Now playing thread

Trying to listen to Swans again. Why is this album on so many people's top of 2014 lists?

I don't get it :(

Depending on your gripes with the album, you may enjoy their pre-1997 output, Michael Gira's solo work, or the first album they released after reforming, My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky.

(Their earlier work is intense, experimental and, at times, relentlessly heavy. Jarboe's voice and the industrial parts add really interesting layers; Gira's solo work, Angels of Light specifically, is far more melodic; My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky isn't nearly as long-winded, both in terms of song and album length.)

...or maybe you won't enjoy any of that either. Regardless, it's not worth dwelling over. Life's too short to listen to music that doesn't speak to you.

Personally, I really enjoy all eras of their music–it's hypnotic, textured, and sometimes achingly beautiful–and you can find their influence across a wide range of extreme genres (example: listen to the opening of Half Life and then listen to the opening of Napalm Death's Multinational Corporations Part II). They do what they want the way they want to do it and that's pretty inspiring.

- - -

Circa Survive - Quiet Down