northern studio V2.0

Looks fantastic, man! I'm just a little concerned about having the desk that close to the front wall, but other than that, well done!

Yeah the sweet spot should be more centered in the room, if you have not made measurements then do it and see where the best spot is in the room :)

Looks awesome as i said earlier though!!!

Looks absolutely stunning!

As for the monitors being too close to the front wall, it looks right to me. The photos were obviously taken with a very very wide lens so the room probably looks a little bit bigger than it actually is. Gotta hope those monitors aren't rear ported though...

Thanks everyone for your comments!!!! You're right joe the picture look a little bit bigger than the real life. My monitor triangle is 6,2 feet. The sweet spot is very narrow...If I move a metre back the stereo image is not the same!!!

$30 000 sounds cheap to me considering the result, if it also sounds good. Of course you did it yourself, but it's so worth the money imo. Plus, you have a serious Wow! factor now (not even kidding, just count the "wow" here :) ), you can probably increase your rates in the near future !

Sexy as fuck!
My GF walked thru the room when I opened the thread, and I could hear a "wow!" from behind me :lol:

I had the same thought as Anssi, how about reflections from the wall behind the speakers?
Even with live end/dead end that could be an issue I guess?

Also what I think is a bit of a pitty, but as far as I can tell from the pics there is no window and therefore a visual connection to the musicians, right?
But I guess I would be too much epic if you could also see into that live room during mixing, while sitting in that awesome controlroom hehe

If i can just spam iron daggers to become a lvl 100 blacksmith on Skyrim, there has got to be some sort of lifehack to become a master carpenter in real life.

I found this out the organic way.. Ie not reading walkthrough/guides.. So true

Hi everyone, Yannick told me about this group so i thought i'd jump in to elucidate some of the mysteries of this design ( place dramatic music here:popcorn: ).

First, a huge credit goes to Yannick in his achievement in rendering this design i made. This design was truly a carpenter nightmare and it could have been a disaster in the wrong hands. That clearly shows that it's worth every minutes of work when you take your time to do it right.

Thanks for all your comments/concerns, it's great to know my work is appreciated. But these are only pictures... you should hear how it sound !

Now for the technical stuff. The "rear wall close to the speaker" issue would be a justified concern if it was indeed a wall. First yannick speakers are front ported, second SBIR is greatly reduce by the use of the rear broadbands slats. SBIR will always occur no matter how far from the rear wall speakers are located, it will only happen at different frequency varying with distance. Frequency at which the slats are tuned for. Just for the records there is space varying from 16" to 42" behind those slats. The original design was for soffit speakers. And it is still possible do do so. We opted for stand mounted because yannick was not settled on which speaker he would use.

As for the mixing position not being in the middle of the room issue. As a rule of thumb the middle of any room is just about the worst place one could place his/hers listening position. First node is located there. That being said, in some situations it could work, that what's making sound design so complicated, there is just so many variable.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

regards
Eric Arbour