New to Katatonia

Nov 27, 2006
I've heard about Katatonia to no end for the past few years, and well... I never listened to them. I'm really interested in listening to the band especially after finding out that Blakkheim is a founding member. I'm wondering what would be your reccomendation for starting off listening to Katatonia. Maybe something all inclusive with different sounds. Or could you tell me about a few of their different releases and I'll choose which sounds most appealing.

Cheers, I'm sure I won't be disappointed :kickass:.

Ok, Dance of December Souls is kinda goth influenced doom, Brave Murder Day (My fave) is bleak as fuck doom, Discouraged Ones is one of the most depressive albums you will ever hear (also where the clean vocals come into play), Tonights Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down (my second fave) are basically melancholic rock, then Viva Emptiness and The Great Cold Distance have the same feel but with a harder, even more technical approach? *shrug*
Ok reading back over that i do absolutely none of those albums justice...just get am all man, there all different in their own way and they all FUCKING KICK ASS!!!

Check out the newest. The great cold distance. I would recommend listening to the whole thing, as the one sample on katatonia.com doesn't really say enough about the album.

Well, I personally love ALL the album's to death but imo, I can safely say that Tonight's Decision is my least favourite. It's the only album to me that has more than half of the songs below A+ quality. But hey, there are many that will hold that one above the others so it's all good.

Yeah, I'd go to like amazon.com or something and check out some samples - best bet, for sure.

the past three cds are the best and the two before those are awesome as well.

I'd start with 3 albums: Brave Murder Day, Last Fair Deal Gone Down, and The Great Cold Distance.

Start with:

LAST FAIR DEAL GONE DOWN

2nd step:

THE GREAT COLD DISTANCE

3rd step:

DISCOURAGED ONES

4th step:

TONIGHT'S DECISION AND VIVA EMPTINESS(perfect and brilliant too)

5th step:

buy the BRAVE YESTER DAYS box with(almost) the best material from the old doom/death days

Like I say in every thread like this, every single album is going to get reccomended to you, so make up your own mind about it. You probably won't be dissapointed.

True, but every band has an album that is primarily recommended as a good starting point.

As the poster probably knows, there are different eras of this band.

So I figured I'd start at the beginning. I got the Dance of December. It's awesome, I already love it and I haven't even heard the whole thing yet.

Would you consider Dance of December Souls doom metal? Or would it be like Doom/Death or what? I really don't think I've ever llistened to any doom metal before. Any bands that sound like this? I've heard good things about Agalloch.

So I figured I'd start at the beginning. I got the Dance of December. It's awesome, I already love it and I haven't even heard the whole thing yet.
Hope you don't like it too much, cause no other Katatonia album sounds like that one. The closest is Brave murder day, and after that it just keeps on changing. The newest album is TOTALLY different than the two first.