Non-metal music stuffs (recommendations)

True. They had very good albums as shitty ones. I personnally like Zeit, Stratosfear, Cyclone, Atem, Rubycon. But Klaus Schulze's solo albums are really awesome (Kontinuum, Moondawn, Dreams).

Fuck yeah Moondawn :)

Also, Coil anyone?

I really must check Rush,now i have tons of free time,and im making my music list for this summer.
Can somebody recommend me some good ambiental things?Ive heard some black metal/dark ambiental bands till now,and i really want to listen to some nice ambiental things.

If you like Wolves in the Throne Room you might want to check out Krallice, one of my favorite ambient/atmo BM bands of the now. But since this is the non-metal thread,

CliffBurton mentioned them previously, but Tangerine Dream is a fucking great place to start if you want some nice ambience.

Artists I've mentioned that rock the soundscapes would be Sunn O))), Steve Reich (Pick up 'Music for 18 Musicians', fucking best.) There's also the album Voyage 34 by Porcupine Tree, that's a suuuuuper nice atmosphere. It basically sounds like a bunch of Pink Floyd chord progressions stuck together but incredibly slow-paced and melodic, veeery repetitious while a narrator explains someone's acid trip from a 3rd person perspective.

And fuck it, I know this is non-metal but I can't not mention ISIS to someone looking for good ambient sounding stuff. I'd recommend starting with either of their recent releases, Wavering Radiant or In the Absence of Truth.

You guys might hate me for this, but I like this band alot.

All of it so drug induced and hippy-ish that it's almost refreshing compared to most bands out now days.
They also help me relax quite a bit

*shitstorm commence*

Last edited by a moderator:
some would consider this band metal....but i look at them...at least currently....as a Melodic heavy rock band.....not metal.... AMORPHIS

Amorphis are a metal band, fuck off. And take your obnoxious signiture and stereotypically "hardcore" username with you.

some would consider this band metal....but i look at them...at least currently....as a Melodic heavy rock band.....not metal.... AMORPHIS

Dude, ever hear of a fucking comma? Perhaps try a hyphen now and then?
Amorphis is 100% metal by the way. Stop listening to Metalcore, it seriously fucks your mind up boy.

Sigur Ros

Sigur Ros is more post-rock with a more folky style of singing (although I say it more resembles scat jazz).
When thinking ambient I assume they mean your typical soft-synth stuff.

And on that note, I can't believe I haven't mentioned it. Eingya by Helios!!! I listen to this one all the time, one of my favourites. Nerve tell me more like this.

page3_blog_entry573_1.jpg

White2
OO Void
Flight of the Behemoth

Any of these will steer you in the right direction.
What's your opinion about Monoliths & Dimensions ?

Steve Reich (Pick up 'Music for 18 Musicians', fucking best.) There's also the album Voyage 34 by Porcupine Tree, that's a suuuuuper nice atmosphere. It basically sounds like a bunch of Pink Floyd chord progressions stuck together but incredibly slow-paced and melodic, veeery repetitious while a narrator explains someone's acid trip from a 3rd person perspective.
Well, if you mention Steve Reich, you cannot dismiss Philip Glass. And Transmission 4 / The Sky Moves Sideways by PT are great aswell.

You guys might hate me for this, but I like this band alot.

All of it so drug induced and hippy-ish that it's almost refreshing compared to most bands out now days.
They also help me relax quite a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad-tgbtbCEM

*shitstorm commence*
MGMT are great. Time To Pretend is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

And on that note, I can't believe I haven't mentioned it. Eingya by Helios!!! I listen to this one all the time, one of my favourites. Nerve tell me more like this.

page3_blog_entry573_1.jpg
School Of Emotional Engineering s/t album, Library Tapes, Machinefabriek, Bola (in an electronic way, but one of the best electronica act ever), Hyakkei, Kontakte... Can't think about anything else right now, but I'll tell you later.

What's your opinion about Monoliths & Dimensions ?

I don't actually have that one, is it a collaboration with anyone or is it just straight up Sunn O)))?

Well, if you mention Steve Reich, you cannot dismiss Philip Glass. And Transmission 4 / The Sky Moves Sideways by PT are great aswell.

No, I can't. I would've mentioned him for the sake of writing similar styles of music, but I'm afraid I know practically nothing about Philip Glass so I just kept shut and hoped someone else brought him up.

Pretty much anything by PT rocks. Gavin Harrison is a douchebag on drums.

I don't actually have that one, is it a collaboration with anyone or is it just straight up Sunn O)))?

No, I can't. I would've mentioned him for the sake of writing similar styles of music, but I'm afraid I know practically nothing about Philip Glass so I just kept shut and hoped someone else brought him up.

Pretty much anything by PT rocks. Gavin Harrison is a douchebag on drums.
This is just their brand new album. Jazz-influenced, sounds a bit like Earth's first efforts. I still don't know what to think about it.

Philip Glass is certainly the most interesting contemporary and repetitive music composer. You should try Solo Piano (containing the major piece "Mad Rush"), Saxophone, The Hours Soundtrack, Music In 12 Parts, 1000 Airplanes On The Roof, The Photographer... And so many others...

PT Is my favorite band, then I have to agree with you, even if I kinda disliked the cold and pale FOABP. Considering Harrison, you should try to watch "Hatesong" from the Arriving Somewhere DVD, or listen to "No Twilight" from SW's Insurgentes. That would perhaps change your mind.

PT Is my favorite band, then I have to agree with you, even if I kinda disliked the cold and pale FOABP. Considering Harrison, you should try to watch "Hatesong" from the Arriving Somewhere DVD, or listen to "No Twilight" from SW's Insurgentes. That would perhaps change your mind.

By 'douchebag on drums' I meant he makes it look so easy. He's a talented motherfucker.

Isis.

And for awesome classical music with breakbeats and electronic influences check Venetian Snares, its damned epic

Seen ISIS live, fucking rocks.
Venetian Snares are pretty sweet, I like the album "Rossz Csillag Alatt Született" quite a bit in particular.