New Vanden Plas video....

The new disc is simply amazing. It lodged itself immediately in my Top Ten.

P.S. What is that HUGE kick drum the drummer is using? Ye Gods! It's the size of a Venetian mortar! (That's what she said...sorry...couldn't resist.)

They pretty regularly get lodged within my top one since "The God Thing." The lone exception was 2010. They were relegated to a lowly number two due to the Accept release "Blood of the Nations" and there is little shame in that. Accpet had 15 years to write that one.
As far as the drummer.... Andreas is simply one of the best out there. He is one of those guys that are critically underrated. Heck they all are.... and I say that as objectively as I possibly can. I have NEVER heard a keyboardist that can give more textures and colors than Gunter. Stephan puts the metal in Vanden Plas with his crunchy riffs and singing solos. Torsten is not featured as much as he could be, but "Nightwalker" wouldn't be even close to what it is without his work on the bass and Andy really is off the charts as a singer. Vanden Plas is tough to beat as individuals, but their sum is even greater.

In 30 plus years of rock and metal, I have never done such an about face about a band like this. Before I really didn't care for any of their work. Now, after an entire evening of youtube playlists, I didn't hear a single song I DIDNT like. Even Spirit of Live sounded amazing and I'm not at all a fan of live shows on disc. So yeah, I've for some serious catching up to do...

Spirit of Live is honestly a must have !! I am an old guy and love Dokken, but man.... Andy made Don sound pretty mediocre on Don's own stuff. Since you like all their stuff, I suggest just starting with "The God Thing" and going forward. I think it will be more interesting to see how they have progressed and matured. Don't take that the wrong way...... you buy what you want to buy. I am just a fan, and it isn't my business to tell you what to do with your money, but that would be what I would suggest.

Last I checked Chronicles Of The Immortals – Netherworld II is scheduled for November 6th release. Did the date get moved up?

I don't have it. Maybe it leaked or something, but I am holding up for it, even as bad as I want to hear it.

Vanden Plas never ceases to amaze me. This song is a little rehashed, but still incredible. There is such a majestic quality in their work. They just don't have a rival in the prog-metal sub-genre in my ear. Beauty, power, majesty........ Vanden Plas.

Oooh I don't know about that, sir. Threshold might have something to say about that! They're the kings in my book.

Oooh I don't know about that, sir. Threshold might have something to say about that! They're the kings in my book.

It is a very tight squeeze between Vanden Plas and Threshold for me. Neither band has a single bad album but I do find Extinct Instinct to be one of Threshold's weakest. Both bands are significantly different in many aspects and still come out about equally amazing.

As far as which band I would prefer to see live...I still can't choose.

It is a very tight squeeze between Vanden Plas and Threshold for me. Neither band has a single bad album but I do find Extinct Instinct to be one of Threshold's weakest. Both bands are significantly different in many aspects and still come out about equally amazing.

As far as which band I would prefer to see live...I still can't choose.

heh, Extinct Instinct is not only my favorite Threshold album, but one of my all time favorites!

Really hoping for them or Vanden Plas being announced tomorrow.

Awesome as usual. Vanden Plas doesn't disappoint me. I am not sub-genre specific, but Vanden Plas is just far and away the best prog-metal band in my ears. They manage to keep that heavy crunchy guitar sound yet still have the beautiful melody. All elite bands certainly have their own personality and style, but Vanden Plas seems to hit all the right notes for me.