How To Create Unique Drum Tones Using “Basic Bitch” Drum Samples

brianhood

No Care Ever
I just release a free video from my (not free) mixing course, and I'm hoping it can help some of you today. This is where I see most of the newer guys fall flat on thei faces, and it's such an easy thing to fix...

They keep using these basic-bitch Steven Slate Drum samples in their mixes.

Don't get me wrong, Slate samples are awesome and of the highest quality. The problem is that every single guy in the heavy-music world of mixing has these samples.

If you want to put out the exact same mix as everyone else, that's fine. Keep using Slate.

Otherwise, watch this video to see what you can do to find a more unique sound without having to make your own samples from scratch.

https://fromshittogold.com/basic

PS. This is straight basically copied straight from an email I sent out to my mailing list. Sign up if you want to be notified when I release the next video.

It's cool what you're doing, though calling it "basic bitch" doesn't speak to me. *shrug*
Also you loaded the wrong tom sample (Custom Maple 16 top).

Basic bitch is a little basic, like OMG so edgy and hard to relate to because I'm so proper. Should have gone with something less offensive like sperm burping bitch basics. That is cutest piece of shit I've seen in a while though.

Basic bitch is a little basic, like OMG so edgy and hard to relate to because I'm so proper. Should have gone with something less offensive like sperm burping bitch basics. That is cutest piece of shit I've seen in a while though.

I think it's cool how we have 'Soilwork - Stabbing the drama' and 'SocialNumb - Starting the drama'. *kiss*
I wasn't offended, I was just saying. It's like those food recipes where everything is "le awesome" and "Fucking bomb shit piss cunt delicious". It just makes me cringe.
And before your adrenalin starts rushing and your fedora shoots off by the increasing pressure in the vein in your forehead; I'm just fucking around. Shiiiiieeeet.

Hey Brian, I've signed up for the mailing list about a month ago and received the email with confirmation link.

Though, I've never received any of the free mixing tracks or the free videos. Help a brother out?

I think it's cool how we have 'Soilwork - Stabbing the drama' and 'SocialNumb - Starting the drama'. *kiss*
I wasn't offended, I was just saying. It's like those food recipes where everything is "le awesome" and "Fucking bomb shit piss cunt delicious". It just makes me cringe.
And before your adrenalin starts rushing and your fedora shoots off by the increasing pressure in the vein in your forehead; I'm just fucking around. Shiiiiieeeet.

hahaha I totally get it dude. My shitty sense of humor isn't for everyone.
You might agree that "How To Create Unique Drum Tones Using Generic Slate Drum Samples" isn't any more clickable than what I chose here.

Be sure to check out the other videos when they're released, as they're less offensively titled than this one.

Also, I just realized how much fucking room my signature takes up. I need to shrink that shit down.

The video is called "How To Create Unique Drum Tones Using “Basic Bitch” Drum Samples"

But then you spend the whole video using anything but the "Basic Bitch" Slate samples?
Not complaining about the content generally, and I actually prefer it when people use stuff other than the Slate samples for exactly the reasons you mention, but it kinda goes totally against what the title actually says?

I think that "basic bitch" in this context is more or less all the samples basically anyone can get (and have gotten) their hands on. And then Brian goes on to show how you can make interesting and unique sample blendings of them, making it obsolete to use ie. Slate samples and leave them unprocessed (or super close to the original) as so many have done in the past.

I think that "basic bitch" in this context is more or less all the samples basically anyone can get (and have gotten) their hands on. And then Brian goes on to show how you can make interesting and unique sample blendings of them, making it obsolete to use ie. Slate samples and leave them unprocessed (or super close to the original) as so many have done in the past.

yup you nailed it! These are all sample packs that everyone else has access to. The "snare 12a, kick 10, new maple toms" that I use in the example are just most basic of all samples available currently (well maybe that, or ezdrummer).

The opposite of "basic bitch" samples would be the personal sample collections that producers guard under lock and key in an effort to remain unique (especially these days).

Regarding this free video: Brian may I ask you why you have the bus outputs on multiple columns in PT???
On Mountain Lion with PT11 I have a all on a single column.... it's annoying!
Maybe there's some settings in PT. BTW in 10 years of using pt I never saw it... if there is anyway

around-the-world-and-back-snap-o.gif

Regarding this free video: Brian may I ask you why you have the bus outputs on multiple columns in PT???
Maybe there's some settings in PT. BTW in 10 years of using pt I never saw it... if there is anyway

Just noticed it now that you pointed it out. Must be a setting somewhere but yeah that looks so much faster for finding the bus you need!

Nice one Brian. Looking forward to the next videos.

One question:In this drum video there seems that there drums are also getting their sound from the OH and Rooms Mics. What are you using for those?

for what i can hear these drums are all midi am i right? or the cymbals are from a real perfomance?

Bad news, looked into it and it's a Windows thing. No joy for Mac users :(

Hmmm unless this was filmed before he got it, Brian runs a Mac Pro.

The drum portion of this course was filmed using a PC, and the rest is on my new Mac Pro.

I don't have any difference as far as pro tools setup between the platforms.

Can someone screenshot what exactly you're referring to here, because I'm not exactly sure.

Also, here are two more preview videos (didn't want to spam the forum every time I post a new preview).

Is Programmed Bass Better Than Real Bass?

How Much Does Your (shitty) Room Effect Guitar Tone When Reamping?

Both of those are on my Mac Pro, so let me know if it's the same deal.

The drum portion of this course was filmed using a PC, and the rest is on my new Mac Pro.

I don't have any difference as far as pro tools setup between the platforms.

Can someone screenshot what exactly you're referring to here, because I'm not exactly sure.

This:
Screen%20Shot%202015-10-01%20at%2021.00.32_zpsoldlcezt.png

When I open my busses in PT I only get one column and have to scroll down if the one I wan't isn't at the top.