non-metal bands/musicians you listen to

Beelzebub said:
Barry Manilow, Hall and Oates, Wham!, ABBA, The Police, Sade, Nat King Cole, Engelbert Humperdinck, Buddy Holly, Herman's Hermits... the list goes on.

BARRY MANILOW?? :puke: If there's one musician in this world I can't stand, it's him.

Anyway, I dig stuff like Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Boston, ABBA, old Collective Soul (since they sound like shit now) and there's a Brazilian jazz group called BossaCuccaNova that is really jammin.

Metal Immortal said:
Arcturus...? (They are too fucked up to be called metal, I'd say)

Obviously... I am a little shakey about whether or not some of these should be in this list because of one's definition of "metal", which is so broad that I just try not to even use it anymore.

I might have to agree with you about, Arcturus. While they have some metal riffs thrown in here and there mingled with metal drumming - for example on "The Sham Mirrors" - they experiment so far beyond metal.
They play a bit of everything, and that's what makes them one of the best bands out there today.

Plus, it's quite interesting to see a white boy like, Garm, pull off some dark gangsta rap. :headbang:

I like a lot of non-metal music. Here is few bands what I listen....
Flower Kings
Chick Corea
Joel Hoekstra
Chicago
Allan Holdsworth
Frank Gambale
Shawn Lane
Spock's Beard
Tribal Tech
All kinds of movie soundtracks
Niacin
Mahavishnu Orchestra
.....there are so many other band to listen, but maybe those are the most listened non-metal bands for me.

The Metal Chick said:
BARRY MANILOW?? :puke: If there's one musician in this world I can't stand, it's him.

I listen to Barry Manilow for his humor value. The man walked into a wall and broke his nose, you have to admit that's pretty funny.

Don't ask where I read this quote, because I can't remember anymore, but Barry Manilow's supposed to have a good sense of humor about himself. I heard he said once something like, "My music is the kind that you either love or it makes you want to vomit." Almost those exact words.

God, I cannot believe I'm talking about Barry Manilow on this board. ;)

Wishbone Ash-(they kick so much a*s it's not even funny!!!!dual lead guitar).
The Beach Boys.
60's and early 70's stuff.
Military marches (The British Grenadiers etc...).
Film Soundtracks.

A lot of jazz stuff...from Scofield to Miles to Holdsworth to Corea

Classical stuff, mainly baroque and romantic periods...a lot of Chopin and Bach

And any jam stuff or classic rock that wouldn't be considered metal...

Rose Immortal said:

Hellfire said:
The Beach Boys

Its not hard to believe RI :D

and my favorite quote on music is :

"I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland." - Woody Allen.

Rose Immortal said:
I heard he said once something like, "My music is the kind that you either love or it makes you want to vomit." Almost those exact words.

I heard on some live disc (yes, i was forced to listen to his live disc for hours on end at work for many weeks o_O ) him complaining about his music being ruined because it was played in elevators. If its being played in elevators, you know it blows.

And yes, to talk about Manilow at length on this board is a sin.

The Metal Chick said:
i was forced to listen to his live disc for hours on end at work for many weeks

No wonder why you hate him. If I was subjected to daily Manilow at work I'd quit my job.

Oops, I wasn't supposed to say the M-word. Sorry.

Hmmm...

Rush
Many non-metal DT side projects
Natalie Imbruglia

And of course, video game music! The following games have kickass tunes:

Doom (I and II)
Mega Man X's
Anything Metroid
Resident Evils

I'm not much of a video gamer, however, the whole Hitman franchise is THE exception. Not only is it a great game (the only one I play), but the score to each game is always top notch.

The music for Hitman 2 was orchestral and epic - one of the best scores I've heard for any game, let alone any movie. SX forum members might even enjoy that score.

The music for Hitman 3 was dark electronica/ambient - while very good, it is overshadowed by its predecessor. All scores written by the same individual, Jesper Kyd.

www.jesperkyd.com

Guitarmaster said:
I'm not much of a video gamer, however, the whole Hitman franchise is THE exception. Not only is it a great game (the only one I play), but the score to each game is always top notch.

The music for Hitman 2 was orchestral and epic - one of the best scores I've heard for any game, let alone any movie. SX forum members might even enjoy that score.

The music for Hitman 3 was dark electronica/ambient - while very good, it is overshadowed by its predecessor. All scores written by the same individual, Jesper Kyd.

www.jesperkyd.com

I presonally like the scores from Final Fantasy. Especially FF6.

Funny you should mention Journey...when I brought a SymX CD home to my parents for the holidays, the first thing my mom said about it was that Russell Allen sounded a LOT like Steve Perry!

While he doesn't always, I can hear the resemblance too.