New to mixing, please help! Metalcore, no vox

blakeherber

New Metal Member
Aug 13, 2011
I'm new to mixing, but I'm working on this short clip of a new song to try and improve. Almost nothing has been done to it, besides editing, so I just need to know where to go next! There is some EQ work on the drums, and the little bit that my ampsim gives, but that's it. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37215588/New Intro Mix 1.mp3

It sounds like the guitars have too much low mids in them, I could be wrong though. And the cymbals are a bit too loud. Other than that, it's a pretty decent mix. :) Bump for other comments

EDIT: Try making a shallow cut in the guitar eq around 300-600hz to get rid of the low mids. I'm not sitting here looking at my eq, but I think that's what I normally cut for the low mids.

Thank you sir, may your band get 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 etc likes and so on and so forth ;) I'll make the cut and drop the overheads a bit, thanks duder!

^I think that the guitars are too high (volume) in contrast with the kick and snare.

Also they are a bit too middy for my likings (and this kind of genre? I dunno). But that could just be me.

What did you use for guitars? What ampsim?

The standard generic one that comes with Cubase, it's nothing special, and it's hard to get anything slightly good out of it, I'm surprised I got what I did out of it. I have a couple friends who are willing to do a re-amp for me though, might take them up on that soon.