News about the CD

1) V - HANDS DOWN
2) The Odyssey/Divine - I can't decide right now
4) PL
5) Twilight
6) Damnation
7) S/T

I'm hoping this new album at LEAST tops PL.

^ You mustn't be listening properly. You should fix that.

1) V - HANDS DOWN
2) The Odyssey/Divine - I can't decide right now
4) PL
5) Twilight
6) Damnation
7) S/T

I'm hoping this new album at LEAST tops PL.

^ You mustn't be listening properly. You should fix that.

Damnation and DWOT kicks the crap out of V.

V just seems like filler, anyway:

the band has been doing things in-house for a few albums now, so the recording is done in MJR's studio

lol, I forgot the dungeon

I would say that overall, V is my favorite, espessially since it has my favorite song (Rediscovery) on it, but I think all of their albums are pretty close in quality and they really have never written a bad album. The 1st album would actually be great if Russ was on it so I am a little forgiving to that one, even if it is still the worst one.

1) Divine Wings of Tragedy/The Odyssey
2) Paradise Lost
3)Twilight in Olympus
4)V
5)Damnation game
6) S/T

It really is all based on preference. Choosing these rankings for Symphony X albums is difficult for me. Why? Because they are all awesome in a unique way. They all offer something new and refreshing but still sound distinctively symphony x. That being said, they all come in a close first place in my eyes. Minus S/T obviously.

V is a grower, when I first got it. I already had listened to DWOT and The Odyssey. And it just did not do it for me. Being new to metal/progressive metal when I was first introduced to symphony x many moons ago, I was instantly blown off my feet by Russell Allen's vocals. As gay as it may sound, Russell blew me away from day one, a powerhouse of a man, both mentally, physically. Everything about him screams "Domination"! I still remember the first time I heard them do to some MSN Audio clips from Gentlemen.

V has grown on me overtime, musically its a masterpiece. And songs like Rediscovery are some of my all time favorites! However, I think V is one of Allen's weakest albums. Actually I wont go that for, but its just his vocals are turned way to low and it sounds like he is talking his way through songs. For a powerhouse of a man, who can display so much emotion....it was a shame really.

After waiting for 5 years for Paradise Lost, as a hardcore symphony x fan. We need a little more to get really excited about. As excited as I am, its really just the same update he did a couple months back. The only thing he added was "its pretty much done" & "a little bit of everything" The march recording dates where already speculated in his past update.

So I'm excited yes, but I think alot of us will wait for some album artwork, title of the album, theme, or something to get our fanyboyisms (or girlisms) out!

^glad that someone else has the same view of V:s vocals. He definitely didn't get his best out for the most part in V imo.

^glad that someone else has the same view of V:s vocals. He definitely didn't get his best out for the most part in V imo.

Listen to 0:28-0:38 of Fool's Paradise. The first comment someone made upon hearing that song (and Symphony X) for the first time was "wow, big voice."

Hi. This is my first post in this forum.
I'd like to state than in my opinion Paradise Lost is not only my SymphonyX 's favorite lp... It is one of my favorite lps ever!
I realy wish that the new one is as good as half of Paradise Lost!!

Hi. This is my first post in this forum.
I'd like to state than in my opinion Paradise Lost is not only my SymphonyX 's favorite lp... It is one of my favorite lps ever!
I realy wish that the new one is as good as half of Paradise Lost!!

really??

Welcome to the forum, achmar. :)

Kind of surprised that some folks don't think highly of the vocals on V, I don't think I've ever heard that complaint in all the years it's been out. Personally, I think Russ' range in 'Egypt' alone is awesome, but that's just me. *shrug*

Let me ask this : Of those that like V the most or stands out the most, is that the recording you heard first ?

I ask because I know it makes a difference with me and Divine Wings was my first, so it always sounds "just right".

Hmm, I have to agree that V's vocals are good, definitely on par with the other albums, except maybe DWoT, because the title track and Candlelight Fantasia are pretty damn exceptional.

Let me ask this : Of those that like V the most or stands out the most, is that the recording you heard first ?

I ask because I know it makes a difference with me and Divine Wings was my first, so it always sounds "just right".

I get what you're saying. V is not my favorite SX album, but I do think it is their most complete.

The first SX I ever heard was select tracks from The Odyssey, and to this day I still feel that "Awakenings," "Accolade II," and "The Odyssey" sound more perfect than any other SX songs.

I wish I didnt get two threads derailed on this subject... I dont know where to post :rolleyes: so I'll head to the other where it more belongs

Russ' vocals on "Egypt" are indeed phenomenal but they are even more spectacular on "Rediscovery". The thing that V really has going for it is that it has the best mixture and equilibrium between the keyboards and the guitar. I mean you can actually hear Pinnella! Wow! Amazing!

But V is still not as musically superior as Damnation Game, DWOT, Twilight, or The Odyssey. I still really like it and it has grown on me over the years but musically it is a bit thin. Although I will say that if they made the new album more like V and less like PL, I would set up a tent in front of a record store right now!

At this point though I would be very happy with more Pinnella and Lepond songwriting credits, better album production than PL, and Russ' vocals not so growly and sounding forced.

I know that Romeo & Co. can do it.:headbang: