NFL 2016

Falcons improve their o-line and get a pass rusher. Possible wild card contender, but Carolina's got the division for the foreseeable future.

Saints will continue to be a putrid team that only gets by due to Brees. Would be nice to see them field an actually competent defense sometime soon.

Splashy FA signings are becoming less common, draft picks often do not make major impacts in their first year. Looking at the roster holes and coaching questions across the NFC at least, I think Super Bowl predictions for 2016 are an utter crap shoot until the season gets underway. At this point I'm becoming more interested in what the league is going to do about the declining quality of play and reffing than what any particular team is going to do within the poor environment the recent league decisions have created.

Hopefully the Packers can avoid a plague of injuries and have healthy receivers and offensive line. Bold prediction: Packers vs Denver in the super bowl for a classic rematch.

Probably a first in the salary cap era:

Over the last three years, the Cowboys have cleaned up their salary cap, living with high amounts of dead money in 2014 ($28 million, according to ESPN Stats & Information) and 2015 ($19 million, according to ESPN Stats & Information).

As of today, the Cowboys have just $901,105 in dead money against the 2016 salary cap

Isn't Jerry Jones supposed to be a businessman? How the fuck does he suck so bad with finances?

The salary cap has no relation to how you run a business. There's no hard cap on loans/revenues. If you look at the story of how Jerry got his initial riches and then later bought the Cowboys, it certainly wasn't through significant prudence. The same could be said about building Jerry World. The dude lives by "go big or go home" in his business dealings, but that doesn't work within the salary cap era of NFL roster management. He is also very sentimental and pro player, but unfortunately you can't be that way with a cap. They finally figured that out at Valley Ranch (or, soon to be at "The Star in Frisco").

People like to vilify JJ but he really only deserves it for his poor GMing; I think the guy really is a "good guy".

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/01/20/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-this-season/

Dallas takes the top spot again. I'm really hoping the red shirt 3rd rounder from last year (Chaz Green) supplants Free @RT this offseason. This would give the line complete youth, yet have no true rookies, and be comprised of effectively 4 first rounders and 1 3rd rounder. Probably need some extra depth here but most of the line is elite.

Other than backup QB and maybe WR/RB depth, I don't think Dallas needs to spend any picks on this side of the ball. The D was actually pretty good - just not quite good enough to be the strength of the team - and much of that was poor secondary play (especially from the safeties), and less than stellar inside push on the defensive front. I haven't thoroughly looked at the FA situation within the team, so I'm not sure who will be staying/going, or if there will be available help/upgrades in these problem areas.

Lawrence came on strong in the second half of the season along the Dline, and Gregory and Chiefs practice squad pickup David Irving both flashed. Crawford played well for having a shoulder injury almost the entire season. The line lacks depth though (which Marinelli's scheme depends on), as well as a stout 1tech to take on double teams and anchor the center. LBs also lack depth, and Rolando may be gone if he doesn't cooperate this offseason.

Dallas has the draft position, a plethora of picks, and the cap space to really get things done during the offseason. The last few years have been handled pretty well in terms of player acquisition and cap maintenance. I'm as rationally optimistic as ever - barring a Romo injury again.