New To Opeth!Suggestions

shad0w__

Mar 17, 2003
London
Hi everyone! I just started listening to Opeth and generally death metal few days ago and i liked them very much. Can you suggest what albums i sshould buy from Opeth or what songs to hear. Thanx

No no no not Orchid, way too complex for a first Opeth experience. Get Still Life, as its pretty easy to get into but yet is one of the most brilliant works by Opeth. The Moor is an absolutly brilliant song off that album, but everything on its great...

check out Orchid, Morningrise, and so on. All of them are great albums.

as for Death Metal, listen to:

DEATH
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Gorguts
Pestilence
Malevolent Creation
Atheist
Cancer
Carcass (Necroticism,Heartwork)

soft opeth: TO BID YOU FAREWELL, HARVEST, ALL OF DAMNATION ALBUM, BENIGHTED.

I started out with Morningrise, at the time i had not listened to any metal. I was in to jazz, hip hop, and prog rock more or less. A friend burnt me a copy so i took it home put it in played the first song it sounded ok till i heard the cookie monster start growling, which turned me off. It wasn't till a year later i put the cd in to give it another listen. I scaned though all the songs till i got the track 5 (the last track) TO BID YOU FAREWELL. thats when i fell in love with opeths music. the growling grew on me, now i think its badass.

Blackwater park is the most accessible, but still life is a great place to start. If you get any of the first three albums then be prepared to give them a lot of time to grow on you. It took me three months to like MAYH and now it's be far my favorite.

alan3827 said:
check out Orchid, Morningrise, and so on. All of them are great albums.

as for Death Metal, listen to:

DEATH
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Gorguts
Pestilence
Malevolent Creation
Atheist
Cancer
Carcass (Necroticism,Heartwork)
what wrong with earlier carcass?
true its grind, but still...

Blackwater Park- the best of where Opeth has been and where they are going...I think it it the first and best example of the bands vision of what they want to be, but who knows?

I'd recommend Blackwater Park as your first Opeth album...Although I started with Morningrise.

Death metal:
Immolation
Death
Cryptopsy
Morbid Angel
Vital Remains
Decapitated
Bloodbath(Mikael from Opeth's sideproject, he does vox)
Zyklon(More Thrash/Black than Death but still awesome)
Kataklysm
Gorguts
Macabre

I give up...there's too many good death metal bands to name :D
Also once you're settled in with Opeth, I reckon you should try Maudlin of the Well, Ephel Duath, Cynic, Kayo Dot, Pan-thy-monium etc...

Thanx! I will buy Still Life and Blackwater Park in a few days. I also listened to some Death Carcass and old Inflames. I liked them all very much. But most of all i liked Eternal Tears Of Sorrow

start with Blackwater Park

DEATH: Morbid Angel - "Covenant", Immolation - "Unholy Cult", Bloodbath - "Ressurection Through Carnage", Entombed - "Clandestine"

Morbid Angel - Domination
Death - Symbolic
Zyklon - Aeon
Bloodbath - Ressurection Through Carnage
Vader - Litany
Immolation - Unholy Cult

For some predecessors, listen to the early Slayer albums... great work

DONT buy Blackwater Park... the easy way is not the easy way

Also, if your heading in the 'melodic death metal' direction with bands like Arch Enemy and In Flames, you've gotta pick up a copy of At the Gates 'Slaughter the Soul' album... every other band playing the same style just copied this album.