NEW! Emperor, Ulver, Anathema, Queensryche & more!!

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Some mighty fine reviews here even if I say so myself...congrats to the team for pulling these ten together....

NEW RELEASES:

BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - The Blessed Hellride
CONSPIRACY - The Unknown
EXHUMED - Anatomy is Destiny [Staff Pick of the Week]
QUEENSRYCHE - Tribe
ULVER - A Quick Fix of Melancholy EP

CLASSIC RELEASES:

AMORPHIS - Elegy
ANATHEMA - The Silent Enigma
EMPEROR - In the Nightside Eclipse
EUCHARIST - A Velvet Creation
FATES WARNING - No Exit

:Spin: :Smokedev: :Spin:

JayKeeley said:
EXHUMED - Anatomy is Destiny [Staff Pick of the Week]

Glad to see this album get some praise. It should definitely be in my top 5 of the year when all is said and done.

However, I found the slagging of later era Carcass to be completely unnecessary in the review.

bloodfiredeath said:
However, I found the slagging of later era Carcass to be completely unnecessary in the review.

It was critical in my overall analysis. Which is that in comparing the worshipper to the worshipee, or offspring to father... the offspring has surpassed the father. Or in other words, Anatomy Is Destiny, is, IN MY OPINION, better than both Heartwork and Swansong.

Thanks man. THat Ulver review was the quickest turn around I've ever had, two days after it showed up in the mail I wrote the review. :)

Slagging Swansong I can understand (I still love it though), but Heartwork...? You have issues. :D Definitely need to pick up that Exhumed now, keep hearing good things about it.

Need Anathema more than ever, given my Antimatter love...

That Conspiracy CD was so terrible. Nobody buy it, even if you are a diehard Yes fan. Ugh.

Papa Josh said:
It was critical in my overall analysis. Which is that in comparing the worshipper to the worshipee, or offspring to father... the offspring has surpassed the father. Or in other words, Anatomy Is Destiny, is, IN MY OPINION, better than both Heartwork and Swansong.

I see where you're coming from, I just think the message could have been conveyed without saying Heartwork and Swansong suck (I paraphrase of course).

Demonspell said:
The Amorphis and Ulver reviews were very well written...
Thanks. I actually thought that all the reviews this week were pretty cool - probably something to do with the fact that you could tell we were enjoying what we were reviewing, except maybe the Conspiracy heh. EDIT: I mean that NAD didn't really enjoy the Conspiracy album, not that his review was poor by any means. :erk:

I don't know when exactly, but I decided a few days ago that I'm going to start reviewing albums that I really like and want to review (on top of new promos etc), hence Amorphis, Emperor, and Eucharist this week. I hope all the team do that too from time to time instead of just new promos....it's very refreshing, and that was 90% of the reason for setting up the site in the first place...

JayKeeley said:
I don't know when exactly, but I decided a few days ago that I'm going to start reviewing albums that I really like and want to review (on top of new promos etc), hence Amorphis, Emperor, and Eucharist this week. I hope all the team do that too from time to time instead of just new promos....it's very refreshing, and that was 90% of the reason for setting up the site in the first place...

I think that's great, and that was the reason I wanted to review in the first place, but now confusing as well since it was decreed that reviews would now be assigned because of all the promos that are received that can't all be reviewed by the same people at once.

Of course, what sucks about that is now I have to review metalcore type stuff (well, I suppose we all do, or not depending on how fast we respond on the first come first serve promos).

I guess if you're able to review alot of cd's (JayKeeley, Papa Josh, etc.), then it's easy to mix in both promos and cd's you like, but when you can only review 2, 1 or 0 cd's a week, it's pretty limiting. But understandable too, since the promos are top priority.

I'll probably have to just have to stick to promos (a fresh batch I just got in on Thursday) in order to try and keep pace (2 a week or 6 a month).

JayKeeley, shoot me an email when you get a chance.

Dark One said:
I think that's great, and that was the reason I wanted to review in the first place, but now confusing as well since it was decreed that reviews would now be assigned because of all the promos that are received that can't all be reviewed by the same people at once.

You can do classics from your own collection or the stuff that you get sent by Mark. Obviously if something is brand new then it has to be turned around sooner than something that's 10 years old or whatever....the reason why I got on to Amorphis, Eucharist etc is because I got my promos out the way the previous week (Soulless, Bullethole, Labyrinth etc) and made time for the fun stuff! That was the refreshing part, hehehe.

I would imagine that folks would spend less time reviewing stuff they don't like compared to the albums they drool over (I know I do), so it all kind of balances out. :)

I'm still waiting for my latest batch of promos, I currently have only 1 unreviewed but I know Mark is sending me a buttload...

I must admit that the one metalcore album I reviewed was kind of fun, just becuase I was able to make fun of it so bad. Opaque - Resolve, my lowest rating yet at 3/10. I had to make that damn Conspiracy album a 4/10 just because even it wasn't as bad as Opaque. :puke:

NAD said:
I'm still waiting for my latest batch of promos, I currently have only 1 unreviewed but I know Mark is sending me a buttload...
Has mail slowed down recently or something? I bought Neonism by Solefald on eBAY, and the guy shipped it on August 8th. It turned up to NY last Friday. That is amazingly slow. Maybe its a California thing.

Anyway, I have a promo by a band called Single Bullet Theory. It has elements of thrashcore meets Tool - I can review it, but NAD, you might wanna give it a go because I have a feeling you might like it man.

JayKeeley said:
Anyway, I have a promo by a band called Single Bullet Theory. It has elements of thrashcore meets Tool - I can review it, but NAD, you might wanna give it a go because I have a feeling you might like it man.
I remember hearing about this band quite a while ago and thinking "what a great band name." 'Cause it is.

NAD said:

I must admit that the one metalcore album I reviewed was kind of fun, just becuase I was able to make fun of it so bad. Opaque - Resolve, my lowest rating yet at 3/10. I had to make that damn Conspiracy album a 4/10 just because even it wasn't as bad as Opaque. :puke:
Höh höh... You don't want to hear the Carrier Flux album I gave 1/10. Honestly, it was painful to have to sit through the thing several times before reviewing it. Eww. Does anyone want it? Pay me postage... :p

I am definitely looking forward to my first 1/10 album, saving that up for something real special. :D

Single Bullet Theory is indeed a great name. I'll be glad to review it, but I don't take too kindly to Tool ripoffs if that's the case.

Mail has been slow as hell lately, who knows why. Got a letter from my damn IRA company that said "you owe us more money by the 21st" and I received it on the 23rd. :erk:

phyre said:
Höh höh... You don't want to hear the Carrier Flux album I gave 1/10. Honestly, it was painful to have to sit through the thing several times before reviewing it. Eww. Does anyone want it? Pay me postage... :p

Ha! That could be the lowest score yet...nice one! I think right now, Skylark is leading the charge with 2/10. That bit about Harry Potter always makes me laugh.

"Single Bullet Theory" is a cool band name, but the question is, are they a cool band? You'll have to wait on the edge of your seat in anticipation for the review, muwahahaha.

NAD said:
Single Bullet Theory is indeed a great name. I'll be glad to review it, but I don't take too kindly to Tool ripoffs if that's the case.

Def not a Tool rip off. Is there such a thing? Anyway, when the guy sings clean, there is definitely a maynard keenan thing going on (slightly...maybe...I could be on drugs..). I'll have to revisit and let you know.

Send me the CD and said drugs, ah screw it, just the drugs. :loco:

I've heard Tool ripoffs before, they are pathetic.

There are those of us who love pre-Heartwork Carcass as well ya know... :)

Although Necroticism is my least favorite Carcass album, I generally go for Symphonies of Sickness when I want to hear gore-era Carcass. :kickass:

Though Exhumed is great, and Anatomy is Destiny is probably their best album, there are other bands out there that do a great job of representing old school Carcass. Three of the best right off the top of my head:
Aborted - Goremageddon: The Saw and The Carnage Done
Impaled - Mondo Medicale
The County Medical Examiners - Forensic Fugues & Medicolegal Medleys