I´m going to record drum samples next week, any tips??

acappa

Alex Cappa TMF Studios
Hello ya all! Next week I´m going to record 3 songs and I want also to record samples, mainly BD, SN and 3 toms. Drums are Mapex Pro M (mid range) but it sounds pretty good. My question is: Should I use some kind of compressor/Eq on the way in??? Or just conect the mic to the preamp and start recording??
What about the intensity? Higher hits peaking at -3db i.e ??? Do I have to leave some headroom for later post processing?? Don´t know really which are the steps to follow...I hope some of you could throw a bit of light to it...

What I aiming for is "something" aprox to Slate samples (yeah I know I don´t have his studio, gear....) it´s just I want samples ready to use on Slate´s trigger.
Thanks mates!!!!

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice for your question, but I will say:

If you are using real drums for your songs, get cymbal samples. You never know when you'll edit something weird and would need just a clean crash to blend it together. It's happened so many times to me. :(

If you are using real drums for your songs, get cymbal samples. You never know when you'll edit something weird and would need just a clean crash to blend it together. It's happened so many times to me. :(

+1

I recentley tracked a band with a god awful drummer, the guitarist sounded better than him on drums when he was messing around on it. then when it come to editing between takes i could get this on transition to sound right. And really wish i had some samples of the cymbals to blend in to that transition................ so i had to used one of ez drummers crash cymbals, not ideal!

There's no need to be peaking at -3db. Set gains so that your peaks are coming in at about -12db. Headroom is your friend.

I wouldn't bother using outboard eq/compression unless you have some fantastic world class hardware and REALLY know what you're doing.

There's no need to be peaking at -3db. Set gains so that your peaks are coming in at about -12db. Headroom is your friend.

I wouldn't bother using outboard eq/compression unless you have some fantastic world class hardware and REALLY know what you're doing.

Ok man. So I´ll set higher hits at around -12db to ensure some headroom to post processing. One more question, once I have my track full of single hits...I open them in as example, Sound forge and start equing, compressing...is that the way it´s supossed to be??

One more tip that will be very appreciated on the board: share the samples!
That´s for sure

Ok man. So I´ll set higher hits at around -12db to ensure some headroom to post processing. One more question, once I have my track full of single hits...I open them in as example, Sound forge and start equing, compressing...is that the way it´s supossed to be??

That´s for sure

Genarally I tend to have my harder hit at -6dbfs peak for the max but more common at 6/10dbfs peak. You be aware about this:
0dbvu=-20 to -15dbfs (depend how your A/D are qualibrated)
In analog world hotter is better (that about S/N ratio and use all the bit with 16bit machine) but in digital softer is beter. The new red is yellow:lol:

But for back to the thread: after recoding you need to proper cut every hit and after process;)

So, I´d record 3 series of hits: soft, medium and hard with 6 hits each one, so 18 samples in all and then cut every hit so I´ve got 18 samples with different "velocities" and...what do you use to do now?? Compress, Eq and Clipper like Gclip....¿?

Some tips:

-Start getting low samples and work your way up to high samples
-Get both a dry (moongels!) and a wet (no moongel or 1 moongel)
-Track both top and bottom head (flip phase of bottom head)
-Track with mild EQ such as adding a little highs. You know you're going to add highs in the end so why not just add a little to get maybe 50% there
-Powerstroke 3 coated without dot. Also try some unconventional heads like Pinstripe clear
-Get strong rimshot hits (consider using butt of stick), hard no rim hits, and medium-soft no rim hits
-Use good mic technique. Don't float the mic over the head too much or you will get all attack and no body. Pull it back even with the rim and shoot it somewhat across the head. Experiment
-Don't use compression on the way in. Do this in the mix or maybe a little when you are slicing up and fading your samples.
-When you feel like the drum is sounding good, get a test sample and listen to it in a mix before proceeding
-Get a few room samples of a couple different pitches. You never know when you'll use these to blend in.

Normalize to use all headroom

People will disagree with me, yet everyone loves my samples.

Just sayin'

Oh and you'll need either a 1176 or an API compressor to get anywhere near slate.

AND you'll need to use a pre that you can "drive" hard.

Why? Doesn't have any effect on the sound.

If you need to add EQ (or even subtract) you'll end up pulling the input level down in whatever plug your working in. Use outboard and you'll need Hjto pull down the fader and attenuate.

I dunno, it works for me. I usually have more problem if my initial level is too low. But cubase has adjustment for input gain on every channel. So i guess I'm used to working with maximized source file, and just adjusting throughout the chain. I'm not sure if it's a myth, but it seems like every plugin has a sweet spot, especially the emulation compressors. If you don't get the input right, you don't get a great outcome.

Another reason why I mentioned normalizing is because of balance between mics. I like to have everything as loud as possible when the fader is at zero. And then from there I will start to decide the comparison levels. Kind of like resetting your unity gain relationship between multiple mics. I'm guilty of somewhat mixing with numbers instead of my ears. Because it works for me. Ie: I might know i want to hear the bottom snare 6 decibels quieter than the topmhead, but since volume is relative, and my starting point could be anything without normalizing, it might be harder to figure out where six decibels of difference really is. This probably doesn't make sense to anyone but me so ill just put the boot in my mouth haha.

Oh well, It seems your Private folder is full. Well I post hear the msg:

" Hey mate, FOA thanks for your comments and help in the post i´ve created. I just want to ask you about the way I can get better output with the gear I own. I´ve got 2Ch tube preamp TL Audio PA-1 and this is the best preamp I´ve got, I can drive it really hard and even add some saturation. Also I have UAD plugins, waves, TC powercore and Liquid mix compressors and EQ. I just want to know what will you choose to process your samples with the gear I´ve mentioned.
Thank you very much!!! "