Novice at the Gates of Doom

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
As the title suggests, I have decided to start exploring a whole new genre of the metal realm. I've been listening to so much black metal and nothing but black metal, so I need to start finding other stuff to help balance it out. I don't need anything similar to black metal, such as black/doom.

I've done some research into popular doom bands I've heard mentioned on this board. My findings suggest my doom preferences go for a heavy, modern production, clean vocals that don't go too high (no falsetto range), and influences from stoner rock add some life to it. I really think I can get into this genre and embrace it almost as much as with my love for black metal, and I'm excited that I'm finally branching out to other kinds of metal.

My research has rendered the following albums as the best of what I've liked so far (basing my opinions on myspace samples), and potentially the first albums I buy in my new doom quest.

Candlemass - Candlemass

Cathedral - Carnival Bizarre

Electric Wizard - We Live and/or Come My Fanatics...

Lamented Souls - The Origins of Misery

Pentagram - Day of Reckoning

Reverend Bizarre - Crush the Insects

So based on those albums, please offer your guidance as I pursue a secondary path in my metal experience. Remember, no NWOBHM vocals, not yet. Thanks!

What the hell are "NWOBHM" vocals? Anyway...

BLACK SABBATH
Fall Of The Idols
Burning Saviours
The Gates Of Slumber
Isole
Minotauri
Saint Vitus
Count Raven
Dark Quarterer
Solstice
Warning
The Lamp Of Thoth
Revelation
Against Nature
Pagan Altar
Unorthodox
Asylum
Blood Farmers
Orodruin
Penance
Internal Void
Earthride
Mirror Of Deception
Nemesis (pre-Candlemass)
The Obsessed
Pale Divine
Solitude Aeturnus
Last Chapter
Trouble
Witchcraft
Witchfinder General

1) Listen to me, I know what I'm talking about.
2) You're welcome.

I know what you're talking about, and I would like you to be my counselor in the ways of Doom. By NWOBHM vocals I (generalizing) mean the high falsetto vocals. I don't want vocals too high or cheesy sounding. I think the more natural clean voice suits the mood better.

Thanks for the recs, I will me a studious disciple of your doomish ways.

Evoken isn't what he's looking for at the moment, silly. He's looking for Traditional Doom.

And yeah, you're not going to find much falsetto in Doom Metal in general.

What I'm seeming to like so far is traditional doom/stoner doom with modern production, which adds to the heaviness. The song "Hopkins the Witchfinder General" by Cathedral is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

What the hell are "NWOBHM" vocals? Anyway...

BLACK SABBATH
Fall Of The Idols
Burning Saviours
The Gates Of Slumber
Isole
Minotauri
Saint Vitus
Count Raven
Dark Quarterer
Solstice
Warning
The Lamp Of Thoth
Revelation
Against Nature
Pagan Altar
Unorthodox
Asylum
Blood Farmers
Orodruin
Penance
Internal Void
Earthride
Mirror Of Deception
Nemesis (pre-Candlemass)
The Obsessed
Pale Divine
Solitude Aeturnus
Last Chapter
Trouble
Witchcraft
Witchfinder General

1) Listen to me, I know what I'm talking about.
2) You're welcome.
and
3) Some how get Doomcifer into this thread
Dantesco
Terra Firma
Reino Ermitano (Haven't heard yet, but I've only read good things)
Pentagram - First Days Here and Relentless
Valkyrie
Totem
Ogre
Iron Man

The Gates Of Slumber
Minotauri
Count Raven
Solstice
Unorthodox
Orodruin
Penance
Internal Void
Mirror Of Deception
Pale Divine

These bands you listed have passed the myspace test. I'm heading to the record store tomorrow to see what it's got, plus the albums I already mentioned. Thanks.

Oh, traditional doom? I thought just doom, death/doom. Sorry then.

Am I the only one that thinks that genres like death/doom, drone doom, funeral doom, etc. aren't really doom? I think they should be filed under another genre, personally.

Yeah, they're filed until Death/Doom, Drone Doom, and Funeral Doom. People who say "Doom" and mean one of these genres instead I believe are mistaken in doing so, since traditional Doom Metal is the base tag associated with the term. When someone says "Doom," they should be talking about Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Trouble, Saint Vitus, and the like, and not Evoken, Skepticism, Worship, Mournful Congregation, and Thergothon.

Yeah, they're filed until Death/Doom, Drone Doom, and Funeral Doom. People who say "Doom" and mean one of these genres instead I believe are mistaken in doing so, since traditional Doom Metal is the base tag associated with the term. When someone says "Doom," they should be talking about Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Trouble, Saint Vitus, and the like, and not Evoken, Skepticism, Worship, Mournful Congregation, and Thergothon.
I'll remember that.

These bands you listed have passed the myspace test. I'm heading to the record store tomorrow to see what it's got, plus the albums I already mentioned. Thanks.
Which record store do you go to (I ask because you live in Boston, like me)? Newbury Comix metal selection generally appears to be pretty shitty, for the most part only carrying the most well known metal bands.

Which record store do you go to (I ask because you live in Boston, like me)? Newbury Comix metal selection generally appears to be pretty shitty, for the most part only carrying the most well known metal bands.
Well I live in the same town as Zephyrus and I think that Newbury Comics has a very good selection of metal. Which one have you gone too?

Burlington, Camgridge - Harvard Square, Cambridge - Fresh Pond, Worburn (it has since closed)

I go to all three of those quite frequently. In fact, I hit all three of them today in order to round up an eclectic doom haul.

Best thing about Newbury Comics is definitely prices, much cheaper then other chain stores, especially the used CD's.

I go to all three of those quite frequently. In fact, I hit all three of them today in order to round up an eclectic doom haul.

Best thing about Newbury Comics is definitely prices, much cheaper then other chain stores, especially the used CD's.
Yes. They tend to have stuff on sale a lot, too. But last time I went, I bought the latest Merrimack album for 15 or 16 bucks, so sometimes the prices of underground metal albums there are just as high as they would be at those other places. Any other Newbuiy Comix locations I didn't mention, that you would recommend?

The one in Newton used to have a separate metal section (like Burlington) but they recently dissolved that and it's gone downhill. I've found good stuff at the one out in Shrewsbury. The one in government center sucks, and the one on newbury street is meh.