Now playing thread

I get what you mean, Wilson can have some really :erk: angst lyrics sometimes, but I have no problems with the lyrics of that one.

Aside from the chorus, I don't mind them either—it just reads like something I would write in my pre-teen years when I was an emotional wreck who listened to a lot of nü-metal. (Playing forum therapist: Perhaps my hangup on the lyrical content is that it reminds me of those years? Could be. :lol:)

Anyway, I started imagining the lyrics to "Don't Hate Me" and "Pure Narcotic" as words written from the perspective of someone with borderline personality disorder, rather than an angsty, 30-something year old Steven Wilson. It helps me not be so obnoxiously critical.

"I'm sorry dad, I'm sorry dad I'm not like you"

:lol:

Aside from the chorus, I don't mind them either

I think of the chorus like someone being in a relationship/at the ending of a relationship, and just feels like the other person is a much better person (even though he/she probably isn't, by further reading into the lyrics) due to loving that person. if that makes sense? love makes you act/think in weird ways sometimes

Musically, I love the hell out of that song, but every time Steven Wilson sings "don't hate me, I'm not special like you," I cringe. It makes me want to skip the track. Pretending it's tongue-in-cheek doesn't help either. (I don't think of myself as a lyrical snob, but rhyme and certain expressions of angst can get on my nerves easily.) Oh well.
I understand, he does have these kind of really childish sentimental lyrics sometimes, but it doesn't bother me personally.

Here's some background on the lyrics I stumbled upon: Steven Wilson said of Slave Called Shiver: "It's a very perverse love song, yeah. I mean, it's an unrequited love song. It's a love song with somebody who's obsessed with someone else, but none of that affection is returned. It relates very closely to 'Don't Hate Me', which is a song again about someone who's obsessed with someone from afar. 'Don't Hate Me' is an even more extreme version, because here this person actually begins to follow and make phone calls and, you know, it becomes very unhealthy. 'Slave Called Shiver' is slightly less extreme. It's about someone who's very much in love and obsessed with somebody else. That love is not returned and so there's a slightly violent perverse undercurrent. 'Pure Narcotic' also is very much the same subject".

Maybe it helps putting the lyrics into context and take away some of the cringiness ;)

I really like the whole album. Strong contender for the best death metal album of 2016 for me.
Yeah man, best death metal album of 2016 for me definitely.

NP: Sons of Aeon - Faceless

Last edited:
Reactions: winters epilogue