Next years line-up

I honestly think anyone who walks out of Katatonia without giving them a shot is going to be reading about one of the most amazing sets ever put on at progpower, and certainly the show stopping set of the weekend.

I'm really surprised by all the Meh comments about Katatonia. I am so stoked about this performance. I really think people should give The Great Cold Distance and Night Is The New Day a good listen before dismissing them completely. There's a lot to like on both those discs and they've got so many great songs to choose from (in my biased opinion)

The surprise one for me is Haken...I'll admit I was a bit disappointed by that choice but have been pleasantly surprised by Visions.

I have to say that Metal Church announcement completely caught me by surprise. I'm a HUGE fan and cannot wait to see this set.

I'm still on the fence about Mike Portnoys Shattered Fortress being a headliner but who am I to judge. Glenn hasn't steered us wrong yet.

I'm probably in the minority about Pain, I really think their going to blow the fucking roof off this place. Maybe not a great comparison but think Rob Zombie on steroids. To pigeonhole them as "industrial" isn't fair. Industrial Metal maybe. I'm excited about this set and my personal opinion but I think this is going to be one of the most talked about sets when all is said and done next year.

Im pretty familiar with the rest of the bands and I think this is a lot stronger line up that people give Glenn credit for. I've seen Power Quest, Amaranthe, Angel Dust & Orphaned Land and all put on a great show.

Last edited:
I don't see this as a weak lineup at all, and I think I compared Pain to a hopped up Monster Magnet. I'm going to probably enjoy their set. As is the case every year, there are bands I'm 100% not interested in, and bands that I will be prancing around giddy about for days. Still, I think this is just as solid, if not better than, this year.

Reactions: Kez and zinescene
Glen
I agree. I'm hoping the festival does the same for them as it did for Haken, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, etc. All of those bands took off after appearing in Atlanta.

Glen,, has Threshold been approached again after their appearance more than 10 years ago?

Reactions: Kez
Based on what I've heard and what I know, this looks to be another very good lineup:

Metal Church: Along with Accept/UDO, they were on my wish-list, and it's great to see them headlining with Mike Howe back in the fold, especially since they did not hit Atlanta when they were in the states this fall.

Mike Portnoy's Shattered Glass: I'm a huge DT fan, and so this announcement had me in rapture, even without the inclusion of the AA Suite. It will be interesting to see what songs he pulls out for an encore. I'm also interested to see whom he brings in, particularly the keyboardist. I'm hoping for Kevin Moore, but as others have said Derek is a more likely prospect. It's also going to be interesting to see whom he brings in as the singer as James LaBrie's voice is so unique and well-suited to their music.

Angel Dust: I dug this band in the early 2000's and wished I can see them live (I was not in the Atlanta area when they played PPUSA before), so it will be great to catch them. In fact, this band was one that elicited screams of delight when their name came up in the PPUSA video last month.

Dynazty: I was impressed by their last album when I did some research for last year's PPUSA (to which I did not go due to waiting too long to get tickets). It's great to see that Glenn didn't forget them, and that they're able to come back.

Anamarathe: I just picked up Nexus, and I'm impressed, and thus I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do live.

Myrath: I picked up a couple of their albums at the vendor room and they sound pretty decent upon first listen. It will take a few more to see if I can really get into them.

Haken: I got Affinity immediately after their set last month, and I was just as impressed as when I saw them live. I'll definitely get Visions when I get a chance.

That's it for the bands I know. It looks like I'll have to check out Amazon for some of the bands that I don't. But that's half the fun of looking forward to PPUSA for a year.

Last edited:
Based on what I've heard and what I know, this looks to be another very good lineup:

Metal Church: Along with Accept/UDO, they were on my wish-list, and it's great to see them headlining with Mike Howe back in the fold, especially since they did not hit Atlanta when they were in the states this fall.

Mike Portnoy's Shattered Glass: I'm a huge DT fan, and so this announcement had me in rapture, even without the inclusion of the AA Suite. It will be interesting to see what songs he pulls out for an encore. I'm also interested to see whom he brings in, particularly the keyboardist. I'm hoping for Kevin Moore, but as others have said Derek is a more likely prospect. It's also going to be interesting to see whom he brings in as the singer as James LaBrie's voice is so unique and well-suited to their music.

Angel Dust: I dug this band in the early 2000's and wished I can see them live (I was not in the Atlanta area when they played PPUSA before), so it will be great to catch them. In fact, this band was one that elicited screams of delight when their name came up in the PPUSA video last month.

Dynazty: I was impressed by their last album when I did some research for last year's PPUSA (to which I did not go due to waiting too long to get tickets). It's great to see that Glenn didn't forget them, and that they're able to come back.

Anamarathe: I just picked up Nexus, and I'm impressed, and thus I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do live.

Myrath: I picked up a couple of their albums at the vendor room and they sound pretty decent upon first listen. It will take a few more to see if I can really get into them.

Haken: I got Affinity immediately after their set last month, and I was just as impressed as when I saw them live. I'll definitely get Visions when I get a chance.

That's it for the bands I know. It looks like I'll have to check out Amazon for some of the bands that I don't. But that's half the fun of looking forward to PPUSA for a year.

Get Teramaze please. Based on the above, I don't think you'll regret it.

You're welcome.

;)

The bands I'm really looking forward to in 2017:

Serenity (LOVED them before)
Orphaned Land (LOVED them before)
Haken (Quirky but enjoyable)
Metal Church (first time seeing them!)
Distorted Harmony (whoa!)
Lords of Black (They sound a hell of a lot like Helker - which is a good thing!)
Angel Dust (thought they were done!)
Myrath (very proud co-sponsor!!)
Mike Portnoy (how great is that?)
Teramaze (they've been on my Radar for a while)
Pain (Total surprise and shock how much I learned to like them!)

Bands I'm on the fence:

Power Quest (need to research)
Twilight Force (need to research)
Dynazty (Didn't wow me before, will try again)
Snowy Shaw (Loved him in Therion and Sabaton, hope he does well solo)
Katatonia (Listened to their latest... still not sure just yet)

Bands I may skip to go eat dinner:

Amaranthe (Just not my cuppa)

So overall I'm really, REALLY looking forward to next year! :headbang: :kickass:

The bands I'm really looking forward to in 2017:

Katatonia (Listened to their latest... still not sure just yet)

So overall I'm really, REALLY looking forward to next year! :headbang: :kickass:

I've said this to other people, the new album in my humble opinion isn't as strong as previous works. Start here. Love how the Promise of Deciept builds and builds.

Katatonia in particular is not for me, but given how well bands that are similar-ish have gone over in the past I think that they'll A) win some new fans and B) rock the place.