New to Enchant - Which album do I get first?

Metal88

Final Flash!
Nov 4, 2001
Fuckville
Visit site
Surely this question has been asked before. I was surprised not to see a sticky thread that has a poll of the fans favorite album(s). After reading reviews on amazon for about 30 minutes, I'm leaning towards getting either "Break" or "Juggling 9" - but am open to any other suggestions.

To put my personal taste in perspective, I love OLD Dream Theater (Images and Words, A Change of Seasons, Awake) but not this new stuff with crap lyrics and vocals. Hehe. I'm a huge Nightingale fan too, in case anyone has heard of them. If you haven't, go over to the Dan Swano forum and check the band out. Any prog/symphonic rock fans should love them.

Maybe someone could create a "favorite enchant album" poll?

My first was...no that won't interest you...I think you should try: "Time lost" (this inbetween-release is really great especially because of Dougs tremendous guitarmelodies) and from the newer ones: "Blink of an eye"...

All musicians I know (and I used to play in a band too) would recommend their latest effort. Having read your thread I took out Enchant's first ever album and it moved me to hear Oasis, Nighttime sky, Acquaintance again (after three or four weeks that is). Then I moved on to Blink of an eye, which is so powerful, but I keep coming back back for Break and consider this album to be THE underrated gem between all the pearls they created.

Still I think, why the f... does Hiphop sell so much better than prog. Three or four cool guys with baseball caps (the other way round) are standing around a burning oil barrel and stammering some sort of pseudo-criticism. And all this while a faceless studio band (and a compouter) generates the same song over and over again....YUCK

You can buy any one of the albums first, better buy all of them and you will be one of the true Enchant fans. The production though has become better and better, so this means Tug of war should be the one to start with. There still is no release that you could avoid (most bands have made such an experience (Saga-Marathon, Genesis-Calling all stations,...)
:wave:

I'm weary about suggesting Time Lost or Blueprint of the World as a first album. The music on both albums is, of course, stellar, but the recording quality is very flat and could easily put off a first time listener before the music has a chance to be absorbed.

I'd go with Blink of an Eye.

Metal88 said:
Surely this question has been asked before. I was surprised not to see a sticky thread that has a poll of the fans favorite album(s). After reading reviews on amazon for about 30 minutes, I'm leaning towards getting either "Break" or "Juggling 9" - but am open to any other suggestions.

To put my personal taste in perspective, I love OLD Dream Theater (Images and Words, A Change of Seasons, Awake) but not this new stuff with crap lyrics and vocals. Hehe. I'm a huge Nightingale fan too, in case anyone has heard of them. If you haven't, go over to the Dan Swano forum and check the band out. Any prog/symphonic rock fans should love them.

Maybe someone could create a "favorite enchant album" poll?
Juggling 9 or Dropping 10

or

Tug of War

Also, you could just head over and listen to some soundbites and use them to figure out what you want.

......then go buy them all

Funny I actually started with Break by pure coincidence and immediately fell in love with the band. Then I got A Blueprint Of The World which was a huge slap in the face.

Like Jim said starting with Live At Last is a very good introduction so I follow his suggestion.

Well now that Live At Last is at last out, I guess thet would be a logical first step. Otherwise...Tug of War, then Blink of An Eye, then back to the begininning with Blueprint of the World, then the rest of the catalog in release order...you won't go wrong with this band!!!

Welcome to the Enchanted flock!

jjmannford said:
Come on guys! I recommend going with the new Live at Last CD. The entire discography is represented, and Enchant is awesome live.

well..................i suppose 'live at last' would be a logical choice.

why is Blueprint drawing heat?..........its pure enchantment :eek:

jjmannford said:
Come on guys! I recommend going with the new Live at Last CD. The entire discography is represented, and Enchant is awesome live.
Well, live DVDs are a given, of course... same with "Rush in Rio".
I for one first heard of Enchant via "Blink of an Eye", and I still think that it's their most easily approachable album... best taken with a shot of "Tug of War". Get "A Blueprint of the World" as quickly as possible... one of the best albums you'll ever hear.
Then, on to "Break" (hugely underrated, I agree) and "Juggling 9 or Dropping 10". "Wounded" and "Time Lost" can prove hard to get into, especially the former... get those as soon as you're used to the rest. But, most importantly... get them ALL!

The Stormbringer said:
Well, live DVDs are a given, of course... same with "Rush in Rio".
I for one first heard of Enchant via "Blink of an Eye", and I still think that it's their most easily approachable album... best taken with a shot of "Tug of War". Get "A Blueprint of the World" as quickly as possible... one of the best albums you'll ever hear.
Then, on to "Break" (hugely underrated, I agree) and "Juggling 9 or Dropping 10". "Wounded" and "Time Lost" can prove hard to get into, especially the former... get those as soon as you're used to the rest. But, most importantly... get them ALL!
Wow...this thread shows the diversity of Enchant and the fans. We each have our favorite, yet like the all.

Juggling 9 or Dropping 10 is probably my favorite, followed by Tug of War. Break is indeed vastly underrated, but not my favorite, and the first one I bought.

And Time Lost was like lost treasure to me.

Sooo...dang...yep.. buy the all. :headbang:

My first reaction is always-chronological order--then again, maybe not. My personal enchanting began with a used copy of Wounded that I bought in Canada for about 3 bucks. After listening to it straight through, I was totally blown away, and amazed that anyone would NOT want that cd. I purchased J9D10 next and that soon became my favorite. It's a very intense album. Then Blink--I think I listened to that one nonstop for a few months. Next was the Time Lost/Wounded SE, I ended up listening to Wounded again about 50 times before checking out Time Lost. TL has some real gems, but I tend to skip around on that cd, rather than playing it straight through. Tug was next--that's the first time EVER that I've waited so anxiously for the release of a cd. What a powerful way to start a cd--Sinking Sand. I finally found Blueprint--the SE, and wow! I know lots of you say the production wasn't that great, etc....but, damn, you can't beat Blueprint for sheer energy and emotion and originality! I have to admit that I attended the iMusicast show without having heard Break. After hearing Break live (Doug sings! Cool!) I of course had to buy Break immediately. That's what's in my player these days. For introducing and hooking other folks who tend not to be proggish, I'd go for Blink and Wounded. Just get them all!:worship:

Kristin
Via overlyenchanted dragon

All of them. Some how I knew that answer would dominate. Hehehe.

I went with Slowhand and his "Time Lost" recommendation, partly b/c he had made the only post when that amazon gift card I had burned a whole in my pocket. Hehe. I also listened to many clips and read reviews on amazon. I'm looking forward to hearing the final track on time lost, Mettle mantle or something similar. After reading these posts, I am most interested in hearing Blueprint. As long as Time Lost is pretty good, that will probably be the CD I get next. Thanks to all, and keep debating. :)

The first Enchant album i got was Wounded, i too bought this album used and couldn't believe someone gave it up. personally, the keyboard riff in "Missing" always reminds me of a Dream Theater song (i think it's from their Awake album). since i can't remember that song's title, obviously, i like Enchant's tune better and trust me, it's better. anyhow, after getting Wounded, i had to get the rest of Enchant's catalog immediately. and i'd now say that Enchant is one of my top 3 favorite bands to play a note.

Just for kicks, the order i got their albums: Wounded, Blueprint of the World, Blink of an Eye, Break, Juggling 9 or Dropping 10, Live at Nearfest 2002 (download), Tug of War, Time Lost, and of course Live at Last.