Nightwish at HOB 10/27/2007

OK, I am really late responding to this thread. Thanks for the review, Jose. I still stick to my guns. I find it extremely difficult to believe that anyone who has seen Nightwish with Tarja at the reigns would be welcoming Anette with open arms. There are three things (musically) that have brought tears to my eyes: Nightwish with Tarja, Opeth and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. When you take away my tears, you take away the magic. The fact that 90% (or more) of this Nightwish tour has sold out will forever boggle my brain.
More power to Nightwish and the fans that are enjoying it, I just can't join in the celebration.

Side response: Yes, HOB security really takes the shit. I have also suffered in the bitter cold more times than I'd like to admit waiting for their slow asses. Is it really necessary to wand everyone? This isn't fucking Detroit, and to my knowledge, HOB is the only venue in the city that goes to such lengths.

OK, I am really late responding to this thread. Thanks for the review, Jose. I still stick to my guns. I find it extremely difficult to believe that anyone who has seen Nightwish with Tarja at the reigns would be welcoming Anette with open arms. There are three things (musically) that have brought tears to my eyes: Nightwish with Tarja, Opeth and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. When you take away my tears, you take away the magic. The fact that 90% (or more) of this Nightwish tour has sold out will forever boggle my brain.
More power to Nightwish and the fans that are enjoying it, I just can't join in the celebration.

Side response: Yes, HOB security really takes the shit. I have also suffered in the bitter cold more times than I'd like to admit waiting for their slow asses. Is it really necessary to wand everyone? This isn't fucking Detroit, and to my knowledge, HOB is the only venue in the city that goes to such lengths.

I'm with you on this Rachel, perhaps maybe this can also explain the decline in music over the years, maybe most fans are just willing to except averageness these days. I can't honestly believe people think she sounds good singing the older material. I might be very picky when it comes to these things but it's my hard earned money that goes to support these bands with live shows and albums and as a fan I should not have to dump out money (and I don't) for something that is not up to par.

Security is really going downhill everywhere.

I think there is a HUGE decline in music. I think the fact that it is so easy now to put out an album now. Years ago before the indie label, you had lots more quality albums. We were just discussing this issue this weekend actually. I think that in the 80's for example....there were a quarter of the amount of releases that therer was today. Now any average Joe can record a disc and put it out themselves.....thus filling the shelves with crap. This is the same problem with films on DVD. With it so easy now for the average Joe to make a movie and do it all with digital equipment, it is hard for stores to pick and choose what they want on their shelves. In the past few years at Best Buy for example, they used to have an incredible selection of horror DVD's....carrying stuff you would not imagine. But with the DVD market getting so over inflatted, now they have cut down supporting the smaller companies and now pretty much only carry certain companies DVD's, and only select titles from those companies even. I think before it was so easy to put out a product, the product had to have some sort of quality. Not that there are not great small bands who are doing it themselves but, I think this has caused lots of people or bands to be lazy. Disc now seemed rushed.
For example...the last Gamma Ray disc, Majestic. The whole disc seemed to be filled with B-sides. Almost as if they were like....well, the same people will buy it, so why put our hearts into it. I read this interview with the guitarist of Helloween saying that the latest disc was written all over the internet and they were just sending files back and fourth instead of getting together to write the songs so they could hurry it up and not take as long as last time. Nothing will ever change because there will always be new fans coming in saying that the newer stuff is great and the older fans saying the opposite.

I think releases are suffering due to bands spending TOO much time on the road.

Metal is a trend again which makes touring opportunities for bands more ample.

Look at a band like Novembers Doom who does NOT tour regularly. Ok, I will go into fanboy mode, but not too far off base here, in saying their releases actually progress and get fresher with each release. More time is spent on writing, not trying to fit it in between the 6 tour for the same album
(Yes, I am talking to you Opeth, Into Eternity, etc, etc)