NFL ... your picks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I got digital cable a few weeks ago and the accordingly few hundreds of extra TV channels, I now have some US sport channels too. Just can't figure out wich football club to be a fan off... Sure you guys can help me out :)

Actually.... I will go ahead and make one pick now. Your Pats are going down this week T-Man !! The '72 Dolphins need to go ahead and figure out where to buy the ice for the champagne. The AFC bottom dwellers gave The Patriots a good scare. Now it is time to meet the mighty Steelers. They only lose to crappy teams this year >:p~
Although I was ribbing you.... I will give my honest opinion of this game. The Pittsburgh defense is playing well right now. The Bengals had many dropped passes as well as some poor throws by Carson, but I don't think a few more completions would have mattered much. Less the first drive of the game, The Steelers dominated the Bungles. Now that the weather is getting cold, neither Brady nor Roethlisberger will be quite as good as earlier in the year. I think both will be successful, but The Steelers have been absolutely masterful at shutting down the ground gasme lately, while the Pats had Mcgahee run all over them. The run defense goes to The Steelers. The run offense also goes to The Steelers. I think Parker and Maroney are both very talented and have equal but different skills. Maroney has a little more shake and bake and power, but Willie is known as "fast" Willie Parker for a reason and despite not being a big back, actually runs a little better between the guards than most. Maroney can stop and change directions as fast as I have seen (other than the likes of Barry Sanders etc.) and runs with toughness. He can catch a ball out of the backfield as well. The real ace in the hole the Pats have at RB is Kevin Faulk though. He may be the most underrated player on the Pats offense. He isn't going to take Maroney's place as the leading ground gainer by any stretch of the imagination, but he is a complete football player and when The Pats have their backs against the wall (which hasn't been often this year) he is one of the most reliable players in the league in doing what is asked of him, be it a draw, running for short yardage, pass protecting or catching the ball out of the backfield. The third down back advantage goes to New England.
The passing game..... well the advantage goes to The Pats offensively. However, The Steelers are best in the NFL in pass defense. The Steelers haven't had to deal with Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Gaffney, Watson, and Faulk yet though. I think The Steelers have a slight advantage at tight-end with Miller, but only slightly. Ben is no Coates, but he is better than most TE's in the league. The Steelers DO have Hines ward though. Let's face it.... he isn't normally a big play guy. He isn't fast, but on third and five, I would rather have Hines than ANY NE receiver. He is one of the best possession receivers ever to live. However, after Hines the Pats are far and above superior to ANY Steelers receiver and except for Holmes, they have no deep threat unless Hines is covered man to man and can pull off a double move.
The pass defense goes to The Steelers, but offense goes to The Pats. However, as good as The Steelers pass defense is, the overall goes to The Pats. They are on a record setting pace.
The special teams are even. Did I just type that ? This is the first times I can remember in years that I can say that. The Pats went to the 2001 SB because of Steeler ST blunders. The Steeler ST are solid and Rossum is a veteran returner that can break one at any time. The Pats ALWAYS have a solid ST unit.
Coaching goes to NE everywhere except DC. Is there a better HC than Bill ? Dick is THE MAN as far as a DC though. As great as the NE "D" has been, in recent years.... The Steelers have normally been better. Dick is about 150 years old, but I would be surprised if he weren't the DC in the year 2012. You can't say rookie head coach Mike Tomlin is a genius just yet, but he was smart enough to retain Dick.
Lastly..... conditioning and consistancy. NE has some old players at LB. I really wonder if they can play at the same intensity in the fourth quarter that they can at the first. The basics of defensive football seemed to be lacking when NE was in the fourth quarter against The Ravens running offense.
The inconsistancy of Roethlisberger worries me. Which "Big Ben" will show up and which OL. Ben's performance has been up and down. Against The Jets.... that wasn't Ben, but the OL. Maybe it was just one of those odd match-up issues (like against Jax) but.... if the "good" Ben shows up, I think The Steelers have a good chance of beating NE. Duh !! Bad QB play pretty much equals a loss anyway, but you know what I mean. I am looking forward to this game my friend.

One last note that is not about this game: Brett Favre had one of his weird brain attacks where he just went apeshit and threw bombs against The Cowboys reverting to his gunslinger mentality and allowing the game to get out of reach for The Pack, they are for real. As much as I believe the AFC is far superior to the NFC, and as good as Dallas is, I honestly think The Packers win The Superbowl this year no matter who they face from the AFC. They are the youngest team in the NFL even with an ancient QB and TE, yet they have few rookies in key positions that might cause problems with conditioning issues. GB is going to be one hell of a tough out for any team. I think the Cowboys loss was a complete farce. No offense to Romo and crew, but they are the NFC team of the near future, but the Pack is the team for now.

Bryant

First thing I want to say is...I love reading your football posts Bryant!!! Seriously..It's so obvious that you love football and you present your points clearly and precise. I enjoyed reading it!!!

That being said.... I'm going to take the Pats Sunday, not because they're my favorite team but reason being the last two games you watched them play down to the level of their competition.... Not something Belichick takes lightly. They have Matt Light on a radio show here in Mass and he was talking about how intense their practice on Tuesday was (Normally they get that day off.. But they had a night practice due to the poor effort in Monday Nights game)

And one important tangible you didn't touch on too indepth is the coaches.... I like Mike Tomlin and I believe he's going to be an unbelievable coach in the NFL, but he's being matched up against the best coach in the league and the master stragetizer Bill Belichick.. He'll devise a plan to force Ben into mistakes and neutralize Willie Parker... The only advantage I see for the Steelers is Rosy Colvin being out for the season.. His backup Junior Seau is more than capable
of filling in...But age is against him.

All in all I think it's going to be an awesome game...But I honestly see New England winning by double digits... Not because their my favorite team but because I believe Belichick will have something special waiting for them.

A couple of quick points.....

Anthony Smith made a BIG MISTAKE predicting victory in Foxboro!!

I have ALWAYS been a fan of Steeler Defenses (I think you and I talked about them before)

Wes Welker could be the next Hines Ward if given the opportunity.

Mike Tomlin WILL win a Super Bowl sometime as a H/C

And Brady will be the MVP this year though I feel a strong case could (and should) be made for Randy Moss

Since I got digital cable a few weeks ago and the accordingly few hundreds of extra TV channels, I now have some US sport channels too. Just can't figure out wich football club to be a fan off... Sure you guys can help me out :)

Becoming a fan is just like any sport, you have to watch and make that call yourself.
Here is a link to get a little understanding of the game
http://football.about.com/cs/football101/a/bl_football101.htm

After watching a few games you then can become an armchair analyst like T-man and Bryant:lol:

Gonzo's right.. You have to decide what you like when picking a team to pull for.. Do you like explosive offense?? If so the Colts or Pats could be for you.
Do you like incredible defenses?? (Like I do:)) Than the Steelers, Ravens, Pats or Bucs could be your team.. Do you want to always like the team that wins?? ( I know SO MANY people who do this it isn't even funny!!) Than don't claim a favorite team until after Feb every year.

Cold weather teams, warm weather teams, dome teams, etc....There's too many things to consider.

It all comes down to personal preference for some and geographical location for others (I.E. pulling for the home team no matter what) But all in all it's the greatest sport to follow due to the shortness of the season and every game having meaning from start to finish....

Just one thing PLEASE don't get as crazy about it as I do!! I alienate my G/F & family every fall!! (Last year I even turned down an invitation to be the best man at my best friends wedding because he was getting married on a Sunday in Sept.... We're still tight though)

Good luck bro!!! And if you need any help Gonzo, Bryant, Flavio or one of the MANY football fans on these boards will hook you up!! (Myself included:))

Becoming a fan is just like any sport, you have to watch and make that call yourself.
Here is a link to get a little understanding of the game
http://football.about.com/cs/football101/a/bl_football101.htm

After watching a few games you then can become an armchair analyst like T-man and Bryant:lol:

Wow Todd Collins played great last night, i was impressed!!! for a guy that hadn't played in the last 3 to 5 years, Redskins needed an emotional lift and got it

Wow, the Bears sucked last night. I hope Wrex Grossman is out for good.
He sucks, the offensive line sucks, and the most hurtful of all, the defense sucked. Started out good, and then went straight into the crapper..... Football season is OVER for me, at this point...
:(

Thanks, and the feeling is likewise. You know though..... we really overanalyzed this game a little bit though. What we basically have is the best offense in the league mathced up against the best defense in the league. Just that alone spells a war.

Bryant

First thing I want to say is...I love reading your football posts Bryant!!! Seriously..It's so obvious that you love football and you present your points clearly and precise. I enjoyed reading it!!!

That being said.... I'm going to take the Pats Sunday, not because they're my favorite team but reason being the last two games you watched them play down to the level of their competition....

I have done alot of betting this year. I am more a gambler than a student of the game.

Bryant
There, fixed. :heh:

I got killed by the bookies vig last weekend and Thursday... lost like 5 games and won 3. I bet too many games and will change for this weekend with less picks and more money on them. I started analyzing last night but got tired. So far below is my picks or skips based on the pointspread. I don't know which bookies you guys use but you'll have to look it up to agree or disagree with my picks/skips. I'll finish analyzing tonight:

Carolina/Jacksonville - Jacksonville, maybe
Dallas/Detroit - Dallas
Buffalo/Miami - skip
NY Giants/Philadelphia - skip

My Steelers got handled pretty well by The Pats in the second half. Lebeau dialed up his best, but the NE offense was too much this time around. I still enjoyed the game except for the second and goal at the one the Steelers had. Don't know who dialed up the fade, but the Steelers have a 240 pound QB and a 245 RB along with the best OG in football. There is a time to pund the football. I would have even bitched, had Holmes come down with the catch. You line up two tight-ends, in the "I" with Ward in close and power the ball in. That is how to play football.
Would it have changed the outcome of the game ? Highly unlikely, but momentum is a big thing. Tomlin is much more intelligent than Cowher, but that was a knucklehead call. Great show by The Patriots though. As long as The Steelers don't have to face The Jags in the play-offs, I will be willing to bet these two teams see each other again.

Bryant

This Patriots team is FAR and AWAY the BEST in NFL history!!!!
Besides the fact that going undefeated in this time of great parity in the league being such an outstanding achievment..... When it's all said and done this team is going to break a good amount of records in the process!!!

The Pats only have one more game that can be viewed as difficult...Laugh if you want but it's going to be the Dolphins!! Miami is not going to roll over and let N.E. take that undefeated record from them without a hard fight..

Anthony Smith is a jackass!!! Dude got undressed all game long!!!

Wes Welker - Hines Ward... I swear they're the same guy!!

I want Randy Moss to be the MVP!!! He's deserving (Not that Brady isn't.....But)

Using a play out of the Steelers playbook to score on them...I said Belichick would have something special for them...

Like them or hate them this team is going to be recognized as the best in NFL history!!! So the haters should get their cry on now!!

My Steelers got handled pretty well by The Pats
Bryant

I will be willing to bet these two teams see each other again.

Bryant

I hope so!!! The Steelers play a better more competitive game against N.E. in Foxboro in the winter months than the Colts do!!
And despite the fact that I want the undefeated season Super Bowl I also want good closely contested games (It makes it more exciting!!!)

Wow, the Bears sucked last night. I hope Wrex Grossman is out for good.
He sucks, the offensive line sucks, and the most hurtful of all, the defense sucked. Started out good, and then went straight into the crapper..... Football season is OVER for me, at this point...
:(

Tell me about it. Grossman does not have that ability to see the whole field. The second his play fails he panics. He cannot improvise or think on the fly. Of course he gets no help from his line because like you said they SUCK!!!! Defense? What the hell is wrong with these guys?
Looks like we are going to have to wait another 20 years for a Super Bowl worthy team.

And what really pisses me off is that the Packers are totaly kicking ass. I'm glad for Farve though.(grudgingly) He far exceded everybody's expectations this year.(even me)

This Patriots team is FAR and AWAY the BEST in NFL history!!!!
Besides the fact that going undefeated in this time of great parity in the league being such an outstanding achievment..... When it's all said and done this team is going to break a good amount of records in the process!!!

The Pats only have one more game that can be viewed as difficult...Laugh if you want but it's going to be the Dolphins!! Miami is not going to roll over and let N.E. take that undefeated record from them without a hard fight..

Anthony Smith is a jackass!!! Dude got undressed all game long!!!

Wes Welker - Hines Ward... I swear they're the same guy!!

I want Randy Moss to be the MVP!!! He's deserving (Not that Brady isn't.....But)

Using a play out of the Steelers playbook to score on them...I said Belichick would have something special for them...

Like them or hate them this team is going to be recognized as the best in NFL history!!! So the haters should get their cry on now!!

I hope so!!! The Steelers play a better more competitive game against N.E. in Foxboro in the winter months than the Colts do!!
And despite the fact that I want the undefeated season Super Bowl I also want good closely contested games (It makes it more exciting!!!)

Smith got burned, just like LT you should keep your mouth shut if you don't have nothing good to say
I was expecting a closer game from the Steelers i figured they might be able to slow the Pats down to keep it interesting

What a win by the Chargers!!!! damn i knew the titans defense would get tired, we needed that road win and got it

On a Jaguar note, if everything keeps going normal Chargers most likely will host the Jaguars for the one of the Wildcards i don't like that a bit even with home fiel advantage i hear you on that Bryant, so the Steelers would host possibly the Browns for an awesome game!!!
I the Chargers would survive it's off to N.E. and if the Steelers survive they go to Indy
Good luck to all of us and may not the best team win :lol: right T-man!!!!

The Chargers played an awesome game bro!!! It was a pick 'em going in so I took the Chargers & Lions for a $250.00 Parlay and was sweating bullets right up till O/T. When the Chargers tied it up I had a good feeling going into overtime...Congrats Flavio, I hope they go far in the playoffs for their fans.

You're both right about the Jags... They're going to ruin some teams Wildcard Weekend!!! They're ALOT better than advertised and with the Patriots kicking everyones ass right now and getting all the attention the Jags are flying under the radar.

I'm going to say it again..loud & proud....

Patriots Undefeated Season 2007!!!!!
No team can stop the march to the Super Bowl!!!!!:kickass:

What a win by the Chargers!!!! damn i knew the titans defense would get tired, we needed that road win and got it

Tell me about it. Grossman does not have that ability to see the whole field. The second his play fails he panics. He cannot improvise or think on the fly. Of course he gets no help from his line because like you said they SUCK!!!! Defense? What the hell is wrong with these guys?
Looks like we are going to have to wait another 20 years for a Super Bowl worthy team.

And what really pisses me off is that the Packers are totaly kicking ass. I'm glad for Farve though.(grudgingly) He far exceded everybody's expectations this year.(even me)

The worst part of the whole Green & Gold thing is living in the same state, and having lots of people know I'm not a Packers fan.

We won't see another SuperBowl here until they clean house in Lake Forest.... :(

Yes but the homefield situtation in the NFC is yet to be decided...But the 4 teams you mentioned have clinched playoff berths..

So the final 4 teams will be Green Bay/Dallas , Indy/New England. Correct?

On a side note... Anyone else starting to think the Steelers have been overrated this season?? Their defense made Fred Taylor look like the best RB ever!! With Polamalu back and a supposedly hungry defense after a 3 td loss to N.E. (Nothing to be ashamed of) I don't know....The Jags looked like the home team in that game!!! Pittsburgh might be a Wildcard Weekend loss away from being out of the playoffs!!

How bout them Jaguars, i still wouldn't like to face them in the playoffs
thanks to the Steelers for giving us the 3rd seed at least for a week lucky they have the tie breaker over the Browns
The Patriots will go 16-0
I feel sorry for the Ravens beaten by the worst team in the league thanks for stopping a record in the making 0-16 sounded great
Still we have people here in San Diego talking shit about Norv Turner i hope we go deep in the playoffs or get at least one win in post season what Marty couln't do

Status
Not open for further replies.