Norther - Death Unlimited

Steiner

Dyslexics Untie!
May 24, 2002
Rocklin, CA
www.google.com
Amazing step forward for this melodic death metal band from Finland! If you're a fan of the other Finnish death acts like Children of Bodom or Kalmah you're really gonna wanna check this one out.

The production easily surpasses their previous studio release, Mirror Of Madness, and vocalist/guitarist Petri Lindroos drops some of the tightest, most melodic, most beautiful leads I've heard since those awesome Colony/Clayman era In Flames albums. Tuomas Planman's keyboards have also dramatically evolved in my opinion. Whereas before the keyboards where interwoven into almost every song at multiple points, now they're shorter and sweeter. The band really picked their spots without sacrificing any of the atmoshperic effect. The album even has an amazing 2:30 electronic piano solo titled "Beneath" that shows how talented Tuomas is.

Check this shit out folks. Norther just released a killer album!

hell yes steiner, i agree totally, ive had it for 3 months or so, i had been eagerly awaiting its arival from theendrecords, norther has easily become one of my favorite bands, and this release is simply killer, it took me 4 or so listens until i began to cherish it as much as their debut, dreams of endless war, still my favorite... but yes, greaet release and well worth the 12 bucks if your a fan of the genre

Steiner said:
Amazing step forward for this melodic death metal band from Finland! If you're a fan of the other Finnish death acts like Children of Bodom or Kalmah you're really gonna wanna check this one out.

The production easily surpasses their previous studio release, Mirror Of Madness, and vocalist/guitarist Petri Lindroos drops some of the tightest, most melodic, most beautiful leads I've heard since those awesome Colony/Clayman era In Flames albums. Tuomas Planman's keyboards have also dramatically evolved in my opinion. Whereas before the keyboards where interwoven into almost every song at multiple points, now they're shorter and sweeter. The band really picked their spots without sacrificing any of the atmoshperic effect. The album even has an amazing 2:30 electronic piano solo titled "Beneath" that shows how talented Tuomas is.

Check this shit out folks. Norther just released a killer album!
I am really into COB, and have heard great things about Kalmah. (mostly swampsong)

DO they have as much keys as COB? Or less....I would be interested if it was the latter.

HemiGTX said:
DO they have as much keys as COB? Or less....I would be interested if it was the latter.
They used to have more keyboards in their previous 3 albums but this album definately has less than I was expecting. Like I mentioned though, the keyboards are shorter but sweeter. Dude! If you like Kalmah and CoB this album (or any of Norther's albums for that matter) would fit right into your collection. Download some tracks if you want to see what I mean. Very good stuff.

i love finnish metal at the moment.... my personal highlight is Insomnium... they are really fucking awesome
they have this ability to play really well structured and textured songs, without the need of constant guitar acrobatics and shit - it is really intelligently written and its unique!
it has hints of opeth-esque interludes and has a more harshed vocal style than some bands.

check them out www.insomnium.cjb.net

i just got the kalmah swamp song album and that is fucking great too
its full of really memorable melodies and themes.
get it down you!

i checked out those bands, and i didnt like any of them, there was nothing special about those bands to me, im more into the melodic folky style leads that comes forth from the finnish bands, steiner, you should check out Ensiferum www.ensiferum.com , these guys are amazing, and it doesnt sound like kalmah norther or CoB, because these guys play more traditional finnish style, putting a lot of folk influences in the melodies. these guys arent a joke, check them out

oh ya and petri lindroos of Norther is touring as their rythm guitarist and singer, because of their former left the band, and its rumored that he might fill in permanently...he has been asked by the band to stay

No joke at all. I have Ensiferum's self titled debut and I've been meaning to check out their new release...the one w/the cover of Metallica's "Battery". They are simply an amazing band with a totally unique sound. They are too unique for a genre IMHO. Maybe melodic death folk...err yeah...lol. First time you listen to them you're not quite sure if the tracks were recorded for a metal audience or a Renaissance Fair, but the shit works and it flows like a match made in metal heaven. Thanks for reminding me that I need to pick up their new one.

BTW...You are definately right...I would never associate them with Kalmah, CoB, Norther, etc. I had forgot they were from Finland.

I'm really digging on Diablo right now. They remind me of a few American metalcore bands but definately retain that technical European sound. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check out some more tracks from the other suggested bands, but Diablo just seriously grabbed me at the first track. I hear a little Mnemic, some Sepultura, Fear Factory, and a shitload of classic Bay Area thrash. Lots of depth, melody, and variety in their music IMHO...none of which feels forced or insincere.

BTW...if the guys in Testament are skimming this thread check out fucking Diablo. These guys are polished and fresh. I wanna know what you guys think. Thank me later.

steiner, just to let you konw i finally got ensiferum's Iron in the mail from theend today, and shit man, its beyond me, i didnt think they could top the self titled debut, but fuck, they did, this cd fucking slaughters, check it out as soon as possible