Nightwish

MorphineChild205

Lt. Horatio Caine
Jun 20, 2003
Chicago
Holy crap, this band rocks!

I've listened to their latest album, "Once," and I'm blown away! Tarja's voice is so kickass, and the keyboards are so cool! I have a feeling that in time these guys will become my second favorite band, right behind Symphony X!

Can anyone recommend any other of their albums or songs that kick ass?

Century Child is the closest in sound to Once. Wishmaster and Oceanborn are more operatic and IMO, the best Nightwish albums. Haven't heard angels fall first.

As a long time anti-Nightwish advocate, it's hard to admit that I enjoy their latest album. But it's true, it's pretty damn cool. Their other stuff I simply cannot stand, Tarja's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. On Once, she goes easy on the operatic sound, so it's listenable. Planet Hell is probably one of the coolest tunes I've heard in a while.

Let it be known that this does not make me a NW fan.

I prefer After Forever with Floor Jansen to Nightwish. Floor could kick Tarja's behind any day, and I'm not even talking about singing yet! Floor is probably one of my most favorite vocalists of all time. Check After Forever out. You'll never miss Nighwish.

RequiemX said:
I prefer After Forever with Floor Jansen to Nightwish. Floor could kick Tarja's behind any day, and I'm not even talking about singing yet! Floor is probably one of my most favorite vocalists of all time. Check After Forever out. You'll never miss Nighwish.
I know, when it comes to this type of music (which I'm no fan of), After Forever is the best you can get. And, they're from Holland too :Spin:

Thank you, MetalChick. I often feel like I'm the only person who doesn't like Nightwish, and whenever I say it, people look at me like :yow: "OH MY GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? THEY CAN DO NO WRONG!" I dislike them for the same reasons you do.

Nope you're not alone, Beelzebub..I don't care for Tarja either (which is a shame because their music kicks ass..until she opens her mouth). Ah well, to each his own.

Coming back, I do have to admit that Over the Hills and Far Away is a great Nightwish song. My favorite of theirs and one of the few I actually like. Of course it's a cover. lol

But hey, I'm a sucker for key changes.

RequiemX said:
Coming back, I do have to admit that Over the Hills and Far Away is a great Nightwish song. My favorite of theirs and one of the few I actually like. Of course it's a cover. lol

But hey, I'm a sucker for key changes.

Have you ever heard the original, it is also very good....Gary Moore freakin' rules! :headbang:

If you like OTHAFA you are on your'e way...I heard that when they encored with it at PP5 and loved it. Next thing you Wishmaster is one of my favorite metal albums ever.

The vocals used to put me off. Now they've grown on me and they are definitely awesome. They need some better solos though.

My favorite songs are Sleeping Sun, Moondance, The Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean and Fantasmic.

Beelzebub said:
Thank you, MetalChick. I often feel like I'm the only person who doesn't like Nightwish, and whenever I say it, people look at me like :yow: "OH MY GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? THEY CAN DO NO WRONG!" I dislike them for the same reasons you do.

May the force be with you my friend :p
I don't like them either... But cannot deny Tarja has a nice voice... But still... Once I guess is the worst album they've made...

@Luis: Have you ever heard Marco's work on Tarot?!?!?! Though is way better if he sings than Tuomas...

They are wasting his talent in Nightwish, not the opposite...

Does anyone know how Tarja is regarded by other (real) opera singers? Is she good or considered a hack? I don't know much about opera (the technical vocal aspects) other than in 90% of cases it gives me the shits and especially the female singers.

I have Century Child and thought it was average. Watched the live dvd last night and thought that was average too.