Non-Viking Folk/Pagan Metal

Aristocrap

New Metal Member
Apr 18, 2012
Connecticut, USA
So I've been heavily interested in pagan themes recently, and I've been looking for metal with those kinds of aesthetics. However, it's no secret that the pagan scene is largely dominated by 'viking metal.'
Rather, I'm more interested in other groups of peoples; Slavics, Gauls, Eurasian cultures, etc. All the nordic stuff is fun, but after a while you tend to want to listen to something other than "Hail Odin!"

I think these may be to your liking, lots of pirate stuff and middle eastern folk-infused. It may help to look up the phrase 'oriental metal', you'll get the pagan aesthetics while avoiding the vikings. Changed my world when I discovered that term.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjEUI6viL80&list=PL863B3DA3E9D36FBB&index=7[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
[youtube]watch?v=GQ5sZ8O2G-4[/youtube]
[youtube]watch?v=j8-6h9vjWNQ[/youtube]
[youtube]watch?v=GPo9BiOsjIs[/youtube]
[youtube]watch?v=VrZ5E6Hj8jk[/youtube]
[youtube]watch?v=sFCqtF7WzSA[/youtube]
[youtube]watch?v=cKsWVzzaIgY[/youtube]
[youtube]watch?v=LrFekfI_ugI[/youtube]
[youtube]watch?v=ol0bTwCkwJ4[/youtube]

Cruachan are an irish pagan/folk metal band with a lot of celtic influences. Also heidevolk are netherlands but i suppose still kind of viking.
Korpiklanni are a mix of thrash and folk and sound amazing,
Eluvetite, you may have heard of them but they r a female fronted folk metal and sing about nature and stuff.
Elvenking are a crossover between power and folk metal but sing about themes such as paganism, fantasy, elves ect...

Check out this. Folk metal with Slavic influences from Ukraine:

Last edited by a moderator: