A Small Haul...

rgbeach

Feb 11, 2002
Chicago
www.hexology.com
Man, I'm buying way too many CDs these days...

_actual time_ - s/t: These guys are excellent! For fans of technical metal, actual time is a must have. Great complex rhythms and odd time signatures, syncopation, etc. Get both of their CDs

Nightingale - Alive Again: I was really excited about this CD, but didn't know what to expect since the only time I've heard any Dan Swano stuff was at ProgPower 2. Unfortunately, I am a bit disappointed with this release. The production is flawless, the compositions are well written, but it's just not very metal. Sounds a lot like Whitesnake; Swano's deep voice sounds a lot like Coverdale. I'll keep listening...

Opeth - Morningrise: Still working on completing my Opeth collection. As usual, this is another outstanding release from Opeth. Being that it is their 2nd album, it is more raw than Blackwater Park and Deliverance, but that's what you expect from most bands early material. That rawness definitely adds to the emotion of the music. I bought the reissue, which includes an extra track "Eternal Soul Torture" from a 1992 rehearsal - very cool! Ironically, Dan Swano produced and engineered Morningrise - he certainly is a talent!

Bob

i dont listen to opeth, but then again, noone has ever recommended me some, nor have i found any real reason to listen to it at all. But i imagine it to be somewhat like Vintersorg, just less awesome

i recomend all Opeth albuns :lol:

but "blackwater park" is the best

Just listened to two songs, Blackwater park and Windowpane.

Sounds somewhat like Vintersorg, but i have to say Vintersorg has a much better voice and way better songs, but thats my opinion.

Well they are both Prog Metal bands, yet seemingly very different. I like Vintersorg more.

Folk-ish earlier periods (in swedish): Urberget. Äldst av Troner, Till Fjälls, Asatider, Jökelen (pretty much anything from the album Till Fjälls lol)

Newer stuff with star themes and such(mostly english): The Enigmatic Spirit, Naturens Galleri, Star Puzzled, The Essence, Dark Matter Mystery, A Sphere in A Sphere(To infinity), Curtains, Astral and Arcane +++

lol..

or just two: The Essence and Till Fjälls

Opeth is ok, but im not amazed by it.