Opeth Air-Play

Prometheus

May 11, 2001
Cary, NC
Anyone else hearing Opeth on the radio these days...

I started listening to the local college station (WKNC) after my car CD player died and discovered they have been playing Opeth and Katatonia. The past two days I've heard Katatonia and Opeth each played twice....

Anyone else hearing any air-play for Opeth?

AAAHHHHHH!!!!! Not at the goddamn university of maryland! actually, i haven't listened to their station much because i don't live on campus (and it only comes in near campus). but the guy who does (did?) the metal show on it has only heard orchid and isn't much of an opeth fan. what a moron.

but that is very exciting! at one of the opeth shows that came through here a couple months ago, there was a group of total frat boys singing every word, and i was just stunned that THEY had heard opeth. i wonder if this is how...

Its very possible.
I make sure the get airplay. I'm the metal director, so I made sure that all the metal DJs new about BWP when it came out. Most of them had never heard of Opeth, but I told them to just play it once for me and if they didn't like it then fine they don't have to anymore but I'd really appreciate it if they did. They got enuff airplay to make it into my top 10 for a couple weeks, which is good cuz the top 10 is what gets reported to the College Music Journal and goes nationwide.

I've heard Dirge For November in a Finnish weekly metal special, but that shouldn't surprise you. ;)

I guess Harvest would have been ideal for airplay, had they released it as a single. I can imagine hearing that on any station for sure.

Comfortably Numb is questionable?? So its ok to play songs by bands like Buckcherry where the chorus consists of the line "I love the cocaine", but they call PF questionable..some ppl just make no sense!
You should go find that DJ and throw a brick at him! :D

Comfortably numb is such a good song as well!!! I'm a bit dubious of Opeth being on the radio. Over here I think metal is becoming fashionable at the mo, so I'm starting to fear the day when we have metal boy and girl bands. God that would be awfull.... and then when u say u listen to metal people would also be like "Woh its the latest fashion" etc.

Here in Australia Opeth gets nationwide airplay on a metal show on the station "Triple J". It's a late night show on once a week and the guy that hosts it is actually a really big Opeth fan! ... good to hear hey.

...the mighty '3 Hours of Power', not forgetting play on community radio stations in each State! Much appreciated!

The only time I have ever heard Opeth on the radio was once when part of the song Blackwater Park was used as bumper music beofre a commercial on the Tom Leykus Show (talk radio program). The part it played was the acoustic part at the beginning when Mikael does the growl, and it sounded so familiar and it was driving me nuts until I realized it was Opeth. I wish there was a metal program out here in California...and if there is, anyone know when and what station?

you guys get air-play of opeth? god, no one around here plays them. i wish they did. nevermore too. they need some radio coverage so i can enjoy them more. tennesse's radios suck. and while i'm on the subject of tenn, no one comes here! it sucks so bad. everyone always goes to atlanta or someplace just outside of tenn and since i'm 15, i can't drive there and no one else likes my music so i can't go with someone. my mom works so i can't bum a ride w/her cause i know she'd go if she could. stupid bands... or stupid concert dudes who set all the tour dates. you know, the managers or something like that. disturbed was gonna play here but there weren't enough tickets sold so they canceled like 2 days b4 their show was s'posed to be played. most of the people around here don't buy their tickets until the night of the show. i hate tenn... well, i love it unless it has to do w/bands comming here. i'm gonna stop ranting now and get some sleep or something...
~definition defier