Now Playing

Dream Theater - Octavarium The jury is still out on this one. But the more I listen to it, the more I like it.
Presto Ballet - Peace Among The Ruins Attention lovers of 'Old School Prog!' You must buy this disc NOW! This is my favorite disc of 2005 (so far)! Imagine if you could mix Kansas, Genesis, Styx, Yes, Deep Purple, and Dream Theater into one band.... you'd have Presto Ballet! Sure, they're not as technical as DT, but the song writing made some awesome tunes!! Total 70's Rock vibe here, all the way down to the analog production!
Shadow Gallery - Room V Best SG to date. Plus, it picks up where Tyranny left off.
Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic: Calling Great disc! Nils K. Rue is finally getting some control over his voice as I always thought that he was trying to hard on previous releases. Very solid disc!

Avenged Sevenfold - City Of Evil (this album is kicking my ass! Songs all 5-9 minutes long yet they never get stale. Reminds me of Galactic Cowboys at times, i.e. the intro to Bat Country. Heavy, but with great harmonies and some nice quiet moments as well. Just an amazing CD!) :headbang:

Hey!

Good to see people posting here in my ridiculous extended abscence form posting here (just not enough time in a day & ever since I got a lecture @ work about going ot heavy metal web sites during office hours, I have to lay somewhat low....)

Anyway, my current spins are:
Avenged Sevenfold - City Of Evil (totally agree w/ Tim on this one! I sort of think of them as Helloween meets Pantera, but they definitely have thier own unique vibe. This one comes highly recommended by me....)

Byzantine - ...And They Shall Take Up Serpants (this one is not for the faint at heart, as it is quite brutal, but its been in heavy rotation in the car all week. I guess a good way to basically describe them is to picture lamb Of God w/ a lot of weird/cool melodic parts thrown in.I'm hoping I get to see them live at some point this year & just found out they are in fact playing a festival we were scheduled to play, but wwe had to turn it down due to someone in the band having a prior engagement planned).

There are more, but those are the 2 that have been played the most lately.

I promise to post more here again soon - Keep your posts coming!!!
Joe

Hey Stardust!
Thanks for stopping by! I liked Circus Maximus & are looking forward to seeing them in Atlanta in 2 months (speaking of which I need to buy plane tickets SOON!!!).

My spin for the day is Forty Deuce (featuring Richie Kotzen). Its great modern sounding rock. I can't really think of another band they sound like, but the hooks in the first track "Oh My God (I Fucked Up Again)" grabbed me on the first listen, which is almost a ncessity these days considering the amount of music that is out there...

Over the weekend, we played out in Edmeston, NY, so on the road Jeff & I listened to:
Byzantine - ... And They Shall take Up Serpents
Journey - Generations
Halford - Live Insurrection
Accept - Restless & Wild / Balls To The Wall

More later this week! I have quite a few projects at work, which mean I'll be listening to a lot of music...
Joe

Stardust2112 said:
I've been spinning Circus Maximus ..

~Christina
I, too, have been enjoying that release. It's kind of enigmatic, 'cause the progressive parts can be difficult to appreciate at times, then the band ties it together with an incredibly catchy melody line and you're back in the listeners' seat.. Very well composed & executed, and I'm sure the diversity & subtleties will insure it's enjoyed for a long time..

Now, getting to brand spanking (expletive deleted) new listening, I just managed to locate a full rip of Lande/Allen last night. Oh.. my.. (gerund form expletive deleted) DARWIN! Cannot wait for this to make it to my grubby paws in commercial form. I didn't really have expectations regarding how the two singers might complement each other but I was shocked (in a good way) at the results. The songs range in tempo and in immediacy, but a select few are destined to be classics. Composition & musicianship of all participants is exemplary throughout. At all costs, y'all must get an ear on this masterpiece..

..out.

Hey Paul,
In total agreement on the Allen / lande disc - had no idea what exactly to expect, but really enjoyed it, as I'm a big fan of both of them (Russell Allen is a monster in the live arena!). This one will be a guaranteed buy at a ProgPower vendor table in September....

I'm now listening to a Dokken best of that I grabbed last night. Interesting how it has tunes form all eras of the band (& a majority of the songs I hoped would be on it) & makes me think back to when I saw them at Alrosa Villa in 1999 w/ Reb beach on gtr - they were on fire that night & were like a bunch of ass kicking, hungry 20 year olds!

Other recent spins:
Racer X - Best of the Newer stuff (homemade compilation)
Magna Fi - Burn Out The Stars

Joe

Vanishing Point - Embrace The Silence (awesome!)
Farmer Boys - The Other Side
Black Majesty - Silent Company (good, but I liked Sands of Time more)
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Galactic Cowboys - compilation I made
Avenged Sevenfold - City Of Evil
RA - Duality (not quite as good as the first, but still rockin)
Saidian - For Those Who Walk The Path Forlorn
Freak Kitchen - Move
The Undertones - Best Of (like a more refined Ramones)
Loopy - Smile Back Home (a great power pop album)
Soil - Redefined
The Maggots - Do The Maggot!
The Blue Van - The Art Of Rolling
Shout Out Louds - Howl Howl Gaff Gaff
The Shore - s/t
Rush Of Ushers - Delightfully
Y & T - Unearthed Volume 2

Good picks as always, Tim! We need to do another trade sometime soon....

Latest listens:
Avenged Sevenfold - City Of Evil
Bruce Dickinson - Tyranny Of Souls
F5 - A Drug For All Seasons (I'm heavily disappointed w/ this one! Spent $13 for a very weak Disturbed clone.....)
Pod - Hung (Tim, have you ever heard this? I am positive this one is somethnig you'd really like if you haven't).

Joe

ENERTIA_Joe said:
Pod - Hung (Tim, have you ever heard this? I am positive this one is somethnig you'd really like if you haven't).

Joe

No, can't say I have. Is there some way I can hear samples of it? What does it sound like?

Sure, a trade sounds cool to me Joe. I haven't been buying as much new stuff, but a smaller trade would work. Shoot me an email sometime...

First of all, my current spins for the day....

Love/Hate - Lets Rumble (I love this album (as it came out in 1994 & you'll read a bit more about that below...) & just about everything they did up thru 1997.) I played a least 2 of their songs in previous bands I was in over the years & just don't think Enertia could do a convincing L/H cover, BUT I will say that Scoot , Roman & Jeff all surprise me w/ their versitility, who knows??? ;-))

Jizzy Pearl - Vegas Must Die (Heard 3 songs form this last night & that is what inspired me to break out the L/H. I liked this & will give it more spins later in the week...)

Dream Theater - Octavarium (although most people on one of the other baords I frequent, Perpetual Motion panned this disc, I actually like it. Train Of Thought was heavier, but this one still had enough moody elements to keep my interest.)

Bruce Dickinson - Balls To Picasso (2CD remastered) (Even though I will probably never buy another Maiden disc ever again as IMO, they haven't made a world class record worthy of their name in nearly 20 years (HA!), I like all of BD's solo material & this one is no exception. I think one thing I really like about BtP is it reminds me of what a great frame of mind I was in when this came out - 1994 was definitely the favorite year of my life so far....

Tim - I'm VERY surprised I stumped you on this band, as you usually are up on all the obscure bands that have the King's X / Galactic Cowboys vibe!! I will definitely hook you up w/ this & some other cool stuff Ive gotten in recent times & will email you soon to set it up - better yet, just send me a reminder email & I'll get cracking on making you some CDrs...

Joe

At work
Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists

In the car
Souls At Zero - s/t

both have been in heavy rotation lately....
What have you been listening to?

Joe

Angel Dust - Of Human Bondage
Pathos - Katharsis
Follow For Now - s/t
The Candyskins - Live at the Zodiac
The Beatles - Shea/Candlestick Park boot

In the car:
The Kinks - Kinda Kinks
The Kinks - The Kink Kontroversy
The Kinks - Face To Face
Keane - Hopes & Fears
Dare - Beneath The Shining Water
Scream Sophie - Secrets In A Jar
Vertical Horizon - Go
Feel - s/t
The Illuminati - On Borrowed Time

That's all for now. Joe, send me your CD list when you get a chance...

Now spinning:
Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine (pretty good so far especially considering I thought it would be totally awful! There is actually one song I liked on the first listen & don't think I could say that about this band since Fabulous Disaster!)

Plenty more new stuff to spin - will post more later....
Joe

SatansCrush said:
:wave: Does Club 977... All 80's... All the time.... count? :Spin:
No, it should be DementiaRadio. :headbang:

Speaking of which, Joe, are you ever going to get back on the air here? :D We've been promoting the hell out of Enertia over there and we always talk about the "Phantom DJ/Enertia Bassist!" :lol:

Back to the subject.....
Tiles A friend turned me on to these guys from Michigan. Pretty catchy hooks with some good musicianship. Not real heavy, but good for driving. Other than that, haven't listened to much new new stuff lately.

ENERTIA_Joe said:
What have you been listening to?

Joe
You guys are going to sh!t! Currently spinning: Caldera - CALDERA (1976, 24-bit/96kHz digital remaster reissued in 2004) Latin fusion (kinda like jazzy instrumental classic Santana).

Long ago, amongst a bunch of vinyl I inherited from my oldest brother when he moved out of state, I acquired Caldera's 1977 release, SKY ISLAND. It was in bad shape, but it was cool mood music. I've been hoping to find it on CD forever, but so far, I've been out of luck. Well, the other day, I had the TV set to smooth jazz (usually leave it on this to entertain the cat while she's alone), and a very cool Al Di Meola/McGlaughlin/de Lucia sounding piece was playing. The artist was Strunz and Farah, and one of the tidbits of trivia that popped on the screen was that Strunz started out in Caldera. This of course, renewed my vigour to search. I found that Strunz & Farah have about 18000 releases from the past 20 years, and that Caldera's s/t debut had been reissued. I snagged one Strunz & Farah and the Caldera release from CDQuest.com (don't understand why both items shipped at the same time from the same vendor, but only Caldera showed up so far.. I'm hoping the USNail is at fault and not CDQuest)

'nuff said.

Still kickin' with Allen/Lande & Circus Maximus in the car..

Currently spinning as I type...

Am I Blood - The Truth Inside The Dying Sun
(Finally officially released, although I was lucky enough to score a very rare pressing of this a couple years ago - The best album Metallica never made!)

Other current spins:
The Rolling Stones - Some Girls (2005 remaster)

King's X - Orge Tones
(An album I wanted to love, but have mixed feeling about even after 6 listens)

Joe
(who will be returning to the Dementia Radio airwaves in the late fall once I get settled in a new home....)

ENERTIA_Joe said:
Currently spinning as I type...

Am I Blood - The Truth Inside The Dying Sun
(..The best album Metallica never made!)..

Now, I thought Overkill's FROM THE UNDERGROUND AND BELOW or BLOODLETTING owned that title? I had long ago soured to Overkill after grabbing I HEAR BLACK and being totally underwhelmed, songwise. A dude on another list I'm on demonstrated for me the error of my ways with a homegrown compilation, and I've picked up several other discs by them..

I'll have to look for smaples of this Am I Blood release..

Nocturnal Rites - Grand Illusion (after one listen, I'm really liking it)
Symphorce - Godspeed (Brainstorm's latest has much better songs)
Circus Maximus - First Chapter (solid album)
Soulfly - Dark Ages (good stuff)