Nightwish

I agree with the ladies, that Tarjas voice is the main reason why I can never get into Nightwish. Also I heard that her voice is actually not even considered very good in the opera world, and frankly that style of singing really grates my nerves.. I want ballsy women (no not Kimberly Goss balls.. she seems like she has bigger balls than any bloke out there in a literal sense) who can sing right up there with the best of them like Dio, Russ, Tobi etc if you know what I mean, instead of this fairy soft angelic rubbish that appeals to men only.

haha, that's exactly the way my dad thinks about Dream Theater

p.s. Thats what I think about Dream Theater too :lol:, really good till LaBrie kicks in (though I like him on Human Equation, mainly I think because Arjen knew how to pull some passion out of him)

SilentRealm said:
I agree with the ladies, that Tarjas voice is the main reason why I can never get into Nightwish. Also I heard that her voice is actually not even considered very good in the opera world, and frankly that style of singing really grates my nerves.. I want ballsy women (no not Kimberly Goss balls.. she seems like she has bigger balls than any bloke out there in a literal sense) who can sing right up there with the best of them like Dio, Russ, Tobi etc if you know what I mean, instead of this fairy soft angelic rubbish that appeals to men only.
1) Tarja actually studies/studied classical singing, which necessarily isn't the same as opera singing.

2) In Nightwish, Tarja hasn't used her "classical voice" (so to speak) to the full. Her singing is definitely classically influenced, but somewhat different. She wants to keep Nightwish stuff and her classical projects apart.

On Angels Fall First, she was just beginning her studies and you can clearly hear that. Quite groping at times.
On Oceanborn, she used a bit this more widely recognizable "opera voice". Yet, not the kind she would get praise from the opera circles.
On Wishmaster, Tuomas significantly got better in writing vocal melodies for her voice.
On Century Child, Tarja used classical style very little, if at all.
On Once, her style is Oceanborn and Century Child mixed.

In classical circles Tarja probably isn't very renowned, because they are pretty high-brow and she singing in a _metal_ band is outrageous. :yuk:

when i heard nightwish was planning on having a male singer, i was dissapointed. then i heard century child and i thought it was pretty cool. i think marco adds alot to the sound of the band.

on the opeth forum, there is one prevailing question. i shall apply it here: is nightwish mainstream?

to the thread starter: wishmaster is probably the best album to get if you want to see if you like nightwish.

SilentRealm said:

I like Carina's voice on the latest Evergrey CD. Tarja's just :yuk:

^evergrey is terribly dissapointing. they make me feel like im listening to a cheap imitation of a progressive metal band. oh well.

Lapazeus said:
1) Tarja actually studies/studied classical singing, which necessarily isn't the same as opera singing.

2) In Nightwish, Tarja hasn't used her "classical voice" (so to speak) to the full. Her singing is definitely classically influenced, but somewhat different. She wants to keep Nightwish stuff and her classical projects apart.

On Angels Fall First, she was just beginning her studies and you can clearly hear that. Quite groping at times.
On Oceanborn, she used a bit this more widely recognizable "opera voice". Yet, not the kind she would get praise from the opera circles.
On Wishmaster, Tuomas significantly got better in writing vocal melodies for her voice.
On Century Child, Tarja used classical style very little, if at all.
On Once, her style is Oceanborn and Century Child mixed.

In classical circles Tarja probably isn't very renowned, because they are pretty high-brow and she singing in a _metal_ band is outrageous. :yuk:

Though she knows nothing from metal, she is just posing there, and everybody believes and worships her "gothic/metal" fake style!

But we're talking about the voice :p

haha! stormbringers sig is hilarious.

stefan86: ive never known nightwish to be "rated" in the first place. the literature on them is usually all about how they have a somewhat attractive female singer and all that. ive never read anything about how awesome they are at their instruments. anyway, not arguing, just making a statement......

yeah good sig Stormbringer ;)

Dargo wrote
Well to each there own. I love Nightwish, Tuomas writes killer melodies just like the king of melody....RITCHIE BLACKMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In another age you could be burnt at the stake for making such blasphemous comments.....

I think they're underrated, if anything. Listen to the song "Ghost Love Score" from Once. It's just amazing.

By the way, I love Tarja's voice. She may not be as technically proficient as most opera singers, but it sounds good over metal.