nightingale

I am dismayed to see one of my favourite musicians getting slammed here for no obvious reason. So someone bought one of his CDs and didn't like it. That's absolutely fine. But why the madness? Dan has never ever been one to praise himself. If you just read his site and got the misconception that he's a big-head, well you're sorely mistaken. If you read his interviews, you will see how much of a perfectionist Dan is, and how hard it is for him to actually not find any fault in his works. The thing about Alive Again was that Dan and his bro really took almost an entire year to write, record, mix and produce it. Dan is one of the fastest artists out there when it comes to putting out new music. But he dealt with AA for a whole year, he had time to check every detail and make it sound exactly as it does. It is fine with me if you don't like it. But Dan obviously does, and you don't get to hear from him too often how his CDs kick ass. I personally think Alive Again was an amazing disc, but I like Nightingale's The Closing Chronicles even better. AA is more upbeat, energetic and has a cool proggy hard rock vibe to it, while Chronicles is pure dark prog in its purest sense. I love the fact that Dan has always something unique to offer. There is something in his back catalog that would appeal to any fan of any genre, be it the melodic death metal stuff Edge of Sanity, the 70's prog rock album with death vocals Moontower, his prog rock stuff Nightingale and Unicorn, his old school doom metal stuff Godsend, his experimental stuff Pan.Thy.Monium, etc.

Dan is one of the most down-to-earth and friendliest people you could ever meet. He has never ever said that he's a musical genius. I do consider him some sort of genius though, he is a great songwriter, his clean and death vocals are one of a kind, one of the most haunting voices ever, he can play basically every instrument from guitars to drums to keyboards to bass. There aren't that many musicians of his calibre out there. You don't need to like his music, but there's no need whatsoever for you to put him down like that either.

Last but not least Edge of Sanity - Crimson II is possibly my favourite album of 2003.

Dan Rules. Period. I must admit the new Nightingale album isn't my fave kind of thing but he's in the scene for so long, and he has so many good projects that he's allowed to brag. Besides, he always answers his fan mail and posts around here, so thumbs up for that. Everyone's entitled for an opinion though...

Hey...this is my first serious post around here! :|

Mezarkabul said:
Dan has never ever been one to praise himself.

thats a bit denial that isnt it. didnt i just post a full page of self praising? i know hes quite friendly and that and the music isnt horrible, just very ordinary hard rock, but the showing off is just unbearable, he even does that when you talk to him. 'you know, i did some of the ground breaking black metal albums, i sort of started the scene....' - give me a fucking break dan. if you keep telling me thats not showing off and self praising, then i just cant do anything more for you mate :D

Like I said, when he's proud of one of his works he says it. Also, when he thinks that one of his albums isn't as good as everyone says (like Crimson 1 for instance) he will come out and say it as well. It is a given that Dan has pushed a lot of bands. He was the one who recorded the first two Opeth albums. He's produced and mixed hundreds of bands back in the mid-90's. And he's done a great job. Nightingale may not be your type of thing, but they have four albums out, and all of them are unique. They are the epitome of what "prog" stands for.

Also he is much better artist than most musicians out there, but that's just my opinion. He's never been a show-off or rude. He will answer each and every question and even take the time to burn you stuff that is out of print. All in all, one of the coolest guys I've ever known of.

I think it's really really cute (in a pity kind of way) when people show their immaturity/stupidity all by their own account... we only have to sit back and watch the poor sod make a fool of himself. A poll? Haha, gimme a break.

icon_coeur.gif
what is even cuter is a wife defending her husband
icon_coeur.gif

where are these people coming from :confused: anyway i heard another story from mehdi which he hasnt mentioned yet
(--> you want an autograph kid?) he is big headed. period like.

Embla said:
What attracted me to your posts was the sheer stupidity, the low level of argumentation. I'm sorry, but I can never stay away from debating with the really thick ones. It's a personal hobby of mine to set off a debate of some description, when I know that really, really daft people will do their best to show just how lousy they are at logic argumentation. I have to say, I have seen worse than you, but your youthful arrogance truly makes up for that. Thanks ever so much for the entertainment!

ah my old lady, of course the level of argumentation is low. you guys are denying the obvious :lol:. i pasted a full page of self-praising and you lot keep saying he never shows off. how could i make the debate get any higher? :p and now im the youthful arrogant. denial :ill:

Mariner said:
where are these people coming from :confused: anyway i heard another story from mehdi which he hasnt mentioned yet
(--> you want an autograph kid?) he is big headed. period like.
And if you're at all interested in knowing for a fact rather than hearing stories... then welcome to the Nightingale forum :)

I think Swano has fallen victim to what we call the "jantelov" (Swedish people might understand it). My dictionary says the English equivalent is "the who-do-you-think-you-are attitude" :erk: , that sounds mighty stupid though, so I guess it's only big here in Denmark :cool: .

Those quotes sound very bigheaded though, you deny that? :Spin:

Is there anyone who hasn't been called gay by Mehdi? o_O