New trivium... Thoughts!

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
So yesterday I picked the album 'in waves' up... With no preconception, figured I'd buy first, curse later.

However... I'm really fucking enjoying this album. Its a step forward for the band whilst taking a step back to look at what they once did so right to garner such attention in the first place. There's a lot of ascendancy moments here, and the overall vibe is closer to a mash of shogun/ ascendancy but I can sense some of the mature parts from the crusade in there for good measure.

I for one have a rekindled interest in the band and am pretty glad for it. The riffs overall remind of the good parts of metalcore.. You know, the melodeath styled ones that were catchy and interesting, not the dissonant hardcore breakdown crap that found it's way in. So yeah, hopefully my appreciation keeps over time with this.

Great job on Colins part, for most part I like the production a lot, everything sits pretty well, the Only thing I'm not fond of is the toms, uber clicky and not really full bodied, but it works.

Kudos to both Trivibum and Colin :D

Have it for about a week now, bought the special edition and I also really enjoy it. For me there's not much "shogun" on there though, but quite a bit of ascendancy and ember to inferno moments.
That album is a lot more song-orientated, lots of catchyness, kinda like ascendancy but that one was more metal-corish.
It's a simpler album that works pretty pretty well, and I still enjoy it...I just hope that will last, because usual with that kind of albums I don't stick too long.

Production is ace!

The DVD is pretty interesting too, altho I didn't get the problem they had to get good guitar sounds in audiohammer studios