New to Vintersorg, and just ordered 'Till Fjalls'

Mantraschism

Skáld
Oct 23, 2002
Augusta, GA (Lost in the Twilight Hall)
Hi, I first heard Vintersorg on Borknagar's 'Empiricism', and his voice killed me, and so I've really been wanting some of his solo stuff for a while now. I just ordered 'Till Fjalls' tonight, which is the main one I've wanted for a long time. Is this as masterful an album as I think it will be?

Mantraschism said:
Is this as masterful an album as I think it will be?
Yepp, but "Ödemarkens Son" kick ass even more!!!

Well, I'm a little bit sceptic if you got into Vintersorg through "Empiricism". Vintersorgs later work is more progressive, more technical, and more in the vein of Borknagars current music. His earlier work is more primal, probably more black and folk inspired, and also has more "bassier" vocals. Both new and old is great, but there is a huge difference between his early and new stuff.

panzer0x said:
Well, I'm a little bit sceptic if you got into Vintersorg through "Empiricism". Vintersorgs later work is more progressive, more technical, and more in the vein of Borknagars current music. His earlier work is more primal, probably more black and folk inspired, and also has more "bassier" vocals. Both new and old is great, but there is a huge difference between his early and new stuff.

I heard "Empiricism" before anything else by Mr. V, and I started off with "Till Fjälls" as well, I had no trouble getting into it...of course normally I'm open minded about music...unless it's pop or hardcore/metalcore.

But yes, his new and old stuff are very different indeed.

I just got 'Till Fjalls' today, and I think it's some of the best 40 minutes of music I've ever heard. I absolutely love this CD, I want to listen to it 4,000 times a day. The Swedish lyrics appeal to me very much, as well. Does anyone have English translations for these songs? And, is Cosmic Genesis a good next step?

Mantraschism said:
I just got 'Till Fjalls' today, and I think it's some of the best 40 minutes of music I've ever heard. I absolutely love this CD, I want to listen to it 4,000 times a day. The Swedish lyrics appeal to me very much, as well. Does anyone have English translations for these songs? And, is Cosmic Genesis a good next step?
I think it is... Cosmic Genesis is the best for me, but I think its sentimental, cause it was the first one I've heard.
I think it's a hard choice between the Ödemarkens son and the Cosmic Genesis, so answer this and you'll find your answer:

Do you want music more like the Till Fjälls with a lottt of folk influence(all in swedish, too) or do you want something talking about the Cosmos(with folk influece, as well, but not so much this time) in english(but with two amazing songs in swedish too)?

I think you'll choose the Ödemarkens son, but maybe I'm wrong, but who knows...

And about the english translations... Theres three of them(but only for the ödemarkens son) in the official Vintersorg site, but if you want some more(but they're incomplete) you can try this site:
http://www.trollskog.cjb.net

Is where I get my translations!

But anyway, good luck with your next ordering, and doesn't matter wich one you'll choose, you'll choose it right, cause the two albuns are just perfect!

Hail Vintersorg! :worship:

Mantraschism said:

yeah if you like till fjälls that much i reckon you should go for ödemarkens son which is more similar to TF than cosmic genesis, not saying that CG is a dull record mind you, just different from till fjälls

Alright, I ended up ordering 'Cosmic Genesis' (along with Sanctuary - 'Into the Mirror Black'!), simply because it ships sooner than 'Odemarkens Son'. This may not be a very good reason, but the sooner I can get more Vintersorg, the better. 'Odemarkens Son' will be next, I think, then 'Visions...', then perhaps the EP (I can't remember the name). I'm confident that with Vintersorg, you can't go wrong. Anyway, I like his English lyrics, too (at least the ones he wrote on 'Four Element Synchronicity' from Borknagar's 'Empiricism').

Cosmic Gensis is a genious album. A great choice! Listening to 'Algol' makes my hair stand everytime. And what is the best way but to end off with an amazing closer track in the album...

So "Cosmic Genesis" it is! Great Choice! Couldn't be better!
About the album after the "Ödemarkens son", In my opinion it's better to get the Hedniskhjärtad(a hard name, but...) first. I like it more than the "Visions..." which took me several months to like more than one song.

Look, in my opinion "Visions..." is a good album(for me, the "less-good" Vintersorg's album), but it took me so much time to like it cause it has a such dense complexity that it become very hard to "assimilate" all the informations...

So my tip is: Get the Hedniskhjärtad first, cause I think you'll like it better.
And by the time you get all those albuns "The Focusing Blur" will be out already, so there another one to make the choice even harder... :cool: