New Suicide Silence

I wouldn't hate a band because of its fans, cuz I really like Job for a Cowboy's "Genesis" (but fucking DESPISE "Doom" :Smug: )

This.

I like genesis, it's a more straightforward death metal album. But Doom is all pig squeels and BREEs. I think suicide silence would be better if they fixed the vocals that's all. from what i can tell on that new song, they seem to be moving in a newer direction, somewhat away from generic deathcore.

OK Lemme set everyone straight.

Yes, they are popular. I have advocated popularity so that's not a hit against them in my book. For fucks sakes I ADVOCATE selling out I 'll quote myself " I've been trying to sell out for a while now."

That's not my beef with them,.

I was one of the ONLY cats on here that liked playing for fun. Remeber the "bands are work" thread??? I said that it should be kept fun. Once again not a strike against them.

Chimiara and Devildriver don't market themselves as death-anything. Which makes that point pretty useless.

ALL I'm saying is that if you took these guys' fans for the most part and showed them some death metal. Not necessarily OLD death metal- just plain old death -metal minus the scene, and core, and whitebelts and xxsmall shirts they would prolly not dig it.

I say that cause I know that a bunch of people like them, but when I bring up suffo, or origin, or vomit the soul, or whoever the fuck else, Spawn of Possession etc. They just shrug and go "meh".

I just think it's death metal marketed at kids that don't like death metal.

I'm all for heavy shit being popular I just think this band is turning death metal into a mockery of itself, which if we are honest, is pretty fucking impossible cause it's so silly anyway haha.

I just don't like em. Same with Whitechapel, and Impending Doom and Carnifex etc etc etc etc.

Theres no need to debate it really.
I have no problem with them as people, I think bringing up they are cool dudes has nothing to do with their music. I bet they are really cool people, buit that doesn't m,ean I'm going to go buy their CD.

I'm not trying to argue with you at all dude, I see that you have completely valid points. But I thought I might as well reply to you so as not to be rude... I'd also like to state that my post wasn't directed at you, or even entirely at anyone else in this thread or on this forum, but just at people in general. In the same way that it's cool to like Suicide Silence, I fucking hate the new "trend" of disliking whatever everyone else likes.

On the Chimaira and Devildriver point, I simply meant it in terms of the fact that they're making modern sounding music, taking aspects of older metal, but people don't seem to have a problem with that.

The only part of your argument that I slightly disagree on is the way you seemed to imply that if you like Suicide silence, then you ought to like Origin and Suffocation. Even though I personally do like both of those bands, I don't see how there's that much of a similarity. They're VERY different sounding bands.

I completely agree with you that it's a fucking piss take that people pretend to like bands just because they think it's cool to be into "brootalz death metulz". But personally I wouldn't blame Suicide Silence, Carnifex or Whitechapel for that, or any of the bands that play in that style.

This is the reason that I brought up the fact that they were cool guys who were actually genuinely into the music that they play.

I didn't mean it as in "they're nice guys cut them some slack" I meant it as in to me atleast, they seemed like they genuinely enjoyed the music that they create, and weren't just doing it to try and get popular.

I just personally take the view that they seem to enjoy making their music. Other people seem to enjoy it. Even if they don't like the things that it has taken influence from. One of my best friends doesn't like milk, but she drinks rice-milk which tastes like off-milk but worse in my opinion...

If you don't like it then fair enough man, I didn't mean to argue with you. I was just voicing my opinion as you were.

Hope this cleared up what I meant with my previous post and didn't make me look too much of a dick.

Peace dude.

ALL I'm saying is that if you took these guys' fans for the most part and showed them some death metal. Not necessarily OLD death metal- just plain old death -metal minus the scene, and core, and whitebelts and xxsmall shirts they would prolly not dig it.

Honestly though dude, I think you're hardly one to talk in this department, since I felt the similar surprise and horror when you said you like Killswitch more than In Flames, but I've come to understand that just because people like a band doesn't mean they'll like the bands that influenced said band! (and I can totally relate, cuz I really can't stand most old-school thrash). So not saying I'm any different in this respect, just saying judge not lest ye be judged ;)

I got a good first impression of this band. We were in Greece and some Swedish babes hailed us from their hotel balcony to come to there room to play drinking games, chew tobacco, and listen to Swedish Death metal (Suicide Silence). Not sure if they are even from Sweden or even death metal. No matter. It was pretty storybook.

They way I see it is, it's fine to like shit music as long as you don't make it out to be any more than that.
I listen to Paramore despite the fact it's just shit pop, I like Suicide Silence knowing completely that it's just shitty chugga chug, talentless Deathcore.
I think as long as someone knows where the real talents at, they can listen to whatever the fuck they want, which is kinda similar to what Marcus said about not liking a band's influences (such as with KSE and In Flames.) As long as you know which band did it first and respect that band for it, it's fine, you don't have to like it.
IMO.

Honestly though dude, I think you're hardly one to talk in this department, since I felt the similar surprise and horror when you said you like Killswitch more than In Flames, but I've come to understand that just because people like a band doesn't mean they'll like the bands that influenced said band! (and I can totally relate, cuz I really can't stand most old-school thrash). So not saying I'm any different in this respect, just saying judge not lest ye be judged ;)

So what?
I still love In Flames. That statement about me liking Killswitch was more about that album cause I think the songs are great. I don't like Killswitch more than In flames,but I like AOJB better than Clayman songwise. So what? Sue me. I see them as completely different things.
Besides I gotta represent MA.:lol:

Most of these kids don't even know about Suffo, Death, etc etc.

@ Homie up there

I wasn't directing that at you either. I don't wanna argue cause I fucking hate the internet argue forum scene. I just quoted that cause I saw it first.

I didn't mean to imply that if you like SS you should like Suffo, but you should ACKNOWLEDGE it exists at least!
I'm sure as shit they like what they are doing that's got nothing to do with what I was talking about.

All I'm saying is I don't like those three bands. That's it. Rubs me the wrong way. Like if your sister started coming onto you. Iggs me out.

I like SS. This thing that breakdowns are childish is something which is only based on what is seen in hardcore/deathcore music today. It is viewed as childish because of the emotions it elicits in the general public, usually related to silly ninja kicks and gayboy slaps.

And about being as subtle as a sledgehammer....So what? Can't something be presented to you in your face without any subtlety?

If there's anything childish about Dead Embryonic Cell's breakdown, then fuck me up the ass. To me, that is a perfect example of a breakdown (it probably wasn't even called that in those times) which doesn't associate itself with today's scene.

Many negative connotations to breakdowns and deathcore go to the way it's perceived visually, not musically I think. I'm not saying that everyone who hates this genre and musical characteristic is totally being biased based on appearance, but I believe it plays a strong effect.

And back to SS, at least 4/5 of these guys didn't forget the art of headbanging and surely put on a show when they're live from what I've seen on youtube. Yes, I believe hair plays an important part in the metal image and presence, but hey that's just me.

OT... scissors61, your touring with a band called Aleera aren't you? I recorded them :) well one song on their page anyway.

Back on topic... hai guize.

Joe

I just dont understand how or why these sorts of bands have burst on the scene and blown up in popularity. What sucks is now they're getting direct support slots for some good tours, pushing better bands into an earlier slot with less show time... and that's fuckin weak, but, oh well, I suppose.

If yer gonna do it, do it right:

Last edited by a moderator: