Nile -AOFTW.

NK is in my top 8 of myspace .. now i am so cool... !

lol, anywayz weird question for you NK:

This could be dumb to ask, but did you also mix Karl Sanders's - Saurian Meditation ( his solo album ) ?.

I just can't succeed find any info about the mixing or producing.

NK said:
Hmm.. I used them some while ago. I thought they were made by Lexicon. Also, I think that was in Pro Tools on OS9 as opposed to OSX, so they might not even be around any more.

You mean the "Lexiverb" plugin? I've used it on an OS9 TDM system. Pretty nice. Never used the hardware model, but poeple that have told me the controls on it are exactly like the 480

I have no secrets. If someone wants to know what I used, I'm happy to pass that on. If it helps you along the road, then great.

That's it.

:Spin:

Neil:
Thanks for all the info on such a brutal ambum!!! Could you give us some info on the bass tracking? What gear was used, how many mics on the cab, what DI or DI's were used... what was the balance between the mics and DI signals at mixing time?

Thanks a lot!!!

Neil,

I just want to chime in that the guitar sound on Dreaming Neon Black is one of my favorites ever. I love the "speaker excursion" sound.

I've tried using an RE20 (through a 9098), and I've never been happy. The 421+9098 is magic though, and is probably why you hear it everywhere.

Neil,

I just want to chime in that the guitar sound on Dreaming Neon Black is one of my favorites ever. I love the "speaker excursion" sound.

I've tried using an RE20 (through a 9098), and I've never been happy. The 421+9098 is magic though, and is probably why you hear it everywhere.

I don't usually find the RE20 works well on guitar. I find that 57s or 58s are probably the most commonly used, and occasionally a 421 if it beats out the 57s or 58s, which can sometimes happen, depending on the source sound.

hey neil, i was listening to AOTW this morning and i thought i would resurrect this thread with a question. In Cast down the heretic, there's these vocal trade offs between dallas and karl. Is there some chorus or phasing on karl's voice? it has this sharpness to it that dallas' voice doesn't have, almost a processed quality to it. I think you could probably notice it on the lines:

"Ra-Harmakhis Destroyeth Thee.
He Damneth Thee and Driveth Hooks into Thy Body"

neil congratulations for all of your productions,i love AOFTW.
i really enjoy that everything sounds really natural and not overcompressed etc if you know what i mean
i also love the natural snare(george is my favorite drummer in death metal).
keep up

Hello Neil! Thank you for doing this, I have a lot of respect for you, man!

I didn't realize you did this one until I stumbled upon this thread!

A few questions I have: You said you quad-tracked guitars. That really says something about the competence of these players! WOW! These were the main "rhythm" tracks, specifically? How were they panned in the mix, if you'd be so kind? Did you change the imaging much during the course of the record, if at all for any special effect or anything? I too am very impressed with the sound you got with a single SM57, but I bet the blend of 4 performances per side really helps thicken things up and using one mic would eliminate phase problems (is this your thinking?) and track-counts.

What was your approach for the OH and ambiance for the drums on this record? Any room or distant-micing going on?

(really sorry if this was answered already) Where was this tracked? As in, what studio, or was it a "remote" session in the band jam-room type-thing? Tape or Digital? (If digital) What AD converters (or interfaces) were used on the front-end? You said tracking was about 2 weeks @ 16 hours per day, do you recall what was allocated for setup (tuning, getting sounds, headphone mixes, etc...), then actual tracking of drums, bass, guitars, vocals (and of course all the "other" elements going on!) during that duration? Was there much comping going on, or do you punch-in mainly for any possible flubs? I imagine these cats were pretty on their game nevertheless! That's a good amount of time, so I am curious how you guys spent and best utilized it all!

What mic(s) were used for the vocals? Dynamic processing going on for tracking of those? Hardware used?

Also, did you have much/any parallel processing going on during the mix (compression or otherwise)? What's your approach to summing things on the console? How much time did you spend on the mix, roughly? Do you have much revision work normally, or do the bands take what you give them? I'm interested to hear how you deal with mix-downs. Oh yeah, do you use any 2-bus processing when you mix death metal, or do you leave that for mastering?

Thank you so much for your valuable information and time!!!:kickass:
(OMG, I just realized there are 1,000 questions here, sorrY!! - I just enjoy hearing how other pro AE's deal with DM productions!)
-Geoff

Hi Neil - just would like to say that I think your production on AoTW is totally sublime... fully transcendental death metal! It simply has to be the best sounding Nile record - arguably Nile are the kings of the genre, and you're work has gone and made them sound even better :heh:

Hi Neil - just would like to say that I think your production on AoTW is totally sublime... fully transcendental death metal! It simply has to be the best sounding Nile record - arguably Nile are the kings of the genre, and you're work has gone and made them sound even better :heh:

I recently made a playlist for reference death metal recordings. cannibal corpse, macabre(GREAT ONE TOO, barely mentioned!!!) and nile were among them. It´s inspiring to me how a good engineer is able to produce/record anything you put in front of him. I mean you did some of the best death metal recordings of all times, just like that, when so many guys are trying since many years and still fail. of course the bands you worked with were sublime too though. cheers...!