON TRIBUTE ALBUM) mentioned this band earlier on the board. It has a website http://www.wheels-of-steel.de (Hope it is the same band:Spin: ) I wrote down my comment on their mp3's on their website under the topic Saxon tribute album here on 747 (Hope its clear?). I did ask in that entry of mine :"Why isnt this band on any tribute CD?" Well somebody listened I suppose and they are on a Saxon tribute album now:) !!!!! I havent heard the song on the latest tribute of them, but their mp3's (Sieh webpage) I still have (burned and well on a CD-r) and I like listening to them...The guitar work is in my opinion close to Saxon Style with some extra flavour. I like it...The vocals is another story, for all the female background-vocals I am not fond of that.. but the energy is ok and the female too:loco: But I understand other people may have another opinion and thats fiine to me. (Maybe some of you can commend on their MP3 on their webpage?) Power and glory I like and Devil rides out

Interesting, amusing and well written review! I enjoyed reading that more than listening to it! cheers mate! Maybe that review will inspire me to root the cd out and give it another listen....Then again maybe not !

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Valanx - Like you, my copy will probably find its way to the bottom of a dusty CD collection, but I'm always pretty generous when it comes to tribute stuff. I think that part of the novelty is just listening to a familiar song done by different people. So the quality rating is not as important to me, if you know what I mean?
HeavyCelli - thanks for the link. I'm going to have to check it out! Female singers on 'Wheels Of Steel'!!? Mmmmm.... I really think they should be there, but simply for visual stimuli! After all, that is the only time women should get involved on biker songs, ain't it!!

Of course, I'm joking.... Aren't I....?

here you can hear a short preview of the songs:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007DHPW6/qid=1113090317/302-4740797-3661630

i also listened into it but i think its not worth the money

on the first saxon tribute album there were some songs which were really great (for example the eagle has landed performed by steel prophet was great imho) but my ears told me that the songs on THIS release are not so well done :yuk:

anyway - enjoy the songs if you like them ! :p

Mr Paxoman - I ordered both tribute CDs from good, old Amazon UK.
The older tribute CD came within a few days, but I'm having to wait for a couple of weeks for the recent one because it has to be shipped from the States.
Both CDs cost about £12.
Amazon aren't always the cheapest but they have always provided a decent service.

Cheers Nightwar. Yeah I've always found Amazon to be very good, although not always so cheap. I tried to order it from Remedy (the label that is releasing the CD). It was about 13 euros, which I thought was pretty good value. But you had to order a minimum of 25 euros or something, so I gave up on that one!

SAXONATOR said:
here you can hear a short preview of the songs:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007DHPW6/qid%3D1113090317/302-4740797-3661630

i also listened into it but i think its not worth the money

on the first saxon tribute album there were some songs which were really great (for example the eagle has landed performed by steel prophet was great imho) but my ears told me that the songs on THIS release are not so well done :yuk:

anyway - enjoy the songs if you like them ! :p

Thanks for that link! I hope never to hear badly performed Saxon songs again!!!!!!!