Now playing thread

The Crown – Under the Whip

The release of the new At the Gates album inspired me to revisit Tomas Lindberg's other projects, past and present; his vocal performance on Crowned in Terror may be my favorite.

Aside: I don't think I've heard any other The Crown album. Any worth checking out?

The release of the new At the Gates album inspired me to revisit Tomas Lindberg's other projects, past and present; his vocal performance on Crowned in Terror may be my favorite.

Aside: I don't think I've heard any other The Crown album. Any worth checking out?

Deathrace King is the classic one iirc :)

Reactions: winters epilogue

Tomas vocals are actually the weakest part of that album. The Crown's usual vocalist, Johan Lindstrand, has a lot more force and he fits the music much better. In fact I think Tomas vocals are a main reason I don't care for Crowned in Terror, so I'd recommend other albums over that one in general.

Deathrace King is widely considered the best I think, but I also really liked Eternal Death and Possessed 13. The first song I ever heard was Bow to None and I was immediately drawn in, which lead to Dead Man's Hand, another slightly slower but awesome song. After that I heard their faster tempo stuff and I was hooked.

So yeah, those three albums are the ones I'd recommend. In no particular order, they all deliver.

HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE HELL IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomas vocals are actually the weakest part of that album. The Crown's usual vocalist, Johan Lindstrand, has a lot more force and he fits the music much better. In fact I think Tomas vocals are a main reason I don't care for Crowned in Terror, so I'd recommend other albums over that one in general.

That's interesting. I don't disagree so much as I don't feel nearly as strongly. I'm only six songs into Deathrace King, and I agree Johan's voice does fit the music very well, but I can't say it's hitting me any harder than Tomas' performance on Crowned in Terror. (Granted, I like Tomas' voice a lot, always have, and I'm well aware that it's not everybody's cup of tea.) Maybe the other albums will sway me.

The Crown – Rebel Angel

I like Tomas' voice in the right setting. I think it's great in Nightrage and acceptable in ATG. His voice is more shrill and has a certain air of desperation which suits more emotive music. Something that is in your face like The Crown doesn't really match his delivery in my ear, but it's all up to personal taste like most things in life.