New Vanden Plas video....

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
There was already a thread here with this on it, but it was down the line. I was afraid someone here might have missed the official video of the song thinking the thread was just about the trailer. I couldn't possibly let that happen to my favorite band in the world. ^__^

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanden Plas never ceases to amaze me. This song is a little rehashed, but still incredible. There is such a majestic quality in their work. They just don't have a rival in the prog-metal sub-genre in my ear. Beauty, power, majesty........ Vanden Plas.

The following sentence will anger and frustrate Bryant^^^

I can't stand Vanden Plas while Kuntz is singing. :yow:

This would have been a quote of mine in any of the last 15 years when asked about the band...that is until last week. For whatever reason the new video completely sold me and I did some digging back into their previous works and I'm really disappointed in myself for not realizing their greatness.

I always joked to Larry that I thought Andy sounded like a whinier Labrie, or sometimes a muppet on helium. I take that all back. This is some fine stuff, and I'll have some fun going back and buying all that I missed the last decade plus.

So yeah, I'm officially converted and a new fan. Not sure in what order to pick up their albums, but I suppose it really doesn't matter too much. I'll start with the most recent and work backwards.

Not completely out of line. Your view was also my first impression. But, as I got used to him, he grew on me.

So yeah, I'm officially converted and a new fan. Not sure in what order to pick up their albums, but I suppose it really doesn't matter too much. I'll start with the most recent and work backwards.

Personally, I recommend The God Thing and Christ 0.

This would have been a quote of mine in any of the last 15 years when asked about the band...that is until last week. For whatever reason the new video completely sold me and I did some digging back into their previous works and I'm really disappointed in myself for not realizing their greatness.

I always joked to Larry that I thought Andy sounded like a whinier Labrie, or sometimes a muppet on helium. I take that all back. This is some fine stuff, and I'll have some fun going back and buying all that I missed the last decade plus.

Well, I suppose I am super VP fanboy....... but.........I was fortunate to discover Vanden Plas with "The God Thing" release. My first impression was that the songs were fantastic and this was pretty much my personal follow up to "Images and Words" not that "Awake" thing, but....... the singer had quite a bit of a nasal character to his voice. The craft of the songs overpowered the annoyance of Andy's voice, so I stuck with them. It didn't take long before I not only got used to his voice, but really learned to appreciate it. Now he is probably my favorite vocalist out there.
Of course, the same thing happened to me with Accept's Metal Heart (yes I am old) so that is one of the reasons I stuck it out with Vanden Plas through some initial disdain from the vocal style. I mean Udo sounded like Gonzo from the muppet show getting murdered (funny how we both had muppet comparisons) when I first heard him. He had GOD playing guitar in the band though, so I couldn't stop listening. However, I realized later just how incredible and unique Udo is as a singer, and how incredibly difficult it is to sing like that.

Bryant, What do you think of the "The Seraphic Clockwork" album?

I love it. However, it is an uncharacteristic release for them by my standards. From "The God Thing" up through "Christ 0" I like each VP disc a little more than the previous, until "The Seraphic Clockwork." I like "Christ 0" slightly more. It is still fantastic though. Andy does a fantastic job with "On My Way to Jerusalem." When he sings the mellow stuff, he is at his best, and traditional prog-metal fans should dig the long song. It also gives you some counterpoint choir vocals in it as well, which is a plus.
"The Final Murder" is also a great song. It starts with beautiful acoustic guitar, then ramps up to a nice mid-tempo sing. Then about the 3:19 mark Stephan rips your head off with his traditional metal infused chord progression followed by the climax of the song with Andy's great high range. Just as the song seems to wind down, there is a nice reprise, done in a way only Vanden Plas can produce.
I'll stop there..... it's all great stuff. I find Vanden Plas to be a very consistent band.

You are very welcome. I hope they can gain some new fans of those who may not be aware of them.

Because of your post, I'm now a fan. I picked up "The Seraphic Clockwork" and I really love that one, and so now I'm looking for more. :) I'm thinking "Beyond Daylight" might be a good one. Emusic has these to choose from:

Far Off Grace
The God Thing
Colour Temple
Beyond Daylight
Spirit of Live
Chronicles of the Immortals: Netherworld (Path 1)
The Seraphic Clockwork

I hate to say this, but honestly you can't go wrong with any of them. Even the live disc is really good...... and I normally am not huge fans of live audio only discs. They do a mean cover of "Kiss of Death" with Don Dokken making a guest appearance. I have seen that actual CD for around five bucks.
If it were me, I would either start with the latest and work my way backwards (Chronicles I) or start with "The God Thing" and work my way forward. I would not leave "Christ 0" out of the mix though. It is one of their most talked about releases. "Silently" from the "Christ 0" release is probably my favorite song of all time if I were forced to choose one.
Colour Temple is more of a release for the die hards. It is far from a poor release, but I would get that one last. Vanden Plas really ramped up their style starting with "The God Thing." It was their true "coming out" release.
One thing I find special about Vanden Plas is that they have been together for pushing thirty years with the same lineup. They write great songs, have excellent musicians, great singer and in your face traditional style metal guitar riffs, while still being progressive and modern. I think the fact they are able to offer those qualities make them unique in the metal world.

Beauty, power, majesty, Vanden Plas.

Because of your post, I'm now a fan. I picked up "The Seraphic Clockwork" and I really love that one, and so now I'm looking for more. :) I'm thinking "Beyond Daylight" might be a good one. Emusic has these to choose from:

Far Off Grace
The God Thing
Colour Temple
Beyond Daylight
Spirit of Live
Chronicles of the Immortals: Netherworld (Path 1)
The Seraphic Clockwork

Everything that Vanden Plas has done has been excellent. The new video sounds great. They are perhaps the most consistent high quality producers of prog metal since Jesus was a little boy.:worship:

In 30 plus years of rock and metal, I have never done such an about face about a band like this. Before I really didn't care for any of their work. Now, after an entire evening of youtube playlists, I didn't hear a single song I DIDNT like. Even Spirit of Live sounded amazing and I'm not at all a fan of live shows on disc. So yeah, I've for some serious catching up to do...