new to Dark Tranquility

"Oblivion" and "dream" appearing back-to-back, out of order, is exactly what I was referring to!

I suck with Spanish. Second Language education (or "Foreign Language" as it's presumptively called in the U.S.) here sucks. I took four years of Spanish six years ago, and I don't really remember much. Well, except for learning the parts of speech in all languages, which they don't teach us about our own language here.

I wasn't sure if or how much you would be familiar with Lorca. He's most well known for his plays, but I only know him through his poetry. That, and he's Spanish. Obviously, Spanish refers to a particular nationality and a global language. I was not sure how far his works had made it; further (INCOMING PARTIAL IGNORANCE), I see that you are in a Spanish speaking country. I am aware that some countries that Statesians assume to be Spanish-speaking actually speak portuguesa, and I was unsure and too lazy to look it up. You are Spanish, I see now.

What is the quoted line, "Hay un muerto en el cementerio más lejano"? As I said, I don't read Spanish for shit, and I only identified the earlier one without my translated copy from homonyms. I see "cemetary", but past that I'm lost.

More on the Lorca-DT connection later.

"Oblivion" and "dream" appearing back-to-back, out of order, is exactly what I was referring to!

I suck with Spanish. Second Language education (or "Foreign Language" as it's presumptively called in the U.S.) here sucks. I took four years of Spanish six years ago, and I don't really remember much. Well, except for learning the parts of speech in all languages, which they don't teach us about our own language here.

I wasn't sure if or how much you would be familiar with Lorca. He's most well known for his plays, but I only know him through his poetry. That, and he's Spanish. Obviously, Spanish refers to a particular nationality and a global language. I was not sure how far his works had made it; further (INCOMING PARTIAL IGNORANCE), I see that you are in a Spanish speaking country. I am aware that some countries that Statesians assume to be Spanish-speaking actually speak portuguesa, and I was unsure and too lazy to look it up. You are Spanish, I see now.

What is the quoted line, "Hay un muerto en el cementerio más lejano"? As I said, I don't read Spanish for shit, and I only identified the earlier one without my translated copy from homonyms. I see "cemetery", but past that I'm lost.

More on the Lorca-DT connection later.

Hurrah I got it!

See the Culture/Politics thread for a reply on the CRn/Spanish issue.

Haha well "gringos" are not exactly known for their ability to learn languages hahaha. But I'm sure you can, try downloading Rosetta Stone or buy a Teach Yourself Spanish. The latter is very cheap, I have several and all are excellent (but I did notice some are better than others).

See:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/501-Spanish-Verbs-Barrons-Language/dp/0764179845/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278228558&sr=8-1"]501 Spanish Verbs (essential, buy it)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Spanish-Grammar-TY/dp/0071420010/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278228485&sr=8-3"]http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Spanish-Grammar-TY/dp/0071420010/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278228485&sr=8-3[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Yourself-American-Spanish-Complete-Audiopack/dp/0071419047/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278228485&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.com/Yourself-American-Spanish-Complete-Audiopack/dp/0071419047/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278228485&sr=8-2[/ame]

Lists:

http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Spanish/lm/R2XOFCD2LJQURL/ref=cm_lmt_fvlm_f_2_rlrsrs0

http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Spanish/lm/R2XOFCD2LJQURL/ref=cm_lmt_fvlm_f_2_rlrsrs0 :)lol: at the Shakira soundtrack, try Mägo de Oz, Ángeles del Infierno and Barón Rojo (this one being one of the best heavy bands ever).

Do try to continue learning, I'm sure you'll remember a lot of things after a while (happened to me with Japanese).

Back on "topic":

I'm a translator, so this should be pretty accurate:

"Hay un muerto en el cementerio más lejano"

There's a dead [person] in the furthest cemetery.
A dead resides in the furthest cemetery (modulation on this one, but I like it better.)

Am I the only one here completely in love with The Mind's I?

1st,
Hi to everyone...this is my first post here and at UM generally.

2nd,
@Erik Erna, then called me the second one who already gives his heart to The Mind's I since 1997.
Back in 1997, it was my first experience with what it called by "gothenburg riff" and (IMO) this album is more represent with that title than the 2 previous albums.

3rd,
@Stizzle, It's my first time I can't agree with your statement :)
"...that I'm almost tempted to call "flatness."
I also got the same comment with you after running this album around 6 times when I got this album. But then I realized that this album got all the essence of the gothenburg riff...even to compare with The Gallery.

4th,
sorry for my bad English and warm regards from a small country.

Stizzle and Defiance have said quite some interesting things, but I must admit that I'm too tired too react on everything. One thing for sure is that I'm gonna be looking for that book "The Mind's I" in the library here.

Other than that, this is an interesting discussion, but don't you think it may be a bit much for someone who is just getting into DT? ;)

Stizzle and Defiance have said quite some interesting things, but I must admit that I'm too tired too react on everything. One thing for sure is that I'm gonna be looking for that book "The Mind's I" in the library here.

Other than that, this is an interesting discussion, but don't you think it may be a bit much for someone who is just getting into DT? ;)

Har har sorry for deviating so much, but rahvin can easily move these posts to wherever he wants. The Mind's I is also available for download, you could do that and then buy the book; it's quite cheap, around $15.

Yeah I suppose I'll do that, I'm sure I can find it somewhere on amazon or something. Got some other philosophical things to read first now though ;)

Cool, like which? I'm going to start a BA in Philosophy this semester, with only one course, Epistemology. Note that this BA is really just for fun, since I'm also doing a Translation MA right now. Perhaps I'll never finish the Philosophy BA, but it's still nice to take courses somewhat unrelated to your main area of study. Ironically enough, I'm more interested in Math + Philosphy, more than Philosophy of Language. Why? Because I love The Mind's I and… Bertrand Russel! :headbang:

I just finished a part of Heideggers "Being and Time" and probably going to read this book, if nobody else has taken it from the library like last time :lol:

I got one more year of secondary school to finish and then I'm probably going to start a bachelor philosophy at the University of Nijmegen.

My interests lie more in the language though, I've never been really good at maths. Also, existentialism owns :headbang: