Non-metal music stuffs (recommendations)

Holy shit, where to begin?

Alan Parsons Project - Produced multiple Pink Floyd albums at Abbey Roads I think, his solo shit is groovy as a motherfucker too.

Allan Holdsworth - Sweet sweet jazz fusion and wankery.

Black Flag - Because punk is not metal.

Bound Together - Actually an album title, not a group. But essentially it's a collective effort to remix old tunes from the SNES game Earthbound, and most of it really kicks ass.

Cannonball Adderley - Pretty straight forward swing jazz, worked with Miles Davis.

Captain Beefheart - I can't really explain it with words.

Desert Sessions - Bunch of rockers go into the desert for a weekend, eat mushrooms and hit record.

Frank Zappa - Probably my favorite music ever. Covers too many bases to describe briefly.

Gustav Holst - Modern classical composer, famous for his Planets Suite.

Igor Stravinsky - Modern classical composer, famous for The Rite of Spring, The Nightingale, The Firebird, etc.

Jean-Luc Ponty - Virtuoso violinist, revolutionized the instrument by popularizing the 5 and 6 string electric violins stacked with FX. Collab'd with many artists/groups such as Mahavishnu Orchestra/John McLaughlin and Frank Zappa.

King Crimson - Good ol' british prog rock.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Really technical prog/jazz. Not a big fan of the later stuff, but shit like Birds of Fire is so sweet.

Miles Davis - Needs no introduction.

Mr. Bungle - Two words: Patton, and Zorn.

Naked City - One word: Zorn.

Nobuo Uematsu - Famous for his work with the Final Fantasy series, as well as the Black Mages (But they're metal, so they don't fucking count).

Porcupine Tree - Really relaxing prog rock from britain, but lately they've been way too depressy-sounding for my liking lyric-wise. Music is phenomenal.

Rush - Fuck you if you don't already listen to Rush.

Steve Reich - Now here's an interesting one. Minimalist modern classical composer, focuses on moods/atmospheres with little chord changes.

Sunn O))) - One of my faves, drooooooooooooooooooooone.

Sympozion - One of my favorite new bands coming from Isreal, shame the composer killed himself at the beginning of the year. Upbeat yiddish prog/jazz, some of the nicest compositions I've heard in my life.

Venetian Snares - Shit's awesome when you're stoned.

That's it for now I guess. If you have any questions about any of these bands just ask.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Goblin
Pelican

Caspian, God is an Astronaut, Mono, Silver Mount Zion.
Just to complete the list :p.

Sunn O))) - One of my faves, drooooooooooooooooooooone.

That's it for now I guess. If you have any questions about any of these bands just ask.

Whats a good starter album?
Be easy on those who don't listen to Rush, not everybody can be Canadian.

Nick Cave is definitly my favorite artist, he is the only musician that i consider an "idol"

Last edited by a moderator:
Caspian, God is an Astronaut, Mono, Silver Mount Zion.
Just to complete the list :p.
Whats a good starter album?
Be easy on those who don't listen to Rush, not everybody can be Canadian.

1 - Maybeshewill / Mogwai / Jakob
2 - Try Oracle. Brillant and quite accessible album.
3 - Even if you're not a canuck, you HAVE to listen to Rush.

I really must check Rush,now i have tons of free time,and im making my music list for this summer.
Can somebody recommend me some good ambiental things?Ive heard some black metal/dark ambiental bands till now,and i really want to listen to some nice ambiental things.

I really must check Rush,now i have tons of free time,and im making my music list for this summer.
Can somebody recommend me some good ambiental things?Ive heard some black metal/dark ambiental bands till now,and i really want to listen to some nice ambiental things.

wolves in the throne room! best ambient black metal band
weakling
leviathan
blut aus nord

as for related to the thread im really into...

vangelis
rafael moreiro
jewel
thin lizzy

Thanx for recommendations:)
I agree for those BM bands,they are all awesome.:kickass:
I became a Vangelis fan few months ago,thats why i wanted to check more ambiental music.Vangelis is smth i enjoy a lot lately.
But Thin Lizzy is not ambiental as far as i know.

LOL!

those last ones pertain to the thread, the black metal ones were an answer to your question

vangelis is amazing he's so fuckin good

Oh sorry,i havent red your post well:p
I totaly agree for Vangelis.I really think that there is no person in this world which doesnt know at least 5 of his songs.

Thanx for recommendations:)
I agree for those BM bands,they are all awesome.:kickass:
I became a Vangelis fan few months ago,thats why i wanted to check more ambiental music.Vangelis is smth i enjoy a lot lately.
But Thin Lizzy is not ambiental as far as i know.

lololol

thin lizzy with ambiental influences
that would be weird

*raises hand* Never heard of this, "Vangelis" unit

They did the Soundtrack to Bladrunner.
Pretty cool soft-synth stuff. Tangerine Dream does some shit like that. The problem with them is its really hit-and-miss. Their albums are either brilliant or fucking terrible, and there are so many that I can never remember which are which.

So for them, some known good ones I like aaaare.
Soundtrack to Legend, Tangram, Great Wall of China. I'll let Nerve finish the list.

Lustmord...only with a gay line through the "o", is some Dark Ambient, for whoeverthefuck it was who asked.

They did the Soundtrack to Bladrunner.
Pretty cool soft-synth stuff. Tangerine Dream does some shit like that. The problem with them is its really hit-and-miss. Their albums are either brilliant or fucking terrible, and there are so many that I can never remember which are which.
True. They had very good albums as shitty ones. I personnally like Zeit, Stratosfear, Cyclone, Atem, Rubycon. But Klaus Schulze's solo albums are really awesome (Kontinuum, Moondawn, Dreams).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBR_3ioVJcE&fmt=18[/ame]

I really like these. Fair to Midland. Alt Rock kind of stuff.
Album is really cool, this song and "Walls of Jericho" are absolutely awesome.