New Soilwork.....

Jan 4, 2004
Ok so I hear the new Soilwork album is getting mastered right now. I just have my fingers crossed that this is going to be at least somewhat as good as their earlier stuff. Anyone have any hopes, or am I just holding on to unrealistic hopes? :Smug:

I am not expecting anything at all since I do not own any of their albums... :err: I was very dissapointed a few years ago when I saw them live and they STUNK... hence my disinterest in anything they do.

People keep telling me to give them a try and so on, but I argue back that if a band can't deliver the goods at a live show they are not really a band but just the product of what the studio technology can do. *Shrugs*

I'd be very surprised if their sound didn't continue to move in a more commercial direction. That being said, I'd love it if they took the slick production they had on NBC and applied it to songs in the vein of APP.

Zod

General Zod said:
I'd be very surprised if their sound didn't continue to move in a more commercial direction. That being said, I'd love it if they took the slick production they had on NBC and applied it to songs in the vein of APP.

Zod

I wholeheartedly agree. That would be the absolute best alternative to whatever I fear they are about to release. APP is their best album my far :headbang:

pallarandersvisa said:
what was wrong with APP?
Nothing. The production on APP is excellent. However, the production, as well as the maturity of the song writing, was a bit higher on NBC. Which isn't to say I like NBC better, I don't. APP is my favorite Soilwork release.

Zod

Soilwork and In Flames are clones of each other now in terms of stylistic direction. Figure Number Five was their Reroute, so Im actually thinking the new one will be just as bad as Soundtrack to Ass or even worse if that's possible. Actually it could be, they could cowrite with Eternal Combustion

Ben

Daybreaker said:
Soilwork and In Flames are clones of each other now in terms of stylistic direction. Figure Number Five was their Reroute...
Well, using that same argument, you could argue that Soilwork will return to the sound of NBC, as "Soundtrack" is more aggressive than "Reroute". I believe In Flames is definitely in this for the money, and are committed to taking the band in whatever direction they believe will sell the most records. I'm not convinced that Soilwork is in that same mindset.

With 99% of Metal bands, you have to assume that their sound will move in a less aggressive and more refined direction as time passes. For one, their getting older, and will naturally lose that youthful intensity. Additionally, if they enjoy any success, they’ll also lose that "pissed at the world" approach. It’s hard to be pissed at the world when you're making some decent coin.

FNF may have simply been an ugly stage in Soilwork’s evolution. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

Zod

I have both Fig. No. Five and Soundtrack, and don't really absolutely hate either one. I actually like Soundtrack quite a bit, though it's not anywhere near the immortal Whoracle, and Figure has about 5 good songs, though all the rhythm parts sound exactly the same and the guitars in general are boring as fuck.

I don't find myself listening to either very often, though. Dark Tranquillity is lightyears ahead of both bands nowadays, so their newest material occupies my time much, much more. Of course, I still listen to Soilwork and In Flames' old classics all the time.

Their degeneration comes from the fact that both bands are trying to support themselves with their music. All the members of DT have other jobs, so their lack of dependency on their music to make them money removes the temptation to compromise. In fact, "Lost to Apathy" from the newest album is some of the thrashiest material they've done in a long time. Hooray for integrity!

With 99% of Metal bands, you have to assume that their sound will move in a less aggressive and more refined direction as time passes. For one, their getting older, and will naturally lose that youthful intensity. Additionally, if they enjoy any success, they’ll also lose that "pissed at the world" approach. It’s hard to be pissed at the world when you're making some decent coin.
[/QUOTE]

This makes a lot of sense; I've thought the same thing.

um, if you guys haven't already bought it, you need Disarmonia Mundi's new album 'Fragments of a Degeneration". In my opinion, it's the best metal album to come out since A Predator's Portrait. It's even got Speed on vocals. It's a fucking masterpiece.
-j

Neither the Disarmonia Mundi or the Lilitu impressed me. The Disarmonia Mundi just doesn't offer much in the way of uniqueness, and the songs themselves just aren't all that strong. I know a number of people who really dig this disc, but it just doesn't do it for me. Regardless, if you like this genre, you may want to check out "Eternium" by Diablo (if you can find it).

As for Lilitu, I don't care for either the male Death vox or the famale clean vox.

Zod

disarmonia mundi is no way, no how in the same league as A predator's Portrait. the songs are very poorly written, there is not NEARLY as good guitar work. some of the songs are catchy, but god damn, APP deserves more respect than this

Daybreaker said:
Soilwork and In Flames are clones of each other now in terms of stylistic direction. Figure Number Five was their Reroute, so Im actually thinking the new one will be just as bad as Soundtrack to Ass or even worse if that's possible. Actually it could be, they could cowrite with Eternal Combustion

Ben

Eternal Combustion rules, they are better than In Flames, Soilwork, and Pyramaze :D