Now Playing

I just heard the new Brainstorm song "All Those Words" on Metal Express Jukebox. What a freakin awesome song! :OMG: Very melodic, catchy, heavy, with some female background vox thrown in. I can't wait for this album! :headbang:

Dark Tranquility- Character
DoomSword- Let Battle Commence
Firewind- Forged By Fire
Kreator- Enemy Of God
Penetrator- Unleash The Fury
Poverty's No Crime- One In A Million
Tysondog- Beware Of The Dog
UFO- Force It

Good to see a little bit of action here! Some of my current spins over the last week or so include...

Fozzy - All That Remains (http://www.fozzyrock.com)
Rich Ward tears it up on the guitar on this disc & makes me really look forward ot the new Stuck Mojo later this year....)

Starbreaker - S/t (http://www.tonyharnell.com)
Tony Harnell's new band. I'm not much for high pitched vocals, but TH always sounds good to me. This album is a bit heavier & more modern than TNT & of course that makes me like it a lot. An early fave of 2005 for me....

Ten Years After - Now (www.tenyearsafternow.com)
Another reunion album I didn't even know about until I got it last week. Although I was surprised Alvin lee wasn't in the band, youngster, Joe Gooch who took his place does an amazing job & this disc rocks VERY hard,especially considering what a bunch of old timers they are (except for Gooch, who wasn't even born until 1977!)

Brainstorm - Liquid Monster
Just got this one (& a few other brand spanking new titles), so I'm right in the middle of listening to it as I type this. So far it sounds typical (which means since I'm a Brainstorm fan, its good!), but I also have to say I didn't like their cover of the Judas Priest song, "Before The Dawn". Andy Franck's accent totally ruins it & the gtr solo sounds very uninspired compared to the Preist chestnut.Title track has a great solo in it, so I guess they should stick to their own songs! :)

American Motherload - Comes To Life (www.americanmotherload.com)
DAMN! Where the hell did this killer band come from??!? More rock & Roll than metal, but their singer is the big selling point to me, as he has a voice that sounds like Ray Gillen meets Jeff Keith. Hopefully we can hook up w/ these guys for a show sometime soon...

More stuff to spin this week includes:
Evergrey - A Night To Remember
& one of my most anticipated discs of 2005 so far...
Corrosion of Conformity - In The Arms Of God

Keep the playlists coming!
Joe

Hey Joe! I know, it's been a long time since my last post. What have I been listening to lately? Andromeda - Extension Of The Wish has been spinning a lot in the car as of late. That CD is sick! Those guys take Progressive Metal to a whole new level! Also been checking out Brainstorm and Damned Nation as well (thanks Evil for introducing me to them!) and, as always, that damn Vanden Plas CD always finds it's way back in the stereo! :D

Hey MGD!

Good to see you over here! Thanks for posting your playlist....

Here is some of the new stuff I've been spinning (unfortunately no time to give details as I have a ton of projects going on @ work...)

Anthrax - The Greater Of Two Evils
Pantera - The Great Southern trendkill
Diamond Head - Live: Manchester, UK 2/7/05 (great boot w/ killer new singer)
Xciter - S (George Lynch pre-Dokken)
Audioslave - Be Yourself (single from upcoming disc)
Midnight - Sakada (rough mix) (UGH - this guy NEEDS Crimson Glory..)

Joe

Lately:
Dark Moor - Beyond The Sea
Overlord's Perpetual
Lanfear - Another Golden Rage
Queen - Greatest Hits 1, 2, & 3
Perzonal War - Faces

I recently discovered this band Jester's Funeral. They have some samples and a new demo mp3 (great song) on their site, but I can't find their albums anywhere.

Hey Tim! Good to see you stopping by here! I am slowly getting caught up on my email & starting to "work" our MySpace page, so I will email you privately sometime this week...

I've been listening to:
Diamond Head - All Will Be Revealed (killer disc!!!)
Soilwork - Stabbing The Drama (sound a lot like their last couple, but I still like it - catchy choruses & great production)
Avenged Sevenfold - Waking The Fallen (I keep coming back to this one - looking very forward to their next disc...)
Ozzy - Bible of Ozz Box set (I've listened to a few tracks on disc 4 so far & must say I'm not too impressed - ozzy sounds good singing, but unfortunately, Pro Tools can make anyone sound like an American Idol champion! I'll give this one another chance & see what I think)
I watched Ramones - End of The Century this week & really enjoyed it. They created a style that many bands "borrowed" (Sex Pistols, The Clash, etc) & didn't get the success they deserved. Definitely worth checking out...

Thanks for reading & I'll post here again in a few days.....
Joe

new stuff I'm spinning....

Biss - Face Off (w/ marc Storace on vox)
Russell Allen's Atomic Soul (I really like this disc! 70s hard rock vibe & RA sings agressive as hell on this at times which I really dig...)
Harem Scarem - Overload (HS is one of my fave bands so its a given that I love this. Quite heavy at times for them, too!
Brand New Sin - Recipe For Disaster - Pretty good, but I see myself growing bored of this after a couple listens (& am already at that point now...)
Bruce Dickinson - A Tyranny of Souls - While this pisses all over anything Maiden has done since the 80s, this is definitely my least favorite BD solo effort, but I knew following up Chemical Wedding would be a VERY difficult task. Having said that, there are 4 songs I really like, & the rest are a bit too average for me to grasp onto....

What have YOU been listening to?
Joe

Next anticipated releases:
Freak Kitchen - Organic
new King's X

ENERTIA_Joe said:
new stuff I'm spinning....

Harem Scarem - Overload (HS is one of my fave bands so its a given that I love this. Quite heavy at times for them, too!
Never knew you were into them, Joe.. I still think MOOD SWINGS is my favorite, but there are great songs on each release (I'm unfamiliar with the Rubber material, though). WEIGHT OF THE WORLD was about half & half for me, so I'm curious how I'll like the new one.
ENERTIA_Joe said:
What have YOU been listening to?
Joe

Next anticipated releases:
Freak Kitchen - Organic
new King's X
Ooh! Freak Kitchen is coming out with something new? Cool! I just got my copy of LIQUID MONSTER from Brainstorm, and unfortunately, have only listened to it once in the car on the way home from the Sonata Arctica (w/ Division, Odin's Court & Engage) show last Wednesday night. It was after 2am and I had to pee so bad, I couldn't pay close enough attention. What I did register sounded like it stands to be second only to AMBIGUITY for me. I also finally got Kamelot's BLACK HALO, which seems to be holding up better than either of their last two for me (songwise; in intrinsic quality of overall production, the past three discs have ruled -- I just haven't gotten into many of the songs. This one seems more consistently likable for me).

The real beauty/torture of all is that I recently had the headgasket go up in the 230k mile 1993 Honda Civic DX coupe, so I needed to replace it. I wanted to buy used, but had a hard time finding the models I was looking into in manual transmission anywhere. Rather than go auto, I bought new. And here she is:
newsub01vga.gif

Since the stock stereo pretty much sucked ass, I upgraded, and though it cost me, the tunes are sounding far better than ever they have before, so I'm digging it.

Freak Kitchen has arrived!!!!!
I have super high expectations & am not exactly sure what I think just yet, but it is really well produced & I do like it more than I liked thier last disc, Move (Dead Soul Men is my fave & & actually still rates as my fave disc of the new millenium (from 2000 til now)). More thoughts on this later in the week....

Harem Scarem still kicks as sa week later although a few ballads at the ned sort of prompt me to hit the track skip button on the CD player. Its really hard for me to drive & listen ot wimpy music. I had a car totally tailgating me the other night for at least 8 miles & I needed some Pantera to ease my anger, but I am really working on controlling my road rage, especially after running a car off the road a few years ago..(no I'm not kidding!)

On another note! Nice new ride , Paul! I blieve I rode in your old car back in 2000 to & from the local hotel to Powermad. Always cool to know a car has served you well, as I felt that way about my last car (1988 Pontiac Grand Prix SE Ltd Edition) that had 160k miles & the engine still ran like a top, but I dorve it for 6 months w/o a muffler & zero back brakes!!! Yes - I am insane!!! LOL

How was the Division show the other night? They are one of my fave bands to play gigs w/ & are always a killer live band. Their new tunes fucking rock too! Check them out at: http://www.mattcrooks.com/division.html

Joe

ENERTIA_Joe said:
Freak Kitchen has arrived!!!!!
I have super high expectations & am not exactly sure what I think just yet, but it is really well produced & I do like it more than I liked thier last disc, Move
Hmm.. Interesting. My first exposure was MOVE and that's still my favorite, though SPANKING HOUR is pretty damned tight with it in the race now. I didn't get into the earlier ones, though I didn't give them more than a spin or two (I found MOVE to be immediately accessible, even in its slight progressiveness, while DEAD SOUL MEN didn't open itself to me)

ENERTIA_Joe said:
..Its really hard for me to drive & listen ot wimpy music.
I can appreciate that, though there are times when I'm fine with lounge jazz like Rippingtons or Spyro Gyra. Usually, though, esp. when driving to volleyball or something, I prefer something kick ass and fast, and very loud.

ENERTIA_Joe said:
...but I am really working on controlling my road rage, especially after running a car off the road a few years ago..(no I'm not kidding!)
Now you can't tease us like that without more details.. *lol* So, was the other guy deserving at least? Or is your apparent guilt based on finding out later that he wasn't?

ENERTIA_Joe said:
On another note! Nice new ride , Paul! I blieve I rode in your old car back in 2000 to & from the local hotel to Powermad. Always cool to know a car has served you well,
I'm ashamed to admit I'm not sure about giving you a ride. I did drink alot that weekend and it was several years ago, so.... ? *lol*

But, yeah. The Honda was a very good car for an amazingly long time. I did hope to get another 100k out of it before ditching it, though. Seems my plans weren't meant to come true. I had some cash left over from selling the townhouse, and I had definitely got my money's worth out of the Civic, so I figured why not?. There were factory incentives to buying the WRX, so I did. I must say it is a fucking BLAST to drive. Of course, gas prices being what they are, it's a bit frustrating..

ENERTIA_Joe said:
How was the Division show the other night? They are one of my fave bands to play gigs w/ & are always a killer live band. Their new tunes fucking rock too! Check them out at: http://www.mattcrooks.com/division.html

Joe

I'm happy to report that contrary to my feelings following the Metal Church show in (Dec/Nov 2004?), it IS still possible to see a show with good sound at Jaxx. (Metal Church was so frickin' loud that the only thing I heard when the new singer, for whom I have oodles of respect, and regard as a very good singer and frontman, was the sound of Donald Duck. All other frequencies were completely cancelled out by the unnecessarily excessive volume). Odin's Court is a fully original progressive metal band from around here, and they feature the guy who was the leader of Critical Path, the last band I sang for. I was shocked by how good their sound was as second of 4 bands, and they were impressive. As progressive as they are, it's difficult to be sure whether I like their music without a bit more exposure. Division was better than I found them to be at the Metal Church show, but maybe the sound quality had something to do with it. The 3 new songs definitely sound like a bit of a maturing departure in songwriting (I don't mean this in a bad way). I do want to go grab them from the website and hear them in the studio sense. Although I'm no fan of the music Sonata Arctica plays, they were impressive in every sense, and what wasREALLY cool was the reception they got for their first show in the US. There was a sizable crowd (300+, predominantly under 25 years old, to boot), and they were deep into the music, singing along to everything and fists were constantly flying. I think there's hope for the genre yet.

Also, have you heard upcoming Morgana Lefay (back on Black Mark Records for Darwin knows what reason)? Holy fuck but it's ripe! They haven't lost a step.

Ivanhoe - Walk In Mindfields
Secret Sphere - Heart & Anger
Freak Kitchen - Organic
Perzonal War - Faces
Black Majesty - Sands Of Time
Titanic - Maiden Voyage
Jester's Funeral - Shifting:Skywards
Brainstorm - Liquid Monster
Dyve - Dust Of An Age
Resistance - Lies In Black
Tourniquet - Crawl To China

At work:
Harem Scarem - Overload
Jake E lee - Retraced
Spiritual Beggars - Demons
Frameshift - Abscence of Empathy (Seb bach on vocals! What a KILLER performance!!!)

In The Car:
Lamb of God - As The Palaces Burn
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Nevermore - Enemies Of Reality (Sneap remix)
Freak Kitchen - Organic

Good to see you post some of your current spins, Tim.

Also nice to FINALLY see another member of Enertia around these parts!
Welcome, Scott!

Hiya Joe!
See you on Thursday.

In The Car:
Crossfade
Enertia album #5 (untitled)

On The PC:
Sarah McLachlan Afterglow Live Concert

Hey Joe...

HammerFall - Chapter V
Stratovarius - Destiny
Yngwie Malmsteen - Unleash The Fury - not as good as Attack!
Persuader - Sanity Soiled....bad ass song.
Iced Earth - Glorious Burden
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings - God I just can't get off this cd, I may need help!!!
Legacy - Stand and Conquer
Also my demo stuff...hope to have something for you to hear real soon Joe.

One of these days when I get off my ass and send the money to Joe - I'll have the new Enertia..LOL

Hey to Scott also...Stacey here from Ohio...you "bought me the beer" out of your cooler :worship: ...when I came over the night Persipone Dream or whatever opened...with the chick singer...LOL
Talk to ya soon
Stacey

Hey Stacey!...
how the hell r ya? all's good here....working on the New new album. shit man...if you don't have it yet..i highly recommend "force"....i feel it's some of our best stuff .anyhoo...just wanted to say hi.. and your welcome for the beverage!.. my cooler usually has a few extra in it for just such an emergency.

In the car: Enertia - Teased out with a cracker(working title)

On The PC: Enertia - New stuff
Annihilator - Never Neverland

Cool to see you remembered me for what almost 3 years ago......where the fuck does the time go!!!!
Doing good....auditioning bass players...should have one soon.
Then we can come over and open for you guys..lol
You shamed me into it...LOL...a friend of mine should be putting it on his pay-pal account tonight. I have been so busy writing and trying to get this band of the ground.
Anyway great talkin to ya....hope to make the trip again and see you guys....really looking forward to it. Talked to Darin from Legacy and he said I could make the trip with them, or follow them so.....I'm seriously considering it.
So..........we'll see......

Russell Allen's Atomic Soul - as Joe mentioned earlier, great 70's vibe. Nice.
Jake E. Lee Retraced - Another disc chock full of bluesy guitar that you would expect from Jake. Excellent disc!
Circle II Circle Middle Of Nowhere great music and lyrics, but the whole morphing one track to the other thing gets on my nerves.
Porcupine Tree Deadwing - though I don't care much for PT's earlier stuff, this disc is by far their best! Love the title track and "Arriving Somewhere, Not Here".

Russell Allen's Atomic Soul- S/T
Alice In Chains- Facelift
Sean Baker Orchestra- S/T :worship: :Smokin:
Brainstorm- Liquid Monster
Deep Purple- Burn (Deluxe Ed.)
Freak Kitchen- Organic
Gary Hoey- Endless Summer 2 (Sndtrk.)
Legacy- Stand & Conquer
Rob Rock- Holy Hell
Saigon Kick (personal comp.)
Triumvirat- Spartacus
:loco: