Nile -AOFTW.

NK said:
Hard to accept?

I just mean I find it hard to mentally process that it can be the case. I've tried really hard in the past to track guitars that I wouldn't have to touch, but I've always found myself having to adjust things in the end. Will keep at it though.

ArtisanBass said:
Neil, I'd be interested to see what New Wave projects you did way back when. I am plagued with a good knowledge of the genre as I had a sister who was way into that style growing up.

oh and dude, Mahavishnu? Who was playing bass at the time?

The stuff I was doing back then was spread across both punk and new wave. Over a 2 year period - lets say 76-78 or so - I worked with bands like the Sex Pistols, the Stukas, Mande Dahl, Why Not (who became Angletrax), Random Hold, Billy Hamon, Blazer Blazer and others. I was also doing all sort of other things (not new wave though) at the time as well. I worked for Yes doing both studio work and live sound for 18 months, and was chief engineer at Ringo's studio in Ascot for 2-3 years, where I worked with Judas Priest, Brand X (two albums) Hudson Ford, Annie Cavanaugh, Junior Campbell, Ekseption etc.

I worked on 4 Mahavishnu albums. The original bass player was Rick Laird and then Ralphe Armstrong on the last two.

Moonlapse said:
I just mean I find it hard to mentally process that it can be the case. I've tried really hard in the past to track guitars that I wouldn't have to touch, but I've always found myself having to adjust things in the end. Will keep at it though.

I did mention at the beginning of the thread that I used 32 band graphics on the guitars in the mix, but I do that a lot anyway, so that's nothing unusual. 1/3 octave graphics can be a great tool for many things.

To be honest, I hardly process guitars at all really. I like to keep the sound open so that the low end can breathe, especially with heavy palm muting. There's nothing like the low end power of that, and I prefer not to compress them if at all possible. Occasionally I might have to, but that's often in the case when I'm mixing something I didn't record, in order to hear all the articulation of the part. I try to make sure I can hear all of that when I track the guitars.

I was an assistant engineer on "Lost Trident Sessions" and on the mix of "Visions". I was one of the engineers on the recording and mix of "Inner Worlds".

I was only a tea boy/tape op at the time of Birds of Fire. Ha!

All the albums are great. No clunkers. The least impressive is probably the 80s Mahavishnu imho..it feels a bit watered down.

My God. Where can we see your entire Discography? I knew about the 80's pop bands you produced but there is so much more! You must have some great stories!!

Neil, one of my favorite all time recordings by you is Queensryche Rage for Order. The older non re mastered version. That is such a dynamic rock album. And the toms,(really one of your strong points), the toms were so huge! They must have been really big toms actually. Remember the ballad, "I Will Remember"? The toms!!! And there was so much creative overdubbing, Neue Regel for example.

I mix death metal now too. But have only recorded for about 10 years. But I was a home stereo audiophile before. I really like smooth high end and older dynamic recordings. Actually Ive lost a taste for older metal productions lately. Prefer a mix of cleaned up Pro Tools style with clean hifi tones. Actually one thing that gets me about some of your later extreme metal recordings is the slightly excessive high end(3-4k). What are your thoughts on that?

Colin

vile_ator said:
My God. Where can we see your entire Discography? I knew about the 80's pop bands you produced but there is so much more! You must have some great stories!!

Neil, one of my favorite all time recordings by you is Queensryche Rage for Order. The older non re mastered version. That is such a dynamic rock album. And the toms,(really one of your strong points), the toms were so huge! They must have been really big toms actually. Remember the ballad, "I Will Remember"? The toms!!! And there was so much creative overdubbing, Neue Regel for example.

I mix death metal now too. But have only recorded for about 10 years. But I was a home stereo audiophile before. I really like smooth high end and older dynamic recordings. Actually Ive lost a taste for older metal productions lately. Prefer a mix of cleaned up Pro Tools style with clean hifi tones. Actually one thing that gets me about some of your later extreme metal recordings is the slightly excessive high end(3-4k). What are your thoughts on that?

Colin

You can check out my website for a discography. Unfortunately, I've somewhat lost touch with my former webmaster, so it hasn't been updated in over 18 months. Also, the early years of my career were so busy and chaotic that I merely listed the artists I worked with rather than the projects. In some cases I might have done 2, 3 or 4 albums with some bands or artists (I did 4 with Mahavishnu for example, 3 with Billy Cobham etc.) but I only list them once in most cases. I think I'm somewhere near 350 albums now. I've been making records in one capacity or another for nearly 35 years.

RFO was a unique album. There was a great flow of ideas, and the synergy between the band and I was really strong. It just seemed that each idea would spawn another two, and so on. Definitely a very creative vibe. Glad you enjoyed it.

As far as the sonic aspect of some of the stuff I've done recently, the one thing I'm finding a lot is that when I get projects in to mix, they often sound rather dull and boxy. As a result I often have to use a lot of EQ to try to get them up to what I might consider "hi fi" quality, and sometimes the EQ ends up bringing up lots of cymbals or harshness in gtrs etc. It ends up being a choice of either doing that or having a really dull sounding mix, so I try to achieve as happy a balance as possible. The difference between a pro and a "home recording" signal path can really be massive.

To be honest, I don't emphasise the frequencies you mention very much at all, but it's possible that the harmonics/subharmonics respond if I'm adding higher frequncies. Of course, there's always mastering on top of that, so that even if my mix is punchy, the mastered result will often have more sizzle to it as well. Either way, I think it's something that doesn't happen all the time, but mainly on stuff that needs a lot of EQ/serious help on the mixing end of things.

Moonlapse said:
Hey Neil, if I may be so bold... which reverb unit/s was/were used for this album? In particular the start of User-Maat-Re. It sounds fantastic.

Yes it probably is the same combo. I made a load of custom patches for the 480L years ago that I use for that sort of thing.

Lexicon is God. I had doubts about all the worship, but now I see it's well deserved.

I actually have a pair of studio monitors hooked up to my comp, so whenever that part comes on, it just sounds HUGE.

I remember when the 224 came out. I absolutely loved it. I was doing a lot of progressive albums back then...Jon Anderson, Vangelis stuff and also David Sancious. The 224 programs I used back then were some that Vangelis had tweaked out - fantastic sounding. Long, long reverbs that were crystal clear. I ended up transferring those over (manually, because this was all pre-LARC) to the 224L and then the 480L.

The same stock preset (not custom of course..hehe) algorithms are available as plugins too. They sound killer. I'll use those on the mix if the hardware isn't available, but it usually is. Most places I work have about 2-3 480Ls knocking around..and each one has two discrete engines in them.

I would too if i had the hardware:loco: but you said

"The same stock preset (not custom of course..hehe) algorithms are available as plugins too. "

My question was what plug in did you mean? (Please enlighten us with a plug in name/brand!)

The only plug in with lexicon 480l presets i know is the Waves IR1, but hey... thats not algorithm based..

JB.

Hmm.. I used them some while ago. I thought they were made by Lexicon. Also, I think that was in Pro Tools on OS9 as opposed to OSX, so they might not even be around any more.

I still love the verb at the start of 'User-Maat-Re'.

I don't think the ArtsAcoustic reverb that I use can even do a room sound that big. I think I might grab some acoustic tracks I have lying around and give it my best bash though :)