Not sure what the next step is for production skills... tips?

xClayman -31-

Sep 2, 2009
OK, I have been recordin a lot recently and have learned tons about it and am getting a lot better. I'm not sure what to do next to improve my skills. There are a few things I KNOW I need to understand, one of which is compression, but not sure what else to do. My recording setup right now is as follows:

Mac G3
Protools 6 (upgrading to 8 this week)
Digidesign 002 mixer (not rack)
2 SM57 and 2 SM58
Line 6 Vetta (I use direct recording into my mixer)
Steven Slate Drums LE (I barely know how to use this. Just got it. I've been using GP5 drum files :loco: )

I literally use no plugins. I know I should do post-EQing, but I just don't feel like it :lol:

Here is a link to some of my more recent clips that I did with Steven Slate drums (Cracky Metal kit with no tweaking at all. No experience with drums. Not sure what to do) bass and guitar. Check out the more recent ones (at the top of the page) and Stricken please. Stricken is the master track without the original songs guitar's, just my guitars btw.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/DiSTuRBeD+-26-/

I'd appreciate any help from you guys, since you have so much experience.

Depends what you want to do? Here are some suggestions

- Get a kick mic and 2 pencil condenser mics and learn micing real drums. You can get far with kick, snare and 2 overheads when practicing. You can also use the kick mic to mic a bass cabinet and condensers to mic for example an acoustic guitar later on so they're not "wasted".
- Get a large diaphram condenser and start record vocals
- Get a keyboard and start doing some synth stuff
- Learn to use the stuff you already have and start doing own material

Well, Im direct recording bass and guitar, and I dont have real drums to mic =/

Basically what I want to achieve is getting my mixing levels set straight, and learn to use compression. Also, just getting EQing PERFECT so it sounds professional like. I'm not sure how to explain it, but whatever.

EDIT: And getting good drum tones (from Slate LE) and good bass tones.

Listened to a couple of your covers, sounds pretty nice. If anything I'd suggest getting better at programming drums. You're doing well with your Line6. Do you plan on recording anyone else like friends or local bands in future?

^Definetely not.. I'm only 15. This is just for me, unless I can get a band going.

Anywhere I should look on how to get some good drum tones out of Slate LE and how to compress and which mics to use etc etc?

Basically what I want to achieve is getting my mixing levels set straight, and learn to use compression. Also, just getting EQing PERFECT so it sounds professional like. I'm not sure how to explain it, but whatever.

Aren't we all. :lol:

tbh there is only so much you can expect to achieve with what you have. obviously its about how you use the gear, but it also depends on the source.

just keep practicing with what you have, and improve your gear as you improve your skills. the better you get at recording, you should find yourself relying on eq to fix things less and less.

How about taking some recording and DAW classes at a local community college, university, or trade school? Or looking around for an internship at a local studio.

Either of these will get you more studio experience, expose you to different techniques, and give you a better foundation of knowledge to build upon.

wow 15 and using protools, im 16 (only today though) and using reaper and AD

ah well

your UG profile songs are definitely good but as you know there is still plenty of room for improvement, as is there with everything

^Well, my dad bought the mixer and protools a few years ago, thinking he'd record. Never really got much into it. I took over :p

BTW: I tried everythin I could to make a decent tone come out of my speakers for recording, but I can't do it. It sounds great in person. I think it has to do with the shitty cabs/direct recording. I'm gonna try using a real SM57 and see where that gets me.

Im considering classes. There is a Protools class at my local Uni, luckily

Yeah, compression shouldn't be necessary on high-gain rhythm IMO (except if you have a particular compressor that imparts a pleasing coloration, but even then I doubt people are taking off more than a couple of dB's). And I wouldn't say the amp particularly compresses the tone; there's a bit of that going on, but mostly it's more just brutally clipping the peaks (AKA distortion), rather than attenuating them at all.