new to metal

Mr. Palomar

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Hey all. I'm rather new to the metal genre, and as such I'd like some recommendations.

Albums I have and like:
Mastodon "Remission"
Isis "Oceanic"
Cephalic Carnage "Exploiting Dysfunction" (Though I only enjoyed it after seeing them live)
Gorguts "Obscura"
Discordance Axis "Inalienable Dreamless"
Napalm Death "Scum"
Sigh "Imaginary Sonicscape" (I'm curious what you all think of this one)

I also have Emperor's "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk", Nile's "In Their Darkened Shrines", and Meshuggah's "Destroy Erase Improve," but they have really not hit me yet. Maybe I just need to give them some more time. I'm also looking forward to getting the Kayo Dot album.

I think I prefer stuff that is a little strange. My favorite albums at the moment are Bob Drake's "The Skull Mailbox," Scott Walker's "Tilt," The "Oresteia" by Iannis Xenakis, "MDK" by Magma, and I have been listening to a little too much Merzbow recently. Musically my preferences tend towards avant-garde, experimental, and twentieth century classical music, but I also enjoy some progressive rock, hip hop, a lot of jazz, and quite a bit of straight up rock and pop (Super Furry Animals are one of my favorite bands).

I look forward to your recommendations. Thanks!

edit: also, it would be awesome if someone could describe for me what the deal is with the different genre's of metal and how I could recognize them upon hearing them. I don't trust AMG.

Well I will recommend for you:

Agalloch

As you like a bit of Prog you should appreciate this band, they also use some classical instruments. A couple of the songs use Contra Bass, and plenty of variety. Mix Disection with Pink Floyd and there you go.

Check out "The Mantle" as a good place to start

:D

Ephel Duath - The Painter's Pallete
Arcane Sun - Arcane Sun
Symphony X - V, The Divine Wings Of Tragedy or The Odyssey
Candiria - Any of their albums
Cattle Decapitation - To Serve Man
Carcass - Necroticism, Heartwork

There you have a little mix of jazz, classical, hardcore/grindcore and of course, metal.

If you've only just got into the metal genre, I think you've possibly made the best ever start - those are some great bands! I suggest Neurosis, Nasum, 5ive's Continuum Research Project, Origin, Abaddon Incarnate, Cult Of Luna, Old Man Gloom, Avulsed, Aborted, Phantomsmasher, Godflesh, that sort of thing. Good luck, and welcome to the fold!

dill_the_devil said:
If you've only just got into the metal genre, I think you've possibly made the best ever start - those are some great bands! I suggest Neurosis, Nasum, 5ive's Continuum Research Project, Origin, Abaddon Incarnate, Cult Of Luna, Old Man Gloom, Avulsed, Aborted, Phantomsmasher, Godflesh, that sort of thing. Good luck, and welcome to the fold!

Thanks, it's nice to know that I'm off to a good start. Before this the only bands that I would listen to that are in any way metal . . . seem to be on the very fringe of the genre at best or somehow loosely related. I've always loved King Crimson. Mr. Bungle, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Tool, The Melvins, and Doctor Nerve also come to mind as being bands that I have enjoyed before making a conscious decision of getting into metal.

One of my best friends took me up on this. He used to listen to a lot of metal in high school, and one day he was like "hey let's go get an Emperor CD." I enjoyed it, but I think it took seeing Cephalic Carnage live to really get me into the music. However, it does feel odd having a CD by Gorguts and owning nothing by Metallica or Black Sabbath. Somehow I always end up working my way up from the underground to the more popular stuff . . . if I find it tolerable that is . . . .

And thanks to all for the recommendations. I look forward to more.

More recommendations:

Since you like Sigh, other avant garde / post black metal bands:

Arcturus
Solefald
Ved Buens Ende
Fleurety
Ulver
Dodheimsgard (get 666 International, you'll love it)

Since you like the more hardcore based stuff like Isis and Mastodon:
Cave In (they went from spastic metalcore to space rock, get all their releases as they are all drastically different)
Converge
Botch (Get We Are the Romans NOW)
Radiation 4 (you'll particularly like this one, methinks, they are metalcore + Mr Bungle)

Cannibal Corpse
Zyklon
Arch Enemy
are some good death metal bands

Helloween
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
are good power metal bands

Kreator
Destruction
Testament
are good thrashmetal bands

Dimmu Borgir
Darkthrone
Cradle of Filth
Mayham
are good black metal bands

i like all metal except power metal pretty much so if you're looking for something in particular(as a genre, not something like "i want a band that sounds a lot like morbid angel or possessed" because then i don't know probably, i know very few good and real metal bands these days :-/

LuminousAether said:
More recommendations:

Since you like Sigh, other avant garde / post black metal bands:

Arcturus
Solefald
Ved Buens Ende
Fleurety
Ulver
Dodheimsgard (get 666 International, you'll love it)

Since you like the more hardcore based stuff like Isis and Mastodon:
Cave In (they went from spastic metalcore to space rock, get all their releases as they are all drastically different)
Converge
Botch (Get We Are the Romans NOW)
Radiation 4 (you'll particularly like this one, methinks, they are metalcore + Mr Bungle)
Great recommends right here. I'll also add, based upon your likes...

Maudlin of The Well
Farmakon
Macabre
Ephel Duath
Zero Hour
Control Denied
Lamb of God
Unearth
The Crown
Vehemence
Avulsed
Aborted

...a bit of everything right there.

He sure picked a few doozies to get into metal with...Mastodon, Gorguts, Napalm Death, I'm surprised he liked it.

Symphony X is like the greatest band in existance, but it's not hardcore, so I'm not sure if you would like it...

Check out The Berzkerker, their drummer is the fastest on earth...

anonymousnick2001 said:
He sure picked a few doozies to get into metal with...Mastodon, Gorguts, Napalm Death, I'm surprised he liked it.
How in the hell is Mastadon (great metal/hardcore crossover, not to mention Bran Dailor who is one of the best drummers in metal), Napalm Death (classic, major influence in originating grindcore), and Gorguts (particularly Obscura) "doozies"???? Please explain the logic...

Heh, when I first heard death metal when I was 15.... I shit my self from fear.

Yes, I've heard "Isis - Carry" and I was very impressed. Why did you not like Nile instantly like I did? They have that epic atmosphere in their songs.

All That Remains - They have that melodic death metal/metalcore sound like Shadows Fall and I love them.

Candiria - Very interesting experimental hardcore with some groove in their songs.

Crowbar - The Sludgecore band.

Dying Fetus - Death/grind band that totally destroyed me when I seen them live.

Entombed - They changed from old school death metal to death N roll and you must check out all their work.

God Forbid - They are the future of heavy metal.

Obituary - The best primal death metal band that ever existed. Yes, I am into their work even more than Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse.

Vehemence and Acid Bath.

if you really like Acid Bath check out Agents Of Oblivion and Deadboy and the Elephantmen. they're not metal but have the same frontman. i actually like both of them better than AB after listening to them a lot.

dill_the_devil said:
wow. Even greater bands. I'd also add:

CONVERGE, DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN, THE END, FANTOMAS, MR. BUNGLE, REFUSED, CURLUPANDDIE, TECHNO ANIMAL, GOD FORBID, CRYPTOPSY, DYING FETUS.

It seems you like quite a few extreme metal bands that sound different than the typical DM band. You might like these bands:

Immolation
Ion Dissonance
A Life Once Lost
Hate Eternal
Abaddon Incarnate
Athiest
Cryptopsy