November '08 East Coast Shows

I really don't like it when there's a bunch of opening bands that detract from Symphony X's set time. Even if the opening bands are good (which they rarely are), I'd still rather hear more from Symphony X. I say one opening band maximum, and two if absolutely necessary, but three is overkill.

Unfortunately, the music touring market is not as profitable for bands without massive fan bases (i.e. SX). Adding more bands (especially at least one local opener) generally yields a bigger turnout. I agree that more Symphony X time would be great, but sadly it's not always the most logical thing to do.

I really don't like it when there's a bunch of opening bands that detract from Symphony X's set time. Even if the opening bands are good (which they rarely are), I'd still rather hear more from Symphony X. I say one opening band maximum, and two if absolutely necessary, but three is overkill.

It's not really the opening band situation. Symphony X simply doesn't choose to play longer than an hour and 25-35 minutes most of the time. I saw the Wantagh, NY show. There was one (fantastic) opener, and SX still played the same number of songs.

So I just found this on Wikipedia, under "Thomas Miller"...

On November 21, 2008 at a Symphony X show in Sayreville, NJ, halfway into the set, Russell Allen said "Tom, get your ass up here!" He was refering to none other then Thomas Miller, who came on the stage to join his former bandmates. Allen went on to say that "without this guy there would be no Divine Wings of Tragedy, and there would be no Symphony X." Tom shook hands / hugged with everyone in the band and then took a bow. From this, Miller seems to be on good terms with the band.

Can anyone confirm this? Seems pretty cool.

On November 21, 2008 at a Symphony X show in Sayreville, NJ, halfway into the set, Russell Allen said "Tom, get your ass up here!" He was refering to none other then Thomas Miller, who came on the stage to join his former bandmates. Allen went on to say that "without this guy there would be no Divine Wings of Tragedy, and there would be no Symphony X." Tom shook hands / hugged with everyone in the band and then took a bow. From this, Miller seems to be on good terms with the band.

Yes, this did happen.

That is the coolest thing I have ever heard! :headbang: