Non-Mic'ed Guitar, Suggestions?

Viral_Tyler

Oct 12, 2011
New Mexico, USA
This is my situation as of right now, till about 2 months, I can't afford an instrument mic, and I don't have an interface at the moment either, which I will have in 1 month.

Bear with me, as this is my only gear right now; my 1 year old Marshall JCM DSL 2000 head and Celestion T-75 cab got jacked from my drummers house, which was broken into.

So right now, I'm running through a Digitech Metal Master stompbox (with power adapter), to a Marshall MG100 solid state head, using a gold stereo TRS cable, and using a gold 1/4" stereo to 1/8" stereo adapter to convert it, so I can go to my computer's microphone input.

Here are some sample demo's (they contain only guitar's and programmed drums):

I'm really wanting to go for JCM 800 or JCM DSL 2000 type sound, with either V-30s or T-75s. I also understand nothing will sound the same as the analog tubes.

Right now I think I get a really crunchy, unrealistic, piercing high freq, digital sound out of the head.

Maybe its my distortion pedal? I may consider trying an Ibanez TS to see if it will sound how I want.

Please keep in mind, this is just for recording demo's for myself to ease my recording craves while my interface is broken, and I don't want to spend much cash, as in less than $85.

I have been considering running it dry through a free online digital amp modeling plugin.

Would I get better, cleaner results this way compared to running my signal through the solid-state head like this?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think you could get better sounds from free plugins such as LePou amp sims and using LeCab with IR's. Although if its just for demos then what your doing right there is quite fine and it shouldnt matter if its all going to be re-recorded.

I personally think you could get better sounds from free plugins such as LePou amp sims and using LeCab with IR's. Although if its just for demos then what your doing right there is quite fine and it shouldnt matter if its all going to be re-recorded.

Yea that is pretty much the idea. It will all be re-recorded.

When I have an instrument mic I'm sure I will be able to get the sound I want out of the position, and the speakers aren't emulated like the head's line out, which is prolly why I get that bitey sound.

I'll try those out, thank you :)