New Voltron series

I knew about this, but I'm not sure what to think yet. I actually just rewatched a bunch of the originals too. Also, there was already a "newer" version of Voltron (Force) released and it's fucking awful. This however looks to be a lot better than it at least.

So have you actually watched this yet? I had it added to my Netflix list, but never had any notification that it had been released two days ago. Just finished watching the first two episodes, and I don't know what to think yet. It actually has a lot of good things going for it, but man...the animation is both great and complete ass at the same time. It's done by the Avatar: The Last Airbender studio (US studio that tried hard to emulate anime, but focused too much on the worst aspects of it) and has that same ultra cheap anime look when it comes to faces, as well as the over-exaggerated animation shortcuts, which leads to a bunch of jerky motions.

It's true, I noticed the same thing. I really, really like what they've done with the series, however, how they're explaining everything and taking it very slow. The think the studio is Korean, so I expected the animation to be what it is. I like the humor they've added to it as well as making it more sci-fi than the old Voltron. I personally can't stand Japanese animation, it's just that I love Voltron. I don't like how incredibly exaggerated anime is, with the exception of a few gems like the Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Captain Harlock films. The same goes with Japanese RPGs...it's just so eastern in its mindset that I can't get into it.

All that said, I like the new Voltron, the lions, the stories, and actually I like the animation even though it does have the silly anime characteristics to it. The thing I like most about it is the different characteristics they've given to each lion, and each pilot must be a perfect match with his lion's personality and character. It really puts Voltron in an entirely new point of view instead of just having him composed of five lions which are all the same. I like that Keith is the red lion and the black lion is the new guy, and I think Lance is perfect for the blue lion. I like that each lion brings something different to the table; it feels like an RPG where you would pick your group based on their skill sets.

Last edited: