Newer "old school" bands?

Pelata

FINAL SIGN
Mar 6, 2006
North Carolina
www.facebook.com
What is the general consensus around here about newer "old school" styled bands? Bands like:

Bible Of The Devil
Colossus
Priestess
Slough Feg
Widow
Grand Magus

Personally, I think it's cool the way bands like this are reviving/maintaining the old school traditions...

There is fine bunch of "newschool" bands that is very good. Glad you mentioned Grand Magus, their new album kicks ass !! (and I'm going to see them live next month, yehaaaa !!). Also saw Priestess live a few months ago and they were great. Slough Feg is kinda special, some people love them to the bone, I don't care for them that much.
I'm sure there are tons of these bands around to be mentioned here, let's start with;

Wolf
Overlorde
Icarus Witch
Wind Wraith
RAM
Gama Bomb
Enforcer
White Wizard

This is basically the kind of music I've been trying to make for the past 8 years or so. But my stance is that some of these newer bands are going for too much of a convoluted sound instead of putting their own personal poetry into it. Some might argue that Metal doesn't need so much contemplation, but that's just me. :p

www.myspace.com/borrowedtimemetal

We have a cassette demo coming out soon, we're opening for Raven in September but with a new lineup.

EDIT: i think Slough Feg is great, a total original. I interviewed their frontman for the first issue of our magazine, the guy is a completely larger than life character, an angry rock and roll derelict. I like the more off the wall "new traditional" metal bands like Helvetets Port, Portrait, Harbinger and Blackholicus (check these out if you guys haven't heard, this is the real new shit!)

you are lucky, there is apparently no US release planned for Grand Magus.

I noticed and it pisses me off. I really like the new one. Amazon has a version with a DVD that may worth the > $25 price but not for me. I'll keep on waiting.

Once again I'll pimp: Wolf, Enforcer, Black Tide, White Wizzard, Sister Sin and on another level Spirits Of The Dead.

Some of the newer old school sounding bands I'm into right now are Holy Grail, Cauldron, Enforcer, Icarus Witch and White Wizzard.

Dream Evil is not so new, and yes Final Stage rules (I forgot, my deepest apologies). Icarus Witch is so-so but it qualifies in this list.

Bone Shaker and Superchrist to the list indeed.

White Wizard is meant to play live. I saw them open for Tyr / Korpiklanni not too long ago. Wow they smoked live!

Even though they are in hiatus, and Urban doesn't sing for them anymore..... I think the Urban Breed era Tad Morose was probably the best dark powermetal band to come along since the "oldschool" days. Brainstorm is also pretty good.
I haven't heard any of the bands you speak of except Grand Magus. Maybe I should check them out. I am not big on the singer. Solid stuff though.

Bryant

opening for Raven in September but with a new lineup.

EDIT: I like the more off the wall "new traditional" metal bands like Helvetets Port, Portrait, Harbinger and Blackholicus (check these out if you guys haven't heard, this is the real new shit!)

I like Portrait but I find Helvetet's Port seem to struggle musically. They just never really deliver. The style is there but not the music. Enforcer are much better in my opinion.

STEEL HORSE - Wild Power

Their debut is simply amazing. Finally a spanish band that compete in english with any international act. Check it ´cause they worth.

By the way, I love SLOGHT FEG to the bone :headbang: . No matter if their first "incarnation" with that Iron Maiden style or their newest 70´s sound. They´re great. One of the most special bands I´ve ever listened.