NEW UPLOAD: Akercocke, The Crown, Ulver and more

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Alright, due to a slight technical hitch (with Heather starting to fall asleep at her PC!), I've not got round to updating the Review Index completely, but all the new reviews are in the A-Z index for now...

13 New Reviews

GLASS CASKET - We are Gathered here Today
FALCONER - The Sceptre of Deception
DEFLESHED - Royal Straight Flesh
SULACO - Sulaco
UNDER THREAT - Mankind's Disguise
POVERTY'S NO CRIME - The Chemical Chaos
ATROX - Orgasm
BEHEMOTH - Conjuration
DIABOLIC - Infinity Through Purification
HORNED GOD - Chaos, Bringer of Revelations
THE CROWN - Possessed 13
ULVER - 1st Decade in the Machines
AKERCOCKE - Choronzon [Staff Pick of the Week]

Akercocke was a last minute submission, taking Staff Pick victory over Diabolic in the final upload.

New Interviews (all by Chief B)

KING DIAMOND - the one and only !!!!!!
STRATOVARIUS - Jens Johansson (also ex-keyboardist for Malmsteen)
FALCONER - Stefan Weinerhall (also ex-Mithotyn)

Go read, evaluate, absorb, come back, discuss.

:Spin:

Wow, with that little dance Akercocke and Vital Remains are doing in Josh's head, I might just have to check them out.

1st Decade in the Machines is the only "Ulver" release I don't have, and that review is just one more reason not to ever purchase it. :tickled:

Methinks it's time to dig up that Sulaco CD... npearce, this one may be calling your name.

EDIT: From the Behemoth review:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]followed by "Wish" - a cover of the NINE INCH NAIL's song of the same name. Not too keen on this one, I prefer the original.[/font]
I don't think I even want to hear that, given that Wish is a true metal classic. That whole album is really, but especially Wish.

The Crown and Defleshed albums are two of my favorites of the year. I thought PJ's review of it was good, but the score didn't seem to reflect the enthusiastic comments. As for NAD's review of Royal Straight Flesh... bah.

bloodfiredeath said:
As for NAD's review of Royal Straight Flesh... bah.
Dude, check out Konkhra then. Part of my disappointment with Defleshed can be attributed to listening to / reviewing this album a day or two prior, as it is MUCH better.

Konkhra's on Code666 right? I know some of you are all about the Willowtip this year, but I think Code666 deserves some serious consideration as the label of 2003. Their material is much more varied across the board and therefore "horizon-widening". Quite educational if you think about it.

Willowtip is uncompromising, that's why I like them.

But yeah, code666 is awesome. Aborym, Konkhra, Negura Bunget, Manes, etc. Lots of variety, and I always appreciate experimental stuff obviously. I've been meaning to listen to that Aborym more... what an interesting blend they have going on.

JayKeeley said:
Konkhra's on Code666 right? I know some of you are all about the Willowtip this year, but I think Code666 deserves some serious consideration as the label of 2003. Their material is much more varied across the board and therefore "horizon-widening". Quite educational if you think about it.

i don't think i could have put out any more varied releases as i did this year. every cd was a different genre within the metal realm (though some still tend to think its all grindcore).

The review of Atrox´"Orgasm" on R.C. is an obvious proof that you can´t rely on album reviews except for those you´ve written yourself!:D
Considering that Madder Mortem´s "Deadlands" already got a 1/10-rating, I wonder if perhaps I should look for all the really "baaad" reviews on Royal Carnage and give these albums a try? But then again John Arch´s "Twist Of Fate" got a 9/10-rating and I like it, too (though definitely not as much as "Deadlands" or "Orgasm" and not as much as Fates Warning´s "The Spectre Within" and "Awaken The Guardian") - so this "system" doesn´t seem to work either.:confused:

BTW, compared to its predecessor "Terrestrials", the vocals on "Orgasm" are quite moderate and the music is much more "easy-listening"!:D (So I guess "Terrestrials" probably would have got a -10/10-rating on Royal Carnage and the review itself would have been written backwards or upside down - or sounded as if had been written by Ozzy Osbourne!:D )

Burkhard said:
I wonder if perhaps I should look for all the really "baaad" reviews on Royal Carnage and give these albums a try?
Ehehe. If you decide to listen to "In Waste" by Carrier Flux and enjoy it, you must be insane or deaf or both. Otherwise, prepare to be mentally scarred for life by the most pretentious, untalented bullshit ever pressed onto plastic.

Burkhard said:
The review of Atrox´"Orgasm" on R.C. is an obvious proof that you can´t rely on album reviews except for those you´ve written yourself!:D
I actually thought the Atrox album was above average myself. :cool: I would have given it a 5.5/10 (or something like that).

Considering that Madder Mortem´s "Deadlands" already got a 1/10-rating, I wonder if perhaps I should look for all the really "baaad" reviews on Royal Carnage and give these albums a try?
Heh, well if it's of any consequence, that Madder Mortem CD went round most of the team members before I ended up having to review it. Nobody else even wanted to touch it, and think about this - we're all separate individuals, with differing tastes, living in all four corners of the globe, most of us have never even met one another, and the general consensus was that Madder Mortem was a dried up cow plop.

Coincidence? :heh:

JayKeeley said:
and the general consensus was that Madder Mortem was a dried up cow plop.
Even me, and I'm the "this CD sucks, maybe NAD will like it" guy. :lol:

To be fair I've only heard one song, but that was more than enough. I even tried it several times, but that voice... ugh.

BTW, when I was at the Naglfar/Necrophobic concert there was this local band before them called 6th Awakening who sounded not entirely unlike Madder Mortem down to the HEVVY DU-DU-DUM DU-DU-DU-DU-DUM DU-DU-CRUSH! riffs (sorry, obscure reference to Bruce Dickinson's "Broken") and wailing chix0r vocals. She also tried growling and she wasn't really very good at it. One could say. http://www.6thawakening.cjb.net/