Now Playing

Fin was Waysted's original singer on the first 3 discs & ended up getting the boot so that fairy Danny Vaughn who is/was much more of "pretty boy" could help Pete Way & company fit in w/ what was going on @ the time. I haven't heard a single thing about what Fin has done since leaving Waysted back in the 80s, although not knowing anything about him (including a last name!!!) made it difficult to find any info on him...

As much as I like a lot of the new really heavy & modern music, I can still appreciate certain bands & am glad to see that this disc is coming out. I'll make a final opinion when it arrives.

Joe

Well Joe,

I haven't been much of an Annihilator fan since "Alice In Hell". Waters incessant line-up changes have kept me from warming up to the music. I get a strong feeling that the back catalog would be that much better if he actually stuck with musicians for longer than 10 minutes and maybe let them contribute more so he couldn't/wouldn't run wild with just about every idea that enters his head. Since he says it's a band, perhaps he might want to try actually treating it as such. :bah:

That said, I enjoy "All For You" because it actually sounds like a group effort this time(I'm sure it isn't in reality) and the riffs are amongst Water's best. I also found it to be a bit more diverse than most of the past stuff as well. Regardless, it's pretty likely that at least half the band will be out on their asses soon enough and I'll have to try to start fresh again...........

Now you surprise me with such high praise for Rusty Cooley. The man can no doubt play, but the songs are soooo worn out in approach that the disc could have been recorded twenty years ago and no one would be the wiser. I guess I just prefer more adventerous goodies like Eklundh's Freak Guitar and Joboj. If I do listen to "traditional" guitar music, they should have strong songs, restraint and emotion; Rob Balducci's "Mantra" is a great example.

Oh well, can't agree on everything. But then- Who would really want to?! :loco:

Last listen: Igor Belsky- Road Tested

ENERTIA_Joe said:
Fin was Waysted's original singer on the first 3 discs
DOH! Shows you how much I know..

ENERTIA_Joe said:
& ended up getting the boot so that fairy Danny Vaughn who is/was much more of "pretty boy" could help Pete Way & company fit in w/ what was going on @ the time.
From what I understand (which is surely not the whole story), Danny got screwed on the deal as well. (yes, I have liked Vaughn in Waysted & Tyketto, though I thought Flesh & Blood sucked in a "we are going to be the next Black Crows" sorta way, and I haven't been at all into the Vaughn project, which keeps promising "(a return to the classic Tyketto sound)" all along, but isn't ever even close). It seems there usually are no winners beyond the record execs when they pull this shit, but then, at least they often also lose out themselves (though I'm sure they always find ways to benefit through tax write-offs & such). BASTARDS!

ENERTIA_Joe said:
(hard to imagine if that is humanly possible! :) (but probably not as fast as jeff Waters! LOL - read this: http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=28349)
Oh, wasn't that a rush.. I guess I'm more naive than most, maybe, and perhaps I bought into Jeff too much when he wrote me a response to a USNail post I sent him after picking up SET THE WORLD ON FIRE back in 1994 or so, but.. Anyway, I wouldn't have taken him seriously at all in those comments about his speed, though I'd probably believe his abilities are up there. All those responses were a riot. I mean, I've heard from Jeff that he always studied and respected the Di Meolas & De Lucias of the world, and that's why he writes cool diverse stuff like "Crystal Ann" & "Bliss" & stuff. These broad influences are why I like his work so much.. As for his band line-up shifts, sure I'd like to see a band stick together, but it -seems- to me that most of what I like about Annihilator comes from Jeff alone, so I can't care too much.. C'est la vie..

Before I post what I've been listening to, let me say that the new singer for Annihilator totally ruins it for me. I've gone back to it a few times & just cannot get into it at all.....

Today's choices:
Dokken - Erase The Slate (AKA Reb Beach takes Lynch to school! LOL!!
My fave Dokken album after Under Lock & Key. The thing that sold me on this disc was the live show I saw in Columbus , OH - I was blown away by the sheer energy of the band on that night...)

Alien Ant Farm - truANT (I kid you not - I love this band & hope that they are going ot continue even though I heard their gtr player bailed - Just went to their web site & it doesn't llok like its been updated any more than ours :loco:)

Herod - For Whom The Gods Would Destroy (I've had this one for a while & always just end up listening ot it on my crappy speakers on ym work coputer. I'll put it in the car & play it this weekend to see if it grabs me, as its one of those discs I like listening to, but don't remember anything about it after itsdone playing....The sort of have a more melodic Killswitch Engage style in case you are wondering)

So - What the hell have you been listening to??

Also - Roman, jeff & Scott: if you read this - sign up & start posting here dammit!!!:hotjump:

While we're on the subjects of miscellaneous listening...

Joe, you ever heard Last Tribe? I got into them in 2002 when someone sent Tim W. (Detritus) a note that "(you all should review Last Tribe! They are the most awesome, bad-ass, melodic heavy metal band that has ever been conceived)" yada, yada, and on, to which we all said, "yeah.. right." I managed to come across their new album at the time, WITCH DANCE, and darned if I wasn't hooked hard. Great melodic metal with hints of prog here and there. Good songwriting, good musicianship, good production. How can you go wrong? Anyway, I was just musing that it's been more than a year since their third disc, THE UNCROWNED, so I meandered over to their website to check on news, and the guitarist/mastermind is currently working on a new CD featuring the vocal talents of none other than Russell Allen & Jorn Lande (I'd assume each handling vocal duties on several tracks, rather than doing duets all the way through). There was a sample linked here at MelodicRock.com, and upon checking, I must say I'm looking forward to it indeed.

In the car:
Section A - The Seventh Sign
Ghost Of An American Airman - Skin
King's X - Ear Candy
Jelly Jam 2
Magnitude 9 - Decoding The Soul
Dare - Beneath The Shining Water
The Grip Weeds - Giant On The Beach
Dead Soul Tribe - The January Tree

In the house:
Neal Morse - One
Manifesto - Pattern 26
Elevator Division - Years
King's X - Live All Over The Place
Tears For Fears - Everybody Loves A Happy Ending
Code Black - Penetration
Esoteric - demo (I'm reviewing it)

Hey Joe! :wave: I figured I should register here and thank you and the rest of Enertia for the great music! Force and Flashpoint see heavy rotation in my car! Flashpoint gives my subs a beating!!!

What am I listening to currently? Well, my signature says it all. I'm really getting into Vanden Plas, and "The God Thing" just arrived in the mail today and I must say that it's excellent! This disc could wind up being my favorite from VP!

Hey Joe, just found the forum tonight. Thanks again for the t-shirt site, I really do think we will use them. As for stuff I am listening to -
Winds - The Imaginary Direction of Time
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - (title escapes me now)
King's X - Dogman
Intruder - Psycho Savant
Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
Down and Above - Anodyne (a really cool heavy alt rock band that reminds me of the early 90s)
Draconian - Where Lovers Mourn
Zero Hour - Towers of Avarice

and of course

Some stupid Enertia cd :loco:

Lots of other great stuff too

Anton

Soul of Ice said:
Hey Joe, just found the forum tonight. Thanks again for the t-shirt site, I really do think we will use them. As for stuff I am listening to -
Winds - The Imaginary Direction of Time
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - (title escapes me now)
King's X - Dogman
Intruder - Psycho Savant
Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
Down and Above - Anodyne (a really cool heavy alt rock band that reminds me of the early 90s)
Draconian - Where Lovers Mourn
Zero Hour - Towers of Avarice

and of course

Some stupid Enertia cd :loco:

Lots of other great stuff too

Anton

Wow, another DNA fan! And a King's X fan too. :OMG: Dude, do you have DNA's first album? I prefer it over Anodyne, although Anodyne rocks too. And Dogman, simply one of the best albums ever :headbang: Have you been on the King's X forum before? Your user name seems familiar. Anyways, welcome to the board, oh ye of cool musical taste :wave:

P.S. Are you in a band?

Good to see some familiar faces around here posting what they have been spinning!

On todays listening agenda:
Anthrax - The Greater of 2 Evils
Victor Smolski, Friends and Symphonic Orchestra - Majesty & Passion
Century Media Dio tribute
Masterplan - Aeronautics
Sign of 4 - Dancing With St.Peter

& that should put me straight through til the end of the work day! :D

Joe

ENERTIA_Joe said:
Good to see some familiar faces around here posting what they have been spinning!

On todays listening agenda:
..Victor Smolski, Friends and Symphonic Orchestra - Majesty & Passion..
OK.. What the heck is THAT!? Sounds curious and potentially awesome.

ENERTIA_Joe said:
..Masterplan - Aeronautics..
I don't know about anyone else, but as far as consistently good songwriting, I found the debut Masterplan a bit lacking. This puppy, however, seems to be everything I could have ever wanted out of this collection of musicians. Way cool!

My entries for today:
CelticLegacy - RESURRECTION, 2004 (pretty awesome Celtic melodic hard rock/metal)
Annihilator - REFRESH THE DEMON, 1996 (I don't care what anyone else says, I like Jeff's singing and I like this disc a lot)
Armored Saint - RAISING FEAR, 1987? (bad ass. I particularly like "Human Vulture," "Crisis of Life," and the totally awesome cover of Skynyrd's "Saturday Night Special")
Seventh Key - THE RAGING FIRE, 2004 (Kansas rarely sounded better than this, though the projects shouldn't be compared anyway.. Mike Slamer is a frickin' genius)
JSS - PRISM, 2002? (I shouldn't have waited so long to grab his solo material)
Victim - POWER HUNGRY, 1984 (self-digitized Texas bar metal EP. Some great stuff in places, but overall it's patchy. Fun to listen to, though..)
Headstone Epitaph - POWER GAMES, 1999? (I just have to buy almost everything produced by Dennis Ward. This release wasn't a disappointment)
Various Artists - THE PILLAR, 2004 (personal comp of bad-ass metal from the past 13 years or so.. Tracklistings available upon request if I didn't already post it to this thread..)
Various Artists - PauerKorde Audio II, 2004 (personal comp of AOR/Radio rock mostly from the 80's, long ago compe on cassette, just updated to digital this year)

I'll never get through all of that before the day's end or before my MP3 player batteries discharges fully.. DOH!

Victor Smolski is an instrumental disc w/ him on gtr & a bunch of guests (Peavy, Terrana & others). Its mostly rock/metal classical tunes, but there is csome cool bonus stuff @ the end of it ( I have the Russian version). Licks & solos from Rage songs w/o any accompanyment. What a talented guy he is....

What I've been listening to...
PANTERA - Power Metal, Cowboys From Hell, Vulgar Display of Power
(The song "We'll Meet Again" from Power Metal is one of my all time fave songs by them & Dime's solo in that tune was amazing to me (but what solo by that guy truly wasn't amazing). I am going ot revisit DamagePlan & see if I can appreciate it any more than I initially did...

Today @ work:
Tak Matsumoto - The Hit Parade (Jap Gtr player from The B'z)
$ign of 4 - Dancing w/ St. Peter (Phil Mogg solo album w/ Jeff Kollman on gtr)
Enditol - demo tracks (checking out some tunes my friend Steve form The Academy of Shred recommended - good stuff very progressive, but not typical Fates Warning style stuff!!!)

Later today I will be checking out:
Soilwork - Stabbing The Drama
& new releases form Communic (Nevermore wannabes based on previous stuff i've heard by them) & Dog Faced Gods (whose last disc was a serious ass kicker!)

Joe

Still continuing on w/ listening to Pantera - "Far Beyond Driven" in the car & @ work I spun "Projects In The Jungle" / "I Am The Night". Dime is truly deserving of all the legendary status he will be known for throughout the ages...

Other tunes I spun today include:

Sean Baker Orchestra (Good instrumental shred disc...)
Pete Lesperence - Down In It (much more poppy than his band Harem Scarem, who have a new disc all ready to release & according to early reports, it is quite heavy - I look very forward to hearing that one....)
Soilwork - Stabbing The Drama (Continuing on from the sound of thier last disc, Figure Number Five. A lot of their older fans are bitching abou this release, but I'm enjoying it so far...
Fozzy - All That Remains (WOW!!!) Their earlier discs are nothing in comparasion to this! No cover tunes this time around (although they redo a couple Sick Speed songs on here). Some guests on this disc make it truly a great album that will be getting a lot of play in the car in coming weeks...

What have you been listening to this week?

Recently:
Masterplan - Back For My Life EP
Damned Nation - Sign Of Madness
Shadows Fall - The War Within
The Thornbirds - All The Same (the poppier side of King's X)
Yogi - mix CD (the proggier side of King's X)
Liquid Tension Experiment
Screamin Cheetah Wheelies - s/t (great blues rock)
The Kinks - Phobia (one of my favorite albums - ever)
The Hang Ups - Second Story (power pop)
The Velvet Crush - Soft Sounds (Byrds-esque)
King's X - 2 CD compilation I made

Forgive my abscence on here recently, as work, domestic duties & a very demanding exercise program have been taking up a good portion of my time lately.

Enough boring shit - onto what I've been spinning lately...
Judas Priest - Angel Of Retribution (VERY solid comeback disc.....)
Machine Head - Thru The Ashes of Empires (IMO - their best since "Burn...")
Killswitch Engage - The End Of Heartache (one of my faves from 2004)
Jack In The Box - Stigma
Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
Humanimal - s/t

Look for me to post more regularly here. What have you been listening to???
Joe

ENERTIA_Joe said:
Forgive my abscence on here recently, as work, domestic duties & a very demanding exercise program have been taking up a good portion of my time lately.
Demanding exercise prog, eh? I'm afraid to ask...

ENERTIA_Joe said:
Enough boring shit - onto what I've been spinning lately...
Judas Priest - Angel Of Retribution (VERY solid comeback disc.....)
It's definitely a far cry from the crap of the last two discs, but my jury's still out (of course, I haven't listened to it all loud in the car yet)

ENERTIA_Joe said:
...What have you been listening to???
Joe
I'm really digging the new Cloudscape - CLOUDSCAPE release. Very much like Last Tribe & not far from SectionA or Tears of Anger.
Also:
Aftershok - BURNING CHROME: Very healthy post Shok Paris stuff from Vic Hix.
Frozen Tears - METAL HURRICANE: Reminds me of all the old GAMA Musikverlag releases on Scratch & Hot Blood Records..
A few others that are escaping my sieve-like memory just this moment..

NP: Kamelot - THE BLACK HALO: Well, this one is on par with EPICA. A few monster tunes, a bunch of extremely well executed filler and a couple of clunkers. It's in no way bad, but it makes me sleepy.

Well, it's mostly been power pop, since I'm making another compilation. But on the metal side of things:
Lanfear - Another Golden Rage (not as good as The Art Effect, but still solid)
Balance Of Power - Heathenology (2CD/DVD, live stuff and a retrospective CD)
Manticora - 8 Deadly Sins
Wendigo - Reconnecting EP (Stonehenge singer's new band, a bit different)
Dead Soul Tribe - The January Tree (would've been a 2004 fave, if not for the political/religio-social messages)
Titanic - Maiden Voyage (80's styled power metal, good stuff)
Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio

Tim (good to see ya around Joe)

ENERTIA_Joe said:
...What have you been listening to???
Joe
OK.. Now that I'm home, I can more completely answer the query:

Stormwitch - WITCHCRAFT: I had to pick this up out of curiosity. Understand that I bought TALES OF TERROR back in 1985 solely on album cover value. After that, I snagged up everything I could find on Scratched Records or produced under the GAMA Musikverlag flag. I've never cared for the singer, few of the songs really hook me, and I just don't understand the raving that goes on about this band. Of course, I've now only heard these two, and haven't heard anything between, but for my money, I'd really have rather had Gravestone get this popular. They shredded!
Masquerade - IN DISGUISE: Pretty fine 80's-like hair metal for half of it, then it starts getting modern.
Freak Kitchen - SPANKING HOUR: These guys just RULE!
Tommy Funderburk - ANYTHING FOR YOU: Great AOR solo album, though I'm a bit surprised at the guy's voice. I expected something more smooth..
Outland - LONG WAY HOME: My buddy Jeff nailed it on this one. Great AOR in just about all respects, and they got Pat Torpey to do the drums!